P&b Running Club

Have been on holiday for a couple of weeks - took my running stuff to Cardiff and ran around the Sophia Gardens along the Taff Trails. Only did 5k as I'd had a fair amount of wine the night before! Have entered the Moray 10k on 4th Sept and have the Baxter's 10k in October, too. Looking forward to them both. Had wanted to go sub 50 mins, but looking very unlikely due to lack of proper training recently.

You have plenty of time to aim for a sub-50 in October. Time to put the effort in now.

3 weeks till Glasgow run - gulp!

Not worried about the run itself, was wondering if anyone better experienced than myself could give me more general tips for the day?

- changing/showering facilities, logic tells me there will be some?

- storage, if tells me if there's changing, then you have to store your kit somewhere. Or do you just pay some local urchin a couple of quid to 'watch your stuff mister?'

- numbers - it's been near 30 years since I was at an Athletic competition - do you still get a number? Do you still have to take safety pins to attach it onto your vest? (God I feel old)

- How long before start time is it best to be there? how long does pre-race admin/registration take?

- is it etiquette to wear headphones to race? Or is that not allowed/advisable?

- any other tips I haven't even thought would be relevant?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Most of this will be explained in your race pack - this will include your number, a map of the route (water stations, toilets etc.), detailed plan of the start and finish and the bag drop at the start and where to get your kit back at the end. This should be through in the next week or two - I wore my headphones last year and as it is a closed route you should be ok.

The race is really well organised (half marathon anyway) and the support along the route is superb.

One thing that wasnt mentioned in the pack is that there are post race massages available for a small charitable donation.

I managed 10 k yesterday in 1hr 5 minutes.

Well happy with that, but doubt I'll be doing it any faster on race day.

Just happy I can run that far to be honest.

Most of this will be explained in your race pack - this will include your number, a map of the route (water stations, toilets etc.), detailed plan of the start and finish and the bag drop at the start and where to get your kit back at the end. This should be through in the next week or two - I wore my headphones last year and as it is a closed route you should be ok.

The race is really well organised (half marathon anyway) and the support along the route is superb.

One thing that wasnt mentioned in the pack is that there are post race massages available for a small charitable donation.

thanks for that, appreciate it.

I was just printing off the course this morning. Must admit to feeling nervous for the first time. I was cool until last night but there's a friend's husband whose running and he's shitting himself. He feels under prepared and now I'm feeling the same. I'll be happier when my race number arrives and I know the finer details such as bag storage and train times.

The actual run should be fine although I've only gone as far a 10 miles in my training.

I suppose my immediate concerns are getting a playlist together for my iPod (according to a reply from the run's Facebook page there is no problem with MP3 players on the course) and hitting my charity target. Anyone else running for charity? I'm £45 short of my target.

I was just printing off the course this morning. Must admit to feeling nervous for the first time. I was cool until last night but there's a friend's husband whose running and he's shitting himself. He feels under prepared and now I'm feeling the same. I'll be happier when my race number arrives and I know the finer details such as bag storage and train times.

The actual run should be fine although I've only gone as far a 10 miles in my training.

I suppose my immediate concerns are getting a playlist together for my iPod (according to a reply from the run's Facebook page there is no problem with MP3 players on the course) and hitting my charity target. Anyone else running for charity? I'm £45 short of my target.

No changing facilities at the start - all facilities located at the finish at Glasgow Green. So I suppose you can stash your stuff there, then brisk walk or really gentle jog up to George Sq could act as a loosener before stretching.

I'm not nervous just now, as I've never done a mass run like this before. But I probably will be on the day, for the same reason, more about the logistics rather than the run itself though probably.

Glad it's ok to wear phones, as it means I can use my Endomondo to regulate my pace. I have a mild heart condition which is ok so long as I'm fairly even-paced and stick to between 4.30 and 5.30 per km, I was worried I'd get all race-adrenalined up, go too fast, take a funny turn and have the pure beamer of being carted away by the first aiders.

I'm really looking forward to this actually.

ETA not doing any charity on this, I go through the month of embarassment that is Movember to do my bit. Always a joy running round Larbert with the local neds howling "118" at me. :lol:

Edited by Boghead ranter

No changing facilities at the start - all facilities located at the finish at Glasgow Green. So I suppose you can stash your stuff there, then brisk walk or really gentle jog up to George Sq could act as a loosener before stretching.

I'm not nervous just now, as I've never done a mass run like this before. But I probably will be on the day, for the same reason, more about the logistics rather than the run itself though probably.

Glad it's ok to wear phones, as it means I can use my Endomondo to regulate my pace. I have a mild heart condition which is ok so long as I'm fairly even-paced and stick to between 4.30 and 5.30 per km, I was worried I'd get all race-adrenalined up, go too fast, take a funny turn and have the pure beamer of being carted away by the first aiders.

I'm really looking forward to this actually.

ETA not doing any charity on this, I go through the month of embarassment that is Movember to do my bit. Always a joy running round Larbert with the local neds howling "118" at me. :lol:

:lol:

Tell my you also wear the wee white vest and shorts.

If so I'll be coming to Larbet in November ;)

Not too sure about no bag storage. Having witnessed the mayhem at the Edinburgh Marathon this year though I can see why they don't want to move bags from the start to the finish line.

Looks like an early start geting to the finish line to drop off bags before heading back to the start. I'll be fucked before the start.

I am running a collection of 4 races for charity starting with teh half marathon and ending with the Loch Ness Marathon four weeks later. I am feeling ok about the 1/2 but the marathon is terrifying me a tthe moment - I am only just getting my head around how far 26 and bit miles are!

Not too sure about no bag storage. Having witnessed the mayhem at the Edinburgh Marathon this year though I can see why they don't want to move bags from the start to the finish line.

Looks like an early start geting to the finish line to drop off bags before heading back to the start. I'll be fucked before the start.

Alternatively you could have someone meet you at the finish line

I am running a collection of 4 races for charity starting with teh half marathon and ending with the Loch Ness Marathon four weeks later. I am feeling ok about the 1/2 but the marathon is terrifying me a tthe moment - I am only just getting my head around how far 26 and bit miles are!

Good luck with that! One a week?

Alternatively you could have someone meet you at the finish line

Already been told that's not an option. It's my wife's last day of maternity leave and she's told me she's not spending it standing in Glasgow Green waiting on me finishing. She can spend it trapped in the house with two screaming kids instead then :P

Good luck with that! One a week?

Indeed with September weekend off.

4th Sept - 1/2 marathon

11th Sept - Cumbernauld 10k

17th Sept - Strathclyde Park Run

24/25th Sept - weekend off

2nd October - Loch Ness Marathon

Hardcore!