P&b Running Club

Yeah did the strathy parkrun this morning. Burst my 5k cherry, just under 34 minutes which I'm pretty pleased with considering I literally couldn't run 100m without gasping for breath 4 weeks ago and the first time I ran further than 4k was Wednesday.

Onwards and upwards

Yeah did the strathy parkrun this morning. Burst my 5k cherry, just under 34 minutes which I'm pretty pleased with considering I literally couldn't run 100m without gasping for breath 4 weeks ago and the first time I ran further than 4k was Wednesday.

Onwards and upwards

Suh weet!

Nice progress.

Onwards and upwards

Very impressive progress. Well done!

I think you need to say something about the dogs though...

:lol:

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to get up early on a Saturday to stand in the rain, however most runners seem to appreciate the work the volunteers do.

a wee 5.25 miler this morning in 37m 25s about 1 and a half mins slower than PB. Not sure what has happened to my pace at minute dropped right off. Got Jed half a week today and hoping to beat my PB for that 1hour 37m - a couple of light runs this week planned

14 hilly miles done this morning.

Wasn't worried about my pace and instead tried to keep my avg heart rate in the 140's.

Just on this, how many of you guys/girls train with a heart rate monitor and at certain levels to improve rather than just running?

Breathing - How many runners are breathing hard when running? Just a general question because I don't think I push hard enough and always run within myself. In other words without getting out of breath or panting when running. Just a follow on to thehoss's question because if I used a heart monitor and went with the recommended guidelines, I would probably run a lot faster.

Breathing - How many runners are breathing hard when running? Just a general question because I don't think I push hard enough and always run within myself. In other words without getting out of breath or panting when running. Just a follow on to thehoss's question because if I used a heart monitor and went with the recommended guidelines, I would probably run a lot faster.

For an actual organised run or parkrun I'd be breathing as hard as I can. Unless Ive got fatigued legs (like yesterday) my breathing is pretty much my bottleneck. When tiring I really have to concentrate on the breathing, posture, etc as I tend to slouch over a bit, which doesnt help.

Edited by Garrowhillclyde

For an actual organised run or parkrun I'd be breathing as hard as I can. Unless Ive got fatigued legs (like yesterday) my breathing is pretty much my bottleneck. When tiring I really have to concentrate on the breathing, posture, etc as I tend to slouch over a bit, which doesnt help.

I also tend to slouch when tired.

Isn't the saying something like you should run at a pace where you could have a conversation with a runner partner easily enough.

Isn't the saying something like you should run at a pace where you could have a conversation with a runner partner easily enough.

I've heard the saying from some coaches that if you can't hold a conversation with your training partner(s), you're running too fast.

I can't see the point of holding something back if you're wanting to train your body to run as fast as it can, though.

Just on this, how many of you guys/girls train with a heart rate monitor and at certain levels to improve rather than just running?

I tend to wear my HR monitor for most training runs but either won't wear it at all for races or just ignore it.

Even if you only look at it after the run, it's still a great way to monitor any improvements. When I was marathon training over the winter I did a 20 mile run averaging 8 minute mile pace and my average HR was only 139 bpm. I'm miles away from that now, but know I'm heading back to that level.

It all depends how far I'm running. If it's a marathon, then for most of it my breathing will be fairly controlled. However if it's a 5k then I'll be breathing as hard as I can.

24 and a half minutes. Looking at my list of park run times, my finishing time has dropped by about a minute every park run I've done. At this rate, in about March 2016, I look forward to finishing it before I start.

Well done, the Rio Olympics should be a dawdle!!

By week 9 I should be doing 5k. So before Christmas.

I know you've said your main target is a 10k next year but I think you plan to do a 5k race in December. Pollok parkrun would be ideal and it'll probably help keep you motivated if you have that as an intermediate target.

I've heard the saying from some coaches that if you can't hold a conversation with your training partner(s), you're running too fast.

I can't see the point of holding something back if you're wanting to train your body to run as fast as it can, though.

You should run at a variety of intensities. A mixture of longer runs at a conversation and some shorter all out runs will make you improve quicker than just constantly doing all out runs. It'll also help prevent injuries.

Have a look at this http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/long-way-0

I bought myself a Garmin Forerunner 210 a couple of weeks back and use the hrm for all of my runs. Just yesterday I ran 11 miles at a 7:50 pace and my average heart rate was 178 bpm. I guess i'm probably pushing myself almost to the limit with a rate like that. Fortunately it drops way down within a couple of minutes of stopping.

Very handy piece of kit though. Would recommend it to anyone.

I bought myself a Garmin Forerunner 210 a couple of weeks back and use the hrm for all of my runs. Just yesterday I ran 11 miles at a 7:50 pace and my average heart rate was 178 bpm. I guess i'm probably pushing myself almost to the limit with a rate like that. Fortunately it drops way down within a couple of minutes of stopping.

Very handy piece of kit though. Would recommend it to anyone.

Knowing your average only tells part of the story and isn't all that helpful unless you know what your maximum heart rate is, and everyone's is different.

The highest I've ever seen my heart rate is 186 (so I treat that as my max) and I know I couldn't maintain an average of 178 for much further than 5k. I certainly couldn't do 11 miles at that level.

However your max could be much higher. What's the highest heart rate that you've ever achieved? Have you ever tried to do a maximum heart rate test? I haven't because they sound brutal.

http://www.polar.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/maximize_performance/running/how_to_determine_your_maximum_heart_rate_for_running

However your max could be much higher. What's the highest heart rate that you've ever achieved? Have you ever tried to do a maximum heart rate test? I haven't because they sound brutal.

I did 342 once under controlled conditions in hospital once, while they were trying to diagnose the dodgy ticker that I have. Scary.