P&b Running Club

Nice one! How much training do you do mileage wise??

Cheers. With the nights drawing in I use the treadmill at the gym during the week for short, but fast, bursts. So midweek i'll only do maybe 8 or 9 miles over 3 sessions with a bit of core work thrown in. I also go to a couple of spin classes.

At the weekend i'll do one long run. I'm up at 10 miles just now at 7:30 (ish) pace so this weekend i'll hopefully push through the 11 mile mark.

Cheers. With the nights drawing in I use the treadmill at the gym during the week for short, but fast, bursts. So midweek i'll only do maybe 8 or 9 miles over 3 sessions with a bit of core work thrown in. I also go to a couple of spin classes.

At the weekend i'll do one long run. I'm up at 10 miles just now at 7:30 (ish) pace so this weekend i'll hopefully push through the 11 mile mark.

I really need to start doing core work, seems everyone who runs at a decent pace incorporates it into their work!

Yes, I need to do some core work, too. I don't think my core exists... I've entered Baxters 10k for next year already (early bird discount) and hoping I can put in the training to get a PB (54:39 is my current PB which I got at that race in 2011). I've managed to get my mitts on a proper jogging buggy so when the boy is at school, I'll be able to get out for a run with the baby as it's too hard for me to get out in have evenings now with it being so dark.

I'm tempted by the Movember one too, although realistically I think the next proper event will be the Great Winter Run in January next year. Only 6k but it's cross country, so something different at least.

Next year will be another half marathon at the Great Cumbrian Run (around the same time as the GSR). Not planning on looking at my running kit until this time next week (enjoying the break), but will restart the trusty 5:2 diet on Monday and get back into the overall health kick. I've got a treadmill in the house so that will probably get used a bit more over the winter, but it bores me to tears. Few shorter runs over the week (probably no more than 5 miles, and perhaps a longer one at the weekend) will probably do me. After last weekend I'm happy with the distance but keen to concentrate on more speed training. Managed to shave off a full minute and a half off my usual pace at the GSR, so it's in there somewhere!

My superfit mate wants me to go running with him tonight. He pooh-poohed 5k and even 10k and demanded we run for a full hour. Little does he realise as soon as I hit the 10k mark I'm stopping for a lie-down.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

My superfit mate wants me to go running with him tonight. He pooh-poohed 5k and even 10k and demanded we run for a full hour. Little does he realise as soon as I hit the 10k mark I'm stopping for a lie-down.

Sooooo did you run the full hour or did you stop after the 10km?

I completed 6.25km in 30mins 33secs this morning. First run since the GSR. It went quite well_ looking forward to seeing what I can do over winter as I usually just give up over the cold months.

Nice one, I couldn't bring myself to start running yet after the GSR. Back tomorrow though, have that movember run to do before I try to move up to a half marathon.

Which is kinda exciting.

Sooooo did you run the full hour or did you stop after the 10km?

Ha Thehoss. After all my chat akin to "I'm going to fail all my exams, then hitting straight A's" chat, I did 11.6km in the hour. I managed to pace myself for the first time in my life so I didn't walk once, even up the (admittedly narrow) inclines. I could have probably have gone on - I had a mash-up mix with a beat that seemed to match my optimum running pace. My weakness in the past has been the lungs, whereas now I reckon it'll probably be my injury-proneness (I once threw my arm out its socket taking a swing in badminton).

But I'm interested... taking the step-up from middle distance to marathon-type running... what's the biggest problem. Achilles? Thighs? Groin? Legs, shoulders, knees and toes?

I was about to give myself a pat on the back when my superfit friend sent me this link of his next venture - Norseman. The fact that many people cross the finishing line in tears leads me to believe it's probably beyond me...."Blowing in the Wind" is quite apt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiO-JRegQmM

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Did Pollok Parkrun yesterday in 18 mins 47 secs. Quite pleased with that as it is my joint second best for that course and have not been able to run all week due to a post GSR 10k slight foot injury. Did a 30 min Metafit class after that which was absolute murder. I forgot how much those kind of workouts hurt - am aching this morning! Was going to do a 10k this morning, but will have to wait until tomorrow I think!

Did Pollok Parkrun yesterday in 18 mins 47 secs. Quite pleased with that as it is my joint second best for that course and have not been able to run all week due to a post GSR 10k slight foot injury. Did a 30 min Metafit class after that which was absolute murder. I forgot how much those kind of workouts hurt - am aching this morning! Was going to do a 10k this morning, but will have to wait until tomorrow I think!

I thought you might have gone to the new parkrun in Victoria Park. From what I've heard it's quite a fast course.

I ran Eglinton parkrun yesterday but ran it as a 23 minute pacer.

Just about to go out for a LSR.

First run since GSR this morning, a mile out down a rocky path I've done loads of tines, tripped and landed smack on my right knee. Thought I was going to vomit or pass out both. Hobbling the mile back home rather sheepishly now.

:-(

I thought you might have gone to the new parkrun in Victoria Park. From what I've heard it's quite a fast course.

I ran Eglinton parkrun yesterday but ran it as a 23 minute pacer.

Just about to go out for a LSR.

Tbh I didn't know about it until they announced the new parkrun right before the race. Am planning on doing it next week.

10 miles exactly yesterday in 1:19:41 secs. Was hoping to push through the 11 mile barrier but I was out on my feet at the end and really had to push myself to hit the 10 miles. Wasn't helped by doing my first mile at 6:20 pace (lovely, gentle downhill start - couldn't help myself) and stupidly taking myself on a route which had over 300 feet of climbing in less than a mile.

These park runs are free and organised by volunteers?

Good stuff.

Yes they are. Have volunteered four times myself so far. There is a core of people who volunteer a lot though at each run.

A two part question here.

Are all stability trainers the same? Or are their levels of stability?

And also, what is your shoe of choice and why? Recommended/budget/fit?

There definitely are different levels of stability. I would advise that you go for a gait analysis to find out what you need.

I wear Brooks Vapor 10's currently. A mid range neutral shoe that I got fitted for at Run4It following gait analysis.

But I'm interested... taking the step-up from middle distance to marathon-type running... what's the biggest problem. Achilles? Thighs? Groin? Legs, shoulders, knees and toes?

Boredom.

Yes they are. Have volunteered four times myself so far. There is a core of people who volunteer a lot though at each run.

There definitely are different levels of stability. I would advise that you go for a gait analysis to find out what you need.

I wear Brooks Vapor 10's currently. A mid range neutral shoe that I got fitted for at Run4It following gait analysis.

I went to run for it for gait analysis and they gave me a pair of Pegasus.

I just wanted to splash on a new set of asics but not if they may not help.