P&b Running Club

Ran the Heaven and Hell Half this morning, oh ya fuker, tough going in the wind and snow. Some mega serious up hills to contend with especially at 8 miles for a 2 and half mile climb, felt like a mountain goat!! And the wind straight into my pus was howling at 30/40mph, loved it though to be honest, felt magic at the end even if my time of 1 hr 50 10 secs was 6 mins off my Alloa time. This was seriously tough going and great training run to get in my legs.

A flat-ish 18 miles in comparison beckons next weekend, bring it on!!

Ran the Heaven and Hell Half this morning, oh ya fuker, tough going in the wind and snow. Some mega serious up hills to contend with especially at 8 miles for a 2 and half mile climb, felt like a mountain goat!! And the wind straight into my pus was howling at 30/40mph, loved it though to be honest, felt magic at the end even if my time of 1 hr 50 10 secs was 6 mins off my Alloa time. This was seriously tough going and great training run to get in my legs.

A flat-ish 18 miles in comparison beckons next weekend, bring it on!!

Aye, I forgot to ask how it went. Sounds like a b*****d, a good b*****d though.

15 miles completed this morning in just over 2 hours. My knees are killing me now though. I've not been out for a lsr for about 3 weeks and I think that is the reason for the pain. I really need to keep up the long runs in the next 4 weeks.

That's a good effort, I was way behind that on Sunday with 16 miles in 2.5 hours. Still, it was a 10 minutes improvement over the same distance in a 2 week period.

Just a gentle 2 miles planned for tonight as my hip is sore from last night's football and I'd rather not do anything to jepordise my training at this stage. 6 weeks on Sunday till the Edinburgh Marathon I think and I still have two 20 mile runs ahead of me (starting on Saturday) <_<

Finally I've got my ar*e in gear, and I'm now running. Lunchtimes around the Broadwood Loch. Couple of other lads in work have motivated me, and shown me round so to speak. Up to 4.4km in just under 25 mins. Thats after 3 weeks, and 5 runs.

Now decided to purchase one of these bad boys to track my runs

Nike+ Sportband

With a sports pouch on the way, there's not stopping me. Fitness at a low cost. Gave up my gym membership a while back when I couldn't find the time. Our first baby is 14 weeks old. But no weight lost yet. Looks like the midweek drinking is next to go.

Really pleased with progress. Was pretty fit a couple of years ago, but gout, bad backs, and achilles tendontitis have hampered me. Don't think I'll play football again, too many injuries, so its running for me........might aim for the Glasgow 10k in June. Seems quite a stretch though. We'll see....

Edited by bairnPunter

Finally I've got my ar*e in gear, and I'm now running. Lunchtimes around the Broadwood Loch. Couple of other lads in work have motivated me, and shown me round so to speak. Up to 4.4km in just under 25 mins. Thats after 3 weeks, and 5 runs.

Nike+ Sportband

With a sports pouch on the way, there's not stopping me. Fitness at a low cost. Gave up my gym membership a while back when I couldn't find the time. Our first baby is 14 weeks old. But no weight lost yet. Looks like the midweek drinking is next to go.

Really pleased with progress. Was pretty fit a couple of years ago, but gout, bad backs, and achilles tendontitis have hampered me. Don't think I'll play football again, too many injuries, so its running for me........might aim for the Glasgow 10k in June. Seems quite a stretch though. We'll see....

So can I confirm that youi get all the benefits of the Nike+ system without having to hook it up to an Ipod nano?

Great! Mrs Monkey will get her nano back once I get one of these. I've read that they go round your arm. Round your wrist would be easier, no?

EDIT:

I stand corrected :D

In the same manner that the Nike + iPod Sport Kit allows shoes to send information to a nano, the Nike+ SportBand is a wristwatch that also monitors a runner’s steps. But now a runner can check time, pace, distance and calories burned at a glance of the wrist.
Edited by Thundermonkey

Great! Mrs Monkey will get her nano back once I get one of these. I've read that they go round your arm. Round your wrist would be easier, no?

Goes round your wrist, I think thats another Nike+ product your thinking of.

Paula Radcliffe was marketing the Sportband see pic, Clicky

Nike+ Sportband

Good to see another P&Ber getting out and reaping the rewards of running :D

One of my favourite races last year (I only started running last February) was the Broadwood 5K organised by the Kirkintilloch Olympians. The route went round the loch and in general the race was really well organised. IIRC it only cost £2 to enter as well :D Definately one to look out for if you fancy a 5K race.

Found this whilst browsing - Footbeds

Now anyone can run with Nike+, regardless of their shoes. No idea about the price however.

I have a question about the Sportsband though. I like entering a set distance on my nano and letting my feet take me wherever they want. Can I set the sportsband for say, 15 miles and get an update at halfway stage (as I get using the nano) so I know it's time to turn round and head home? I'm assuming it just has the same functionality as using the current system on basic mode ie it's up to you to keep an eye on miles, time etc

Looks like, as I appreciate the updates I get via my headphones, I'll stick to what I have (which is a shame as I love gadgets). Perhaps after the marathon when I decide on what my regular running routes/distances are it may be worth investing in.

Don't suppose any of you are daft enough to be doing London on Sunday?

I'll be there (on The Highway) from 7.00am onwards..(I run the 35k Elite/special drinks post).

That's about halfway on your way out to the Isle of Dogs (on your left) and 20 miles on the way back(on your right).

Apart from looking for clubmates and clubs I/we compete against to cheer on, I always make a special effort to shout for Jocks! :)

After the fast guys and gals have passed (which is soon), it's a pretty privileged and good spot to relax at - sitting on our now-empty tables... in the sun...

Though mibbe no this wet year.... :(

Don't suppose any of you are daft enough to be doing London on Sunday?

I'll be there (on The Highway) from 7.00am onwards..(I run the 35k Elite/special drinks post).

That's about halfway on your way out to the Isle of Dogs (on your left) and 20 miles on the way back(on your right).

Apart from looking for clubmates and clubs I/we compete against to cheer on, I always make a special effort to shout for Jocks! :)

After the fast guys and gals have passed (which is soon), it's a pretty privileged and good spot to relax at - sitting on our now-empty tables... in the sun...

Though mibbe no this wet year.... :(

My mate Jamie is doing it. He was listening to me talking about Edinburgh and decided to take up his sister's offer of a place (she works for a charity). This was in Feb though and he has destroyed his knees trying to get in shape. He had previously ran the odd 10K (much like myself for the last 5 years).

There was a possibility last week he was going to pull out and give his place to me but he's going to run and walk it with no specific time in mind. I'm due a 20 mile run at the weekend and would have happily added another 6 onto that if it meant running my 1st London Marathon.

It's on my hitlist though, along with New York and Barcelona.

My mate Jamie is doing it. He was listening to me talking about Edinburgh and decided to take up his sister's offer of a place (she works for a charity). This was in Feb though and he has destroyed his knees trying to get in shape. He had previously ran the odd 10K (much like myself for the last 5 years).

There was a possibility last week he was going to pull out and give his place to me but he's going to run and walk it with no specific time in mind. I'm due a 20 mile run at the weekend and would have happily added another 6 onto that if it meant running my 1st London Marathon.

It's on my hitlist though, along with New York and Barcelona.

Sounds like you have been well and truelly bitten by the bug - I thought the initial plan was only to ever run one?

Sounds like you have been well and truelly bitten by the bug - I thought the initial plan was only to ever run one?

Nah. I ran Edinburgh in 2003. It was always my intention to run another. I missed out on London in 2005 and entered Edinburgh instead, only to end up on crutches after injuring my knee. Since then it's been sporadic 10k races until now.

The plan this time is to not stop running after the marathon in May ;)

It's probably physically impossible to just run one... :)

Cos there's so many unknowns on your first run..

Will I hit the wall?

What pace can I sustain?

Should I push out hard then just try to hang on?

Will I take on a lot of water en route...?

Then, after you finish, you always suspect you can do a better time. You've faced the wall, got over (or round) it and you now know how much harder you can try to push yourself. And how hard or easy that might be...

And if it had been a wee bit hilly, then you'll look for a flattish course for your next one.

Or if you do a flattish course, like London, then you'll look for a race in which there are not too many bloody other runners - one UNLIKE London... cos you'll know you can do better. :)

At least, so they tell me... :rolleyes: