P&b Running Club

Been back in the swing of things since the New Year, a few excuses holding me back with a lack of time, blisters and runner's knee, but all good now mainly due to a change of trainers. Ran 15k in just under 1 hour 6 minutes today and aiming for a slow long run tomorrow (first since Loch Ness Marathon).

Entered the Edinburgh and Loch Ness Marathon's for this year to make sure I'm out running regularly and considering the Lochaber Marathon at the start of April as my immediate main goal as I'm starting to get into the groove and enjoying running again after a recent lull.

I'll need to get myself along to one of these parkruns (likely Pollok) that eveyone keeps raving about, I don't think I've ever done a proper timed 5k (they should time the Santa Dash!!) other than on the dreadmill.

Bishy, I presume you know the Greenock area well? If I wanted to do a 10K, starting at the old Wellington Academy Building, where would I need to run to?

Sorry can't say I do. Never lived in Greenock or ran around it. Support Morton because my Grandpa took me when I was young!

Bishy, I presume you know the Greenock area well? If I wanted to do a 10K, starting at the old Wellington Academy Building, where would I need to run to?

Googlemaps has a great distance measuring tool, which you can either use to plan your run beforehand, or find out how far you ran after the event. It's very accurate, and as a handy extra, you can either measure in boring old miles / kilometres, or the more exciting Angstroms, Bohr Radii or Jewish 2nd Temple sacred cubits. For example, I went for a walk yesterday and walked 116.923 Ramsdens Chains.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1628031?hl=en

Btw, quick question. Near where I used to go running (Cathkin Park), I noticed a much better maintained oval track nearby. The thing is, it's tiny! It's only about 75m long, and I can't think of any practical use for it... any ideas?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=g42+9qt&hl=en&ll=55.830799,-4.251104&spn=0.000723,0.002064&hnear=Glasgow+G42+9QT,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=20

(the shadow slightly obscures it but you can see it on the satellite view).

Don't know if 5' 10" counts as incredibly tall lol. Kenzie and I seem to be going at a similar sort of pace

You're running about 1km/h faster, which I'd say is quite significant. Something for me to aim for! :unsure2:

22.25k in under 1 hour 38 minutes this morning. I had a few short stops, but I was pleased to get the distance in me considering it was a fairly challenging route.

barely over 1.5 hrs for a half marathon at that pace. excellent.

Bishy, we started a touch late as well, to give time to finish setup and explain the different course. Thats a shame you couldnt make it.

I might be wrong but I think Kenzie might have one of (if not the) the fastest half marathon times of the people that regularly post on this thread.

Kenzie, did you not do the GSR in some ridiculous time a few years ago?

Thought I'd keep posting my progress if anyone is interested. Managed to do 3.33 km today. Reckon I'll be ready for that 5km at Pollock next Saturday! Feeling motivated and good about myself despite having a really shit time in everything else in my life at the moment.

Quick question, whats a good average time for a 10k run?

post-41946-13896425443778_thumb.jpg

I might be wrong but I think Kenzie might have one of (if not the) the fastest half marathon times of the people that regularly post on this thread.

Kenzie, did you not do the GSR in some ridiculous time a few years ago?

1:25:56 for the GSR 2012. It was a bit of a dream run; started too fast but somehow managed to maintain it. Would love to beat that time, which could be possible with the route changes.

Quick question, whats a good average time for a 10k run?

For me, I'm happy to get under an hour at the moment. My PB is 54:39 and I hope to get under 50:00 in the next couple of years. It's doable, I think. But then I know others would be gutted to go that slowly!

different for everybody! It's what you think is a good time that's important, don't compare yourself to everyone else.

Set yourself a target, achieve it, feel good, reset the target and aim for that. Repeat as necessary.

This is really important and one of the best things about running. You are competing against yourself and set your targets according to what you can achieve

Starting to slowly get back into things now. Been out for 3, then 4, and tonight 5k in the last 10 days. Motivation's been hard to come by through the week - hating the dark nights as I'd normally use Holyrood Park for part of my route to get away from the busier streets and avoid using out-and-back routes. This also might just be an excuse...

Fair play to those making it out so often, sounds like lots of folk having a good start to the year.