P&b Running Club

11km tonight, broke the 10km mark in 46 mins 40 seconds, pretty damn chuffed with that.

My power rack also arrived today so shall get that built over the weekend :D

Main advice if you're starting out again would be not to do too much; 2-3 times a week is plenty while you get used to it again.

And vary your speed/distance - running 10k all the time will see you plateau in no time. When you feel ready, go a bit further & intentionally slow it down. And one session going faster than normal, but shorter - even split it up so you're doing short distances fast with a break in between.

You'll get quicker/fitter in no time.

In other news, if any of you are looking for new podcasts, Tartan Running Shorts is well worth a listen for an (obviously) Scottish skew. Hosted by a couple of guys based in Aberdeen who are pretty handy themselves!

Only just discovered Bad Boy Running, seems decent too.

Think I have 6 running podcasts on rotation now. Oh god.

In other news, if any of you are looking for new podcasts, Tartan Running Shorts is well worth a listen for an (obviously) Scottish skew. Hosted by a couple of guys based in Aberdeen who are pretty handy themselves!

Not taking the piss but what do they talk about on a running podcast?

Not taking the piss but what do they talk about on a running podcast?
A chunk of chat about training sessions, a bit about elite running/results, Tartan Running covers a lot of Scottish local races. I get it's a bit of a niche thing...

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:23, lichtie23 said:

I’m struggling for motivation after a 3 month injury layoff. So I also would like some tips

Sign up for a race to give yourself a goal and get yourself back in the running habit or you could join the local footers club to give you some encouragement but just make your mind up to go for a run and go for it...…..we can't have unfit Lichtie fans:)

How many runners on P&B are in clubs and does it help them a lot? Personally never been in a club.

Edited by keptie

Sign up for a race to give yourself a goal and get yourself back in the running habit or you could join the local footers club to give you some encouragement but just make your mind up to go for a run and go for it...…..we can't have unfit Lichtie fans[emoji4]
How many runners on P&B are in clubs and does it help them a lot? Personally never been in a club.

I use to do the Montrose parkrun weekly but stopped going, think il attempt a few of them again

Guest bernardblack

Been doing a lot of treadmill work lately. Not for everyone I know, but something mentally works for me knowing if I set the speed at X then i'll finish at X etc

7.2 km today in 33 minutes. Was out last night so ran to wear i left my car. Hoping to get into a rhythm in preparation for this half marathon after being sidelined with a shin splint.

Fitness wise, I could have went for a good bit longer but my legs were struggling by the end.

On 26/08/2018 at 07:48, keptie said:

I've been in a club for the last three years, though haven't made a session for ages now.  How much it benefits you will depend on what you want from it and where you go, but I certainly found my 10k/HM times improved.   The obvious advantages are organised sessions and people to chase, though equally you need to know your own limits so you don't end yourself!

Most clubs will let you try it out for a week or two before you need to make any sort of decision, so no harm in giving it a go.

Doing the Ayr 10k this week because my brother wanted to do it. Hadn’t run since doing the Great Scottish Run half-marathon last year, so went out a couple of times last week. Had forgotten just how much I hate running. The half was absolutely brutal even with months of training, but I’m sure a 10k will be fine even with almost zero.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Doing the Ayr 10k this week because my brother wanted to do it. Hadn’t run since doing the Great Scottish Run half-marathon last year, so went out a couple of times last week. Had forgotten just how much I hate running. The half was absolutely brutal even with months of training, but I’m sure a 10k will be fine even with almost zero.

With almost zero ….. i'll  go for....training :) good luck, you love it really.

2 hours ago, morrison said:

I've been in a club for the last three years, though haven't made a session for ages now.  How much it benefits you will depend on what you want from it and where you go, but I certainly found my 10k/HM times improved.   The obvious advantages are organised sessions and people to chase, though equally you need to know your own limits so you don't end yourself!

Most clubs will let you try it out for a week or two before you need to make any sort of decision, so no harm in giving it a go.

I like it "people to chase":lol:  which tbf can push you to get past them and run faster. The local running clubs training times never suited me but would have perhaps joined if times did suit, some people can be a bit intimidated about joining  clubs thinking they would be out of their depth which I know isn't true but just their perception.

25 minutes ago, keptie said:

With almost zero ….. i'll  go for....training :) good luck, you love it really.

Sorry I wasn’t recommending no training to anyone, just making a statement that I hope my lack of training won’t cause me to embarrass myself.

I certainly don’t love it, I need to be doing something when running to enjoy it like playing football.

Guest bernardblack

Is anyone doing the Edinburgh half marathon?

I’m tempted to do it, but it’s the week before Glasgow.

But then I’ve heard it’s quite flat so won’t be as tough?

6 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Is anyone doing the Edinburgh half marathon?

I’m tempted to do it, but it’s the week before Glasgow.

But then I’ve heard it’s quite flat so won’t be as tough?

Not sure if it's the same route, but it's actually better than flat ... you start off on a hill and end up around sea level. 

Thanks to a hot summer, a few injuries and sheer laziness, I've done next to no running since the French HM in May. Doing the Great Scottish Run so I'm hoping there's a couch to Half Marathon in a month guide somewhere on the internet!

On 8/25/2018 at 11:59, morrison said:

I tried the tartan running shorts one, but the sound quality was quite poor. Not sure if it has upgraded any?

What other ones do you listen to?

Good run at Greenock on Saturday btw. Comfortably ahead of me ;)

I tried the tartan running shorts one, but the sound quality was quite poor. Not sure if it has upgraded any?
What other ones do you listen to?
Good run at Greenock on Saturday btw. Comfortably ahead of me [emoji6]
Was it one of the first episodes? Better recently, though I find the volume lower than most other pods. Others:

MarathonTalk
Parkrun adventurers
Free Weekly Timed
Bad Boy Running
...some Yank one I appear to have deleted! MarathonTraining Academy it was.

I dip in and out of some of them.

Ah, cheers! Was going to say on Strava I was planning through & plain forgot. Didn't see you! At least you'd a better afternoon than me...