P&b Running Club

Our coach guy reckons 2 weeks of no activity is when your fitness starts to drop. Doesn't take much, huh?

I got told that for every week of no activity you need to make up a months worth of training.

On another note, one of the "ladies" had a t-shirt that said 'I only run so I can eat cup-cakes". Made me cuckle.

I've yet to breach the double figures yet. Feel I can do it just cant get a decent route.

This Friday I'm off so hopefully get a big run in. squeezed 5 miles in tonight though.

To give you some motivation I did a 10K last year in 50mins. This year I knocked 5 mins off. You just need to keep the training going.

No, I haven't got mine yet. The email said if we don't have it by Thursday, we should get in touch. I expect mine will arrive tomorrow.

A week to go! I've raised £625 so far. Going to pester my colleagues this week and hopefully get over the £700 mark. :)

No, I haven't got mine yet. The email said if we don't have it by Thursday, we should get in touch. I expect mine will arrive tomorrow.

A week to go! I've raised £625 so far. Going to pester my colleagues this week and hopefully get over the £700 mark. :)

I get paid on Friday so expect a wee donation then :D

Saw this today, sad news - Sammy Wanjiru Dead

Mine arrived this morning.

I've only raised £350 so far but have had promises of a further £50 odd. Then hopefully my work is going to bump up my total quite a bit as MacMillan Cancer Support is their nominated charity for this year.

I did about 5-6k tonight and very chuffed.

Last week I was extremely lazy and had no motivation to get out, I'm blaming it now on the wind, but it's still windy today. It's been windy here for about 2 weeks, but it was just laziness.

Forced myself this week to go out 3 times and back to my general fitness that I was, or at least I feel like that.

Felt I was on top form tonight. No pain barrier/stitch at 4.5 ks and marched right through, slowly building up to a solid 10k by the end of the summer.

Im a bit of a novice to running properly. I didn't start road-running til last year and fairly enjoying it.

Question for the long-distance, marathon runners etc. What's the best way to build up to that? I'm constantly doing between 5-8ks reguarly, and want to end the summer by being able to do at least 12ks, but I don't want to burn myself out but at the same time keep building up my fitness levels.

Is it as easy as just adding on an extra .5ks a week? Or, any other ideas?

Needing new trainers though. My saucony's are starting to fall to bits.

Christ, I'm just babbling here, but 'back on the wagon' after doing nothing last week.

12 and a bit hours to go until the Edinburgh Half starts and I'm beginning to kack myself. Partly because I haven't ran in over a month and partly because I'm starting to realise how unprepared I am. I've just realised I don't even have a watch.

If any of you see someone asking people the time whilst limping around the course then that'll be me.

I ran the 10K in Edinburgh today in a time of 46 mins 58secs.

It was a tough 10K road course. THAT hill at 6K was immense. Nearly wiped me out, but I battled on and managed to pick up when my legs came back from jelly.

Is that the hill around Holyrood Park next to Arthur's Seat? Aye that's a bugger.

Question for the long-distance, marathon runners etc. What's the best way to build up to that? I'm constantly doing between 5-8ks reguarly, and want to end the summer by being able to do at least 12ks, but I don't want to burn myself out but at the same time keep building up my fitness levels.

Is it as easy as just adding on an extra .5ks a week? Or, any other ideas?

You can build up your stamina by increasing your stamina. You can also do shorter more intense reps with shorter recover to build up speed.

Try doing some Pyramids (1-2-3-2-1) Kilometer reps with a recovery between reps.

Or do 200M reps with 30 secs recovery to build up speed.

You can build up your stamina by increasing your stamina. You can also do shorter more intense reps with shorter recover to build up speed.

Try doing some Pyramids (1-2-3-2-1) Kilometer reps with a recovery between reps.

Or do 200M reps with 30 secs recovery to build up speed.

Thanks Noodle. I'm going to try some of that tomorrow.

How did everyone get on in Edinburgh today?

My very first race and I did the half in 2hrs 6 mins. There was a great atmsphere, really cant wait to sign up for another race now.

I did the half in 1hr 51 mins. Really surprised by my time as I was just nursing myself around and only really ran the last mile. If I knew I was doing so well I'd have kicked a bit earlier in an attempt to get under 1hr 50 mins. However I'm still delighted because I've been so riddled with injuries that it was doubtful if I'd get through it at all.

I saw quite a few people needing medical treatment, some of which looked quite serious.

As I was going past 6 or 7 miles a car was driving along side us with someone in the car shouting encouragement to the girl that was running alongside me. The last thing I heard the woman shout was "are we embarrasing you now", unfortunately that distracted her and she tripped over a traffic cone and landed on her face.

I think I saw Debs as I was leaving the MacMillan tent. However I was too knackered to go over and ask a stranger "are you Reina?".

Has anyone used the deep freeze gel that was in the goody bag? If not then you should, but don't get it on your baws. :o

I was manning a stall at the marathon today in Musselburgh and ended up being a steward at the finishing line. I'm knackered, although not as knackered as the runners, but it was good fun. I might volunteer for this next year :)

sorry for cross posting. I was the steward in the SAMH top encouraging the runners just before it turned into the side street where you got yer medals, if anyone is interested.

Well done the lot of you, yer all mad :lol: