The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England 310-6 at the end. Not the most exciting day's play. England are in a pretty good position. Sri Lanka did OK, better than the predictions of folk who totally wrote them off, they took some excellent catches.

Mathews catch at slip was exceptional considering the reaction time he had.

Sky hyping Compton's place up for grabs. Probably true given they have one of the biggest inputs into the selection panel. I would also not call up Buttler given the form Bairstow is in and I don't know how much longer they're going to give Ali.

Next series should be:

Cook, Hales, Borthwick, Root, Vince, Woakes, Bairstow, Rashid, Broad, Anderson, Finn.

(Obviously Stokes in if he's fit for Woakes).

Interesting to see Robson topping the bill for the County Championship - 3 hundreds, 2 fifties in 8 innings and averaging 90 odd. I think he was poorly treated too, another scapegoat following a series defeat.

I think you are right. They'll give Compton the rest of this series.

I think Buttler will replace him with Bairstow going to five and Vince batting at three.

Ali is perfect for the number 8 role. He's there for a long time yet.

Edited by Savage Henry

I'd be very obliged if one of you could explain Sri Lanka's tactics here.

Haven't a clue tbh. Dropping/missing some decent chances this morning obviously wasn't part of the plan though. Unless the plan is for another innings defeat.

Haven't a clue tbh. Dropping/missing some decent chances this morning obviously wasn't part of the plan though. Unless the plan is for another innings defeat.

They seem to be content to give Ali as much of the strike as possible. Very odd.

They seem to be content to give Ali as much of the strike as possible. Very odd.

And the fielders were spread out like vomit, very easy to just nudge it about and keep the scoreboard ticking.

England declared on 498-9.

I'd seen Jonathan Agnew tweeting about his interview with Graeme Fowler and meant to listen to it.

He's just been on with David Gower and he talks quite candidly about mental illness.

I'd seen Jonathan Agnew tweeting about his interview with Graeme Fowler and meant to listen to it.

He's just been on with David Gower and he talks quite candidly about mental illness.

Seems like a very interesting man. Well worth catching the podcast.

Seems like a very interesting man. Well worth catching the podcast.

I might give his book a go.

With the amount of time they spend away from home, cricketers normally have some decent stories.

This is pretty excellent by England/abject by Sri Lanka.  I can see England putting them in again tonight.

It won't help Cook regain his form if he keeps only getting one shot at batting, and on the whole England won't have learned a lot from this series so far. Been a few decent performers but they haven't had to be anywhere near their best against what has been a very poor Sri Lankan side. Hales has certainly staked a claim to be the opener long term.

The BBC blocking VPN is a pain. Having to listen through Guerillacricket.com via TuneIn Radio as both unable access TMS through either direct BBC link or TuneIn Radio. Yet I could listen to the Northants v Essex match through a BBC station on TuneIn.