The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'd be interested to see England's record when bowling first v batting first. So many batting orders seem to capitulate under the pressure of even a par first innings total, England's included.

Not just England. All test teams. I reckon that it'll be pretty much across the board. Win the toss = bat.

Just watching the highlights, excellent spell from TRJ, and like England in the last Test there was some dismal batting from S.A.

Vernon Philander ended up in hospital suffering from a stomach ailment, he will spend the night on a drip and it's unlikely that he will take any part tomorrow.

Toby Roland-Jones sounds like he should be the MP for the 3rd safest Tory seat in the UK. Can't believe he's the first double-barrelled to play for England at cricket in 80 years or something.

Was very surprised when they mentioned that the other day tbh.

The tms at 60 documentary is absolutely brilliant.

Can only echo this, it's in 2 parts and both are excellent and they can be downloaded as podcasts from the iPlayer radio app.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Due to road closures in London, the England team had to travel by Tube this morning. Must have been a surprise for some of the fans.

449b9e6070ef4be3d7dd38921d539eaa.jpg

It's trite to say, but you really wouldn't get the England football team doing that.  Or even the rugby team these days.

Impressive start from England.  SA waste another review, while Jonny Bairtstow proves he really can't draw.

s-l1600.jpg

I thought Root getting the captaincy might put an end to these long waits for a declaration.
How many do they need?

Should have been bowling half an hour ago.   It's not as if it's a vintage SA battling line up.  

I'm fucking raging. Had the new lad at 3 as top scorer and he was until bairstow scraped over 60.

There's no way they should've left it that late. I thought when Stokes was out I was safe.

(Need to stop betting as it stops me enjoying the game.)

Day 5, which is a slight novelty though it seems likely as much to do with the rain delays as anything else. Unless South Africa pull out something special today it's likely to be another sizeable win. It does feel like this test series hasn't really got going with it being fairly clear who is going to win from early on, similar to the Ashes series a couple of years ago.

TRJ makes the breakthrough. Traps Bavuma lbw, which wasn't given but was on review, next ball Philander has the worst leave you will ever see and is also out plumb lbw. Comes haring in for the hat trick, and Morris edges it and it falls about a foot short of the slips.

Elgar gets his 100.

Superb work by Agnew there

Boycott all over the place

For those not listening to TMS they faked an announcement from the ICC that games played against South Africa contrary to the Gleneagles agreement would be retrospectively stripped of first class status meaning that Geoffrey Boycott's famous 100th 100 at headingley was actually his 99th

This was top class wind up work if they put it online then I recommend you check it out

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Superb work by Agnew there

Boycott all over the place

For those not listening to TMS they faked an announcement from the ICC that games played against South Africa contrary to the Gleneagles agreement would be retrospectively stripped of first class status meaning that Geoffrey Boycott's famous 100th 100 at headingley was actually his 99th

This was top class wind up work if they put it online then I recommend you check it out

Will have to try and catch that later.

205-7 at lunch. Elgar still there on 113, Morris caught behind off Moeen from the last ball before lunch.

Why does Sky Sports have a bee in its bonnet about plastic bottles? The lunch break has just been a thirty minute paid advert for some charity about the state of the Indian Ocean.  It appears to have nothing to do with cricket.