The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Thrilling end to the third Test in Sydney, meanwhile - Smith came out to bat at number 11 with his broken hand in order to save the game, got within ten balls of doing so before being bowled. Aus win the match, SA win the series 2-1. Great cricket in all three matches.

cricinfo are reporting that Moores has also gone.

Edited to add: "Cricinfo understands that Andy Flower, Moores' assistant coach, will be offered the interim role for the West Indies tour, although it remains highly debatable whether he will accept the role in the current circumstances."

I think England, oddly, are going to be stronger as a result of all this cafuffle. Moores has seemed out of his depth, and as H_B says, Pietersen never looked to have international captaincy on his mind. The danger is he walks away from the team completely, but assuming he doesn't do, there's no reason why England shouldn't give the Windies a thrashing.

England should be beating the West Indies anyway these days, that won't prove that everything is rosy.

I'm more saddened by the loss of Pietersen than Moores but no matter, Strauss will do okay and let's get on with it. Be interesting to see whether Strauss gets the one day job too, being as he hasn't been in the team.

England should be beating the West Indies anyway these days, that won't prove that everything is rosy.

I'm more saddened by the loss of Pietersen than Moores but no matter, Strauss will do okay and let's get on with it. Be interesting to see whether Strauss gets the one day job too, being as he hasn't been in the team.

That's my thinking largely. I still reckon Flintoff might get the captaincy on a long term basis.

The danger is he walks away from the team completely, but assuming he doesn't do, there's no reason why England shouldn't give the Windies a thrashing.

Yep, the only way I could see this happenign is if the IPL dangled a huge contract in front of him. He has made no secret of the fact he wants to trouser their cash.

I think he is very aware of the commercial aspect of being an England cricketer. I believe he has several very highly paid endorsement deals which would require this.

Yep, the only way I could see this happenign is if the IPL dangled a huge contract in front of him. He has made no secret of the fact he wants to trouser their cash.

You say that, but I'm fairly certain he had very little backing from his team-mates, certainly not unilateral support. This is not player power. If it was, he'd still be in a job and Moores would have walked. I can quite see Pietersen just saying 'to hell with it all'.

Moores should have been sacked several series ago, it was obvious from very early on that he was going to be pretty hopeless as head coach.

If Pietersen does walk away from the scene completely, then England are going to sink beyond the top 5 or 6 best teams because without him their batting lineup is spineless. I mean, you would be as well surrendering at the start than relying on the likes of Cook, Bell and Prior to perform when the going get tough.

Thrilling end to the third Test in Sydney, meanwhile - Smith came out to bat at number 11 with his broken hand in order to save the game, got within ten balls of doing so before being bowled. Aus win the match, SA win the series 2-1. Great cricket in all three matches.

Just goes to show that Test Cricket is still the best form of the game

That's my thinking largely. I still reckon Flintoff might get the captaincy on a long term basis.

Agree with the Flintoff option,as long as it does not effect his form. If you have the same captain for all codes though that might rule Strauss out,he wiould not make the 50 or 20/20 teams.

Just goes to show that Test Cricket is still the best form of the game

Agree with the Flintoff option,as long as it does not effect his form. If you have the same captain for all codes though that might rule Strauss out,he wiould not make the 50 or 20/20 teams.

Absolutely agreed on the first part; disagree on the second, Flintoff will not be considered. Strauss might be given the one-day captaincy too and put into the middle order, it's not like there's anyone there who can't be dislodged from the team at present.

I think for the sake of KP's game I think this should be quite a decent break for him. He's the best batsman by an absolute mile and i think we'll see him back to his Aussie bashing best again this summer. The worry for me would be that there isn't a player in that side who is captain material. Strauss's position isn't safe, same goes for Collingwood and Flintoff has been there and been humped. The ECB could look outside the box and pick somebody like Rob Key but playing for England is definitely jobs for the boys so that isn't going to happen. Basically they're fucked. The dark days of the 90's looms again.

Strauss's position is safe enough for the foreseeable future. Obviously a bad run would see him under pressure again but that goes for anyone in any cricket team in the world.

It'll be Strauss, Flintoff's not captiancy material, and they can't afford him having anything other than 100% on his game.

That really just leaves Cooki, who's to young and not in the best of form, or someone like Fat Boab, who's not even in the squad never mind the 11.