The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Cricket authority,s worldwide need to make a mountain out of a mole hill,you can bet your bottom Dollar that if they(ECB) can drag this out,they will. They make the SFA look like a well run company.

I'm hoping this will just turn out to be a warning shot to Pietersen, and a clear message that just because he's got his way over Moores it doesn't mean he's calling the shots - but that he will be allowed to continue as captain for now.

This time last year, Andrew Strauss was supposedly fighting for his international career before making a big score vs NZ. Now, after making a couple of hundreds vs India he looks odds on to be England captain.

Funny old world.

Edited by Super J's

This time last year, Andrew Strauss was supposedly fighting for his international career before making a big score vs NZ. Now, after making a couple of hundreds vs India he looks odds on to be England captain.

Funny old world.

If the skipper has to come from the top 7 and you exclude KP it doesn;t really leave any other choices.

NZ's skipper is number 8, but we don't have anyone of Vettori's stature.

Strauss has been seen coming out of Lords with Geoff Miller. The ECB have a press conference called for 18:00.

Statement from Pietersen - he had not resigned this morning but in light of the day's developments has come to accept the position is untenable. Disappointed as he still feels he has a lot to offer etc. Most importantly, he still intends to be on the West Indies tour as a player.

One Day & Twenty20 squads only (well so far). Gut feeling is he'll be here for the Test Matches this summer.

Lets hope so because he was utter w**k last time out. T'was quite amusing seeing a big, macho Aussie impersonating Matthew Hoggard's bitch for a couple of months :lol:

Lets hope so because he was utter w**k last time out. T'was quite amusing seeing a big, macho Aussie impersonating Matthew Hoggard's bitch for a couple of months :lol:

I think Hayden still has a lot to offer in test cricket, especially with the upcoming Ashes series where there will be a lot of new(ish) players in both sides and his experience could count for a lot.

It's not Pietersen's first major squabble - his Notinghamshire team-mates were glad to see the back of him when he left for Hampshire.

Kevin Pietersen and Mick Newell

It was a surprise to hear support for Pietersen coming from Newell, the director of cricket at Nottinghamshire, because he'd been in charge when Pietersen had another very public falling out. Pietersen asked to be released from his contract but was forced to play out the final year of his deal before joining Hampshire, and didn't enjoy the new regime under Newell - who had replaced Clive Rice, a man Pietersen respected - and Jason Gallian. There was the story of Pietersen's kit-bag being hurled out of the dressing room. "It was one cricket bat but it's been well documented that everything went out of the window," Gallian told the Independent. "Probably my dummy as well."

Fully expect the wretched KP to now go away and from a Harlem Globetrotters style cricket team. The side will of course be called the Kevin Pietersen All Stars and will include the likes of Shane Warne, Martin Crowe, Viv Richards and Rahul Dravid. They will be available most Saturdays unless Kev is playing in the IPL or doing something more important.

I don't see that he's really done much wrong, all he's done is try to force the ECB's hand. I'd rather that than keep plodding along with a coach he doesn't work well with. Most of the problems in english cricket stem from people happy to make do with the status quo.

I'll be glad to see the back of Hayden, made loads of runs without ever making you think he was a great player. Just a bully, really. On the few occasions in his career he's had to face really good pace bowling he's struggled. Against anything less than that when he can get his foot down the pitch and take the ball early he can make hay. For which, fair play I suppose - but good riddance anyway, never liked him.

Pietersen has much to contribute to England yet, don't worry.

Kevin Pietersen and Mick Newell

It was a surprise to hear support for Pietersen coming from Newell, the director of cricket at Nottinghamshire, because he'd been in charge when Pietersen had another very public falling out. Pietersen asked to be released from his contract but was forced to play out the final year of his deal before joining Hampshire, and didn't enjoy the new regime under Newell - who had replaced Clive Rice, a man Pietersen respected - and Jason Gallian. There was the story of Pietersen's kit-bag being hurled out of the dressing room. "It was one cricket bat but it's been well documented that everything went out of the window," Gallian told the Independent. "Probably my dummy as well."

and...................

Two entirely different situations, it's possible to think Pietersen was wrong in one situation but right in the other - I daresay that's Newall opinion. I was just pointing out that Pietersen no stranger to disharmony - it's well known within the cricket community that he's an abrasive charachter and it would have been better (and not just in hindsight) for Moores to be moved sideways and Pitersen accomodated with a coach he felt he could work with. It seems like an absolute folly to choose the squad for the West Indies tour in his absence.