The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Re Paul Collingwood

Do any other cricket fans think he's over-rated? IMO today is another example of him not contibuting when the going gets tough.

On another notemonly one more wicket and the Windies will be into England's lower order - possibly before Tea on Day 1!

Re Paul Collingwood

Do any other cricket fans think he's over-rated? IMO today is another example of him not contibuting when the going gets tough.

On another notemonly one more wicket and the Windies will be into England's lower order - possibly before Tea on Day 1!

I have always quiet liked him.Great fielder.He has had riden his luck at times.Every time you think by by Paul,he will score 100.

I have always quiet liked him.Great fielder.He has had riden his luck at times.Every time you think by by Paul,he will score 100.

I'd go along with that. His double hundred in Adelaide was something of beauty. (Just a shame that the biggest bottle job in history followed it :lol: )

Re Paul Collingwood

He's the opposite of Bell and that'll do for me, not an especially talented guy but will always bust his ass for the side and regualrly digs them out of a hole.

Good job Bell wasn't batting 3 here or we'd be in real trouble.

As for a 4th Seamer the WIndies could really do with a 3rd, Baker is pish.

He's the opposite of Bell and that'll do for me, not an especially talented guy but will always bust his ass for the side and regualrly digs them out of a hole.

Good job Bell wasn't batting 3 here or we'd be in real trouble.

As for a 4th Seamer the WIndies could really do with a 3rd, Baker is pish.

See that's where I disagree with you. He scored a lot of run in the Caribbean last winter but failed the one time it counted and again today he's out for 8. It's Bopara digging England out of a hole today not Collingwood.

Edit - Century for Bopara, congrats!

Edited by btb

I don't have the stats to prove it and can't be bothered looking for them, but I'd bet PC makes most of his scores when either He or England are really up against it.

Well I do (to an extent) 9 Test centuries but only one in a Test England went on to win - most of his runs have come in high scoring draws.

As for Baker being pish - possibly but it's only his second game in England. It's a sign of how weak the West Indies bowling is that he's being asked to come in as first change.

If England can score 350 there's a good chance they'll roll over the West Indies cheaply.

England 289/7 (90.0 ov) - despite a poor fielding performance & West Indies being short of a bowler. Looks like a good score if England's seam attack can perform well.

Edited by btb

Ah statistics!

According to Cricinfo he Averages 41 in defeats and only 38 in victories, that's pretty impressive in my book!

This compares pretty well with Strauss who averages just 28 in defeats, Pietersons 36, Cooks 24 and Bell-ends 34!

He also averages 48 in Aus, which is a pretty good test of a batsman, especially in the Era of McGrath and Warne, he seems not to have toured SA yet.

Obviously most batsman will go well in high scoring draws, so it's not too surprising if more of his 100's have come there. 100's certainly aren't a good measure of success though, especially in 4th innings chases etc where a 50 there can be worth a lot more then a big 100 in the first dig.

Ah statistics!

According to Cricinfo he Averages 41 in defeats and only 38 in victories, that's pretty impressive in my book!

This compares pretty well with Strauss who averages just 28 in defeats, Pietersons 36, Cooks 24 and Bell-ends 34!

He also averages 48 in Aus, which is a pretty good test of a batsman, especially in the Era of McGrath and Warne, he seems not to have toured SA yet.

Obviously most batsman will go well in high scoring draws, so it's not too surprising if more of his 100's have come there. 100's certainly aren't a good measure of success though, especially in 4th innings chases etc where a 50 there can be worth a lot more then a big 100 in the first dig.

Ah statistics - slice them & dice them, can be served hot or cold.

Nothing in the above post backs up your original point - that Collingwood "regularly digs them out of a hole".

Edit - IMO Collingwood has only twice changed the result of a Test Match -West Indies in 2007 and New Zealand last year.

Edited by btb

I know everyone's talking about the test at the moment, but I was thinking about going along to the Friends Provident Trophy games in Edinburgh next week. Anyone know how much it is to get in and what the crowds are like?

I know everyone's talking about the test at the moment, but I was thinking about going along to the Friends Provident Trophy games in Edinburgh next week. Anyone know how much it is to get in and what the crowds are like?

http://www.cricketscotland.com/Packages09

Link to Scottish Cricket site.It has packages on offer. Individual games £15. Last time i was i went to watch there was a healthy crowd,but not packed out.

On the crowds issue Lords had 10,000 empty seats yesterday.Prices to high?

Quick query for you folks. Say I (a Scotsman) was a decent cricketer at county level down south, would I be eligible to play for England despite having no English relations?

We were just discussing this at work and I say yes I could but others seem adamant that I couldn't. I'm under the impression that anyone with a British passport can play for England.

Yip, that's it. England have enough batting strength to put in decent totals against the Aussies but can they skittle them out? Hmmm, i'm not sure. Anderson I think will have a fine summer and he should swinging the ball for fun in home conditions. Are there another 3 or 4 English bowler though who can step up to the mark though and share the load with Jimmy? I remain to be convinced although let's wait and see what the Windies tests show us.

My prediction for Anderson - another summer of beating the edge at least once an over, getting no reward and getting half a dozen wickets at 38.

Very surprised Panesar isn´t playing. Have to say that tail looks very long, and not especially threatening with the ball. Are the Windies the worst catching side of all time? Reminds me of England during the Atherton era.

SK - you are correct. Dougie Brown being a case in point.

Quick query for you folks. Say I (a Scotsman) was a decent cricketer at county level down south, would I be eligible to play for England despite having no English relations?

Yes. Isn't it just the "England and Wales Cricket Board XI" really?

My prediction for Anderson - another summer of beating the edge at least once an over, getting no reward and getting half a dozen wickets at 38.

Very surprised Panesar isn´t playing. Have to say that tail looks very long, and not especially threatening with the ball. Are the Windies the worst catching side of all time? Reminds me of England during the Atherton era.

SK - you are correct. Dougie Brown being a case in point.

I'd say for a side with 5 bowlers in it that the tails pretty short, Broad, Bresnan and Swann are all more than usefull batsmen.

Collingwood is worth his place.

Good partnership here between Bopara and Swann, who has his maiden Test fifty. It's handy having some tailenders who know how to hold a bat, we might not be playing with a number seven but we've got three number eights. Hopefully that'll enable us to keep playing five bowlers even without Flintoff.

(366/7)