The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it. Glad someone got a game this weekend in spite of the crappy weather.

We were incredibly lucky with it. Was playing at Meigle, and we were surrounded by horrendous looking clouds, but it seemed to just miss us. Couple of minor showers, but highly enjoyable all the same. Got a 20/20 friendly against Dundee Uni tomorrow. Should be fun :D

We were incredibly lucky with it. Was playing at Meigle, and we were surrounded by horrendous looking clouds, but it seemed to just miss us. Couple of minor showers, but highly enjoyable all the same. Got a 20/20 friendly against Dundee Uni tomorrow. Should be fun :D

take it ure bowling a bit then if ure at number 8?

I have been there a couple of times,it is a high scoring ground but.......

We also won the toss :(

I was more surprised by the fact that Scotland got 250 in reply.

That was always going to happen, Somerset knew they had it won so were always likely to just go through the motions.

I like it-I think it has its place in cricket, but alongside one day matches and tests as opposed to instead of either of them. I also enjoy playing it, I think if makes you concentrate more because each ball is more important in the context of the game.

I like it-I think it has its place in cricket, but alongside one day matches and tests as opposed to instead of either of them. I also enjoy playing it, I think if makes you concentrate more because each ball is more important in the context of the game.

I think 20 over cricket at amateur level is a whole different game from at Pro level though.

I think it's definitely got a place, more so than 50 over cricket anyway, but I think that at the moment it's all getting a bit much what with the IPL, the world cup and now 2 domestic comps down south.

I think there's maybe too much luck involved in 20/20. Also, like what was mentioned above, it's completely different at a lower standard. I went to Carlton v Dunfermline in the Scottish 20/20 cup. When players of a lower standard are put under the pressure of 20/20 cricket, where every ball really needs to be hit, they tend to not be capable of settling into an innings. Most sides at scottish club standard must watch the IPL and see 120 + as whats expected and then go out hitting and end up all out at 80 or 90. There's also a lot more dot balls. I'd imagine 20/20 at a higher standard is quite exciting live. I don't really like the IPL with the whole presentations after every game and fireworks etc. It'd be ridiculous if there was presentations and interviews on the pitch with fireworks for every Premiership match. I mean, some games are bigger than others and if a game deserves attention it'll get it. it doesnt need fireworks lanned for EVERY league game.

I like one day cricket more, mainly because you can watch the whole story of the game unfold in a watchable amount of time whilst also being able to relax a bit watching it cos it's not too rushed.

by the way, Scotland v Middlesex at Grange CC, Stockbridge, Edinburgh. Thursday(today) 10.45am. £15 adults. Hughes of the australian test team will be batting for middlesex, as will eoin morgan of the england side. Supposed to be a nice day too.

by the way, Scotland v Middlesex at Grange CC, Stockbridge, Edinburgh. Thursday(today) 10.45am. £15 adults. Hughes of the australian test team will be batting for middlesex, as will eoin morgan of the england side. Supposed to be a nice day too.

It is a lovely day here in Edinburgh at the moment, tempted to feign sickness and head along. But of course, I would not do such a thing.

I think 20 over cricket at amateur level is a whole different game from at Pro level though.

I think it's definitely got a place, more so than 50 over cricket anyway, but I think that at the moment it's all getting a bit much what with the IPL, the world cup and now 2 domestic comps down south.

True. Although I do like the shorter format I wouldn't like to see 20/20 take over from 50 over matches. One good thing about 20/20 judging by the crowds in South Africa for the IPL is that has created an interest in cricket. Perhaps people who wouldn't be interested in going to a test match can instead take in a 20/20 match.

I agree with the sentiments about Twenty 20 being a bit dull. When it first burst on to the scene it was a fresh and exciting form of the game with huge crowds, even on weekdays. Now it's been milked to within an inch of it's life and because of the sheer volume of Twenty 20 being played the novelty factor has gone and dare I say the excitement. I heard last week that the English counties are expecting rather significant drops in ticket sales this summer.

I'll still watch the English Twenty/20 on Sky this summer but i've got zero interest in the IPL. It just looks and feels wrong to me. They've tried too hard to jazz it up and it's just lost all of it's appeal.

take it ure bowling a bit then if ure at number 8?

No, i think the technical term is "making up the numbers". Kirriemuir are generally short of players and a mate of mine at work asked if i fancied giving cricket a bash. Had never played the game at all until 2 months ago.

Having said that, we had a 20/20 friendly against Dundee Uni and i got an over of bowling. And fluked an LBW shout :lol:

Also gave away 4 wides :ph34r:

Day 1 England - 302/2

I haven't been so disappointed with a performance like West Indies' today since Saints on Saturday. B) 1000 runs would be a possibility if England were interested - but more likely a declaration around tea tommorow with England somewhere around 550.

Do the Windies want to be here? It doesn't look like it.

What's to come from the West Indies? A couple of cheep & cheerful Innings, no doubt, with the game struggling to make it into Sunday. :(