The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Test cricket is the greatest game ever invented. Fucking wonderful.

You're not wrong.

I've been out for part of the day so have been watching the cricket about an hour or so behind real time. It was absolutely murder resisting the temptation to find out the result. What a great performance from the likes of Collingwood and Bell. Yes, Ian Bell you have come of age. I'm shattered.

Test cricket is the greatest game ever invented. Fucking wonderful.

The main problem is pitches where teams get 600+ for 5 wickets ect. Test cricket is a fantastic game though and anyone who cant understand how you can draw after 5 days play just need to look at this and see how exciting it can still be.

Ian Bell again with a good knock. KP not so good :(

That was superb to watch.

I was struggling to watch at the end.

I really cant understand the people who prefer T/20 to Test cricket!!

I think it is safe to say there will be a result in the next match..The Saffers will make sure of that

The main problem is pitches where teams get 600+ for 5 wickets ect. Test cricket is a fantastic game though and anyone who cant understand how you can draw after 5 days play just need to look at this and see how exciting it can still be.

Ian Bell again with a good knock. KP not so good :(

Completely agree. But that's a cowardly tactic deliberately employed by shit teams - create a pitch so dull and void that it negates even the best bowlers in the world. And that's only in one, maybe two countries a problem.

Usually though, as Reynard said, test cricket is hard to beat, and at it's best - as in this tour so far - the most entertaining sport in the world.

I think that's 5 matches in the last 12 months England have drawn with the last wicket only intact (3 for and 2 against (both vs WI). Crazy stuff.

Genuine question, how rare is that though? How does that compare to Australia or India? I ask as I have absolutely no idea how you would find a stat like that out.

I think that's 5 matches in the last 12 months England have drawn with the last wicket only intact (3 for and 2 against (both vs WI). Crazy stuff.

Genuine question, how rare is that though? How does that compare to Australia or India? I ask as I have absolutely no idea how you would find a stat like that out.

Keep an eye on cricinfo, I'm sure one of their resident statos is working on it even as I type.

Interesting to read the Test Stats for the series so far. Collingwood, Bell & Cook atop England's batting averages.

I suppose the big question is whether or not England persist with their current selection strategy - it's only just worked in 2/3 of the Tests.

Edited by btb

Cracking game,and as others have said what a great advert for Test cricket. I would rather watch that than 20/20 exciting as it is.

A decent wicket where you had a real competition between bat and ball. Plenty of ill feeling though between the teams.Strauss very unhappy at SA and there ball tampering. I do not think that Smiths constant moaning about this or that has has any effect on England,they are made of sterner stuff these days.

From memory I think it only happened once in the West Indies series, there was another very tight finish but it was the ninth rather than tenth wicket partnership that saved the day.

But yeah, there has been quite a run of games with the result still in doubt right up to the last possible ball (or two). Don't know exactly how uncommon that is but to have several in a year is certainly well above normal. Previous to that I'm struggling to think when it last happened to England. Versus SA at Old Trafford in '98 is the obvious one that springs to mind though I'm sure there'll have been something else in the interim that I'm forgetting. I think Sri Lanka saved a match at Lord's in 2006 with a tenth wicket partnership, but it wasn't quite the same high drama because they'd already passed England's total so England would have had to bat again anyway.

Okay, quick scan of the Test match lists. The list five occasions when a team has saved a draw with nine wickets down have all featured England, the four in the past year already mentioned plus India saving a game at Lord's in 2007 - though not with the same drama because weather ended the match before tea on the fifth day. In addition there was the other match in the West Indies last year which finished with eight down - which again hasn't happened in any other matches in the same period.

Last time it happened in any other Test was the West Indies saving a home Test against India in 2006. Very similar situation that one, the tenth wicket partnership had to survive the last nineteen balls of the match.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/239920.html

Since the 2005 ashes ive become completely obsessed with cricket, predominantly international stuff. Yesterdays test advocates the need to maintain test cricket as the main form of the game.

Thinkin about packin in my football later in the season to give cricket a good crack, played tennis to a highish level and golf to a good level so reckon after a bit of fine tuning id get a game for my local 2nds, cant think of anything better biggrin.gif .

Well in terms of sporting thoughts...

Since the 2005 ashes ive become completely obsessed with cricket, predominantly international stuff. Yesterdays test advocates the need to maintain test cricket as the main form of the game.

Thinkin about packin in my football later in the season to give cricket a good crack, played tennis to a highish level and golf to a good level so reckon after a bit of fine tuning id get a game for my local 2nds, cant think of anything better biggrin.gif .

Well in terms of sporting thoughts...

Definitely give it a go. I used to play at that sort of level until my back told me it was time to stop. You sound more sporty than me so you've every chance of doing well. The social scene is a major bonus as well.

I e-mailed cricinfo and they got back to me within 10 hours...

here

This list only includes matches that went into the 4th innings so doesn't include Cardiff 2009. England hadn't been involved in any 9-wicket down matches from 1968-2003, but 7 since!

Edited by Fuctifano

Not to mention the Old Trafford Ashes Test of 2005. I remember watching that one in 2007 against India too, and funnily enough also the WI vs India game.

Crikey, how could I forget that?

I think I was trying to think of ones we'd been on the other end of.

I e-mailed cricinfo and they got back to me within 10 hours...

here

This list only includes matches that went into the 4th innings so doesn't include Cardiff 2009. England hadn't been involved in any 9-wicket down matches from 1968-2003, but 7 since!

Good work.

like this one:

http://www.cricinfo....atch/62930.html

Not only did the West Indies only need one more wicket but England only needed six more runs - all four results were still possible going into the last over. What a game that must have been.

I can't seem to get the link to work, but I think you are talking about the famous 1963 Test at Lords when Colin Cowdrey came to the wicket, having retired hurt earlier in the innings with a broken wrist. He stood at the non-striker's end with a plaster cast on as England secured a draw. Not only a great batsman and a gentleman, but also incredibly brave. He was to face the menace of Lillee and Thompson some 21 years later as a 41 year old.