The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The South Africans are way too conservative and will bat for longer than needed thus meaning Jimmy Anderson will not be required to bat again.

If the pitch has died completely then this is going to turn into a two day snore. If, however, England are just bowling terribly, it could well be all over tomorrow.

I do expect South Africa to misjudge the declaration as per usual.

South Africa to declare with 20 overs to go on Thursday at 800/3, Smith 403* and Kallis 206, setting England 18 overs to chase 818. England survive 8 wickets down and Graam Smuth muses that they almost had them there and rubbishes accusations they could have declared sooner.

South Africa to declare with 20 overs to go on Thursday at 800/3, Smith 403* and Kallis 206, setting England 18 overs to chase 818. England survive 8 wickets down and Graam Smuth muses that they almost had them there and rubbishes accusations they could have declared sooner.

:lol:

If South Africa have any sense they will declare at lunch tomorrow. They should be around 450 ahead by then. However, I expect they will bat on slightly longer.

312/2 at the close and a commanding lead of 330. I can't see England escaping with a draw this time.

I had a strong feeling this was going to happen, too much to ask that batting line-up to fail again, there are too many good players there.

I'd imagine SA will bat beyond lunch tomorrow, but they'll want to be declaring well before tea. With so much time left it's not necessarily negative to bat the other side out the game first, it allows you to set much more attacking fields for one thing.

Edit: And no, I can't see England getting away with this one either.

Edited by Yoss

With a four man attack there were obviously going to be days England took a bit of a pasting in the field, the question is whether England's batsmen can dig themselves out of a hole again like the First Test - FWIW I think Smith got the timing of that declaration just about right - two goes with the first new ball and then an hour (16 overs) with the second one.

This time around I expect SA to declare when the lead reaches 450 (sometime in the second session) and with a stronger attack (Steyn for Ntini and Kallis fitter) I'd back them to bowl England out.

England are fucked unless it rains lots.

Watching Australia against Pakistan, Australia were 286/8, effectively 80 ahead, but Pakistan have come out shockingly negative and Hussey and Siddle have been able to add 21 runs with no alarms. If Aus can get to 150 then you really wouldn't rule them out.

Watching Australia against Pakistan, Australia were 286/8, effectively 80 ahead, but Pakistan have come out shockingly negative and Hussey and Siddle have been able to add 21 runs with no alarms. If Aus can get to 150 then you really wouldn't rule them out.

I'm watching it and Australia now lead by 114. Hussey has reached his century and Siddle is providing effective support at the other end. Pakistan are being incredibly negative and don't seem to believe they can actually defeat the Aussies. Their field is very defensive and they've made life far too easy for the batsmen.

Guest The Phoenix
I was going to put money on it before I went to bed, but I was cursing myself as the odds had already gone from 9/1 at the start of the day to 5/1 so decided not to bother.

Silly boy!

Pakistan capitulated from the outset of Day 5.

They looked like a team expecting to get beaten.

Embarrassing in the extreme - no doubt, given their history, heads will roll.

Silly boy!

Pakistan capitulated from the outset of Day 5.

They looked like a team expecting to get beaten.

Embarrassing in the extreme - no doubt, given their history, heads will roll.

Is it just me, or is there something slightly suspicious about Pakistan's capitulation? Their tactics during the morning session were completely baffling.

....as was some of the batting.

I'll reserve judgement until I watch the highlights at 4pm. Pressure can do strange things to batsmen, but I watched the first session last night/early morning and I simply could not believe the mentality of the Pakistanis. They had up to eight men back on the fence at times with Australia only having two wickets remaining. There was no leadership whatsoever from Mohammad Yousuf.

At a net 50-8 I think even Scotland might have forced a win in this one. Watched about an hour last night and the tactics were bizarre. Everybody on the fence,even when Piddle was on strike. Never seen a team so lost as how to win a match. Yousuf should never captain his country again and the coach must go too. It's one thing losing, it's another to appear as if you lost on purpose.

Meanwhile SA have declared on 447/7 setting England a nominal 466 to win with over a day and a half to go.

Half an hour past tea England are 77/0 in the 25th over. I know surviving for the draw is the most I can hope for, and even that's unlikely, but ....

Meanwhile SA have declared on 447/7 setting England a nominal 466 to win with over a day and a half to go.

Half an hour past tea England are 77/0 in the 25th over. I know surviving for the draw is the most I can hope for, and even that's unlikely, but ....

Pietersen will play some bloody silly expansive shot and be out cheaply.

I'll reserve judgement until I watch the highlights at 4pm. Pressure can do strange things to batsmen,

The commentry team were passing it off as playing conservatively as they didn't want to lose more wickets, I beg to differ.