The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I don't dislike Bell, and I only don't think he should have been playing in this match because of the balance of the side, not because I dislike him or don't rate him personally. But I'm not sorry he's failed twice here, I'm hoping that will tip the balance of team selection for the next Test.

I don't dislike Bell, and I only don't think he should have been playing in this match because of the balance of the side, not because I dislike him or don't rate him personally. But I'm not sorry he's failed twice here, I'm hoping that will tip the balance of team selection for the next Test.

England do have a lot of bowling options, very little in terms of scope for change in the batting which means Cook will probably be safe for the whole series- not that I'd drop him after this game.

I think Bell will go, whether they'll hedge their bets with Look Right as the all-rounder or go for another out and out bowler like Sidebottom or Plunkett (or even Rashid) will depend on the pitch.

Curses - missed a great day's cricket due to the intervention of ReaLife! :rolleyes:

Test cricket at it's best - two batsmen making it look easy then suddenly a wicket falls and it all changes.............

Don't reckon there's much between the two sides - should be a cracking series!

Guest The Phoenix

Pietersen started the rot with the most ridiculous and unneccessary run out, I've seen in years.

For all his genius, he doesn't half know how to be thick.

Still made for great viewing instead of the match petering out to a tame draw.

Edited by The Phoenix

England do have a lot of bowling options, very little in terms of scope for change in the batting which means Cook will probably be safe for the whole series- not that I'd drop him after this game.

I think Bell will go, whether they'll hedge their bets with Look Right as the all-rounder or go for another out and out bowler like Sidebottom or Plunkett (or even Rashid) will depend on the pitch.

Durban is maybe more conducive to swing,im sure i heard it was far more humid. Another bowler is a must. Bell will lose his place.You need to take 20 wickets to win.

I can see it's a tricky decision. Bell wasn't the only failure, Cook is under pressure and Prior didn't bat like a top six batsman in the first Test either, and shortening the batting line-up will increase the pressure on both. But I think it's got to be done. If there's going to be swing in the air there's a strong argument for bringing in Sidebottom as your fifth bowler, but that'd be a bigger risk than I think they'll be willing to take. I'd play Wright, though it does run the risk of falling between two stools and getting another Gavin Hamilton.

Got to bear in mind as well that South Africa's bowling line-up is going to be stronger than last time as well, Steyn will probably return and Kallis will be back to bowling duties. Their difficulty is who to drop to make way for Steyn - by rights it ought to be Ntini, who has looked past his best for a year or so now, and de Wet had a good debut. But that's not an easy decision for them to make either, not least for political reasons.

Reeve is a bit of a fud mind.

Maybe he's just coked-up again.

Re: England, I'm not sure about Look Right's bowling at all, is he going to be much more effective than Collingwood or Trott? A FC average of over 40 suggests not.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon they'll stick with the same team.

Maybe he's just coked-up again.

Re: England, I'm not sure about Look Right's bowling at all, is he going to be much more effective than Collingwood or Trott? A FC average of over 40 suggests not.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon they'll stick with the same team.

I think they should go down the extra bowler route myself. Sidebottom can skelp a ball. They must start relying on the Batsman to do there job. I guess in the end they will hold of till they get a look at the pitch.

With humid conditions likely in Durban, England simply must pick Sidebottom and leave out Bell. I’ve long regarded Bell as spineless and would have called time on his international career long before this series. In the longer term, however, England will have to start showing some faith in Luke Wright because the side could do with a genuine all-rounder to provide some balance. Whilst Broad and Swann are useful lower order batsmen, I’d prefer to see them at 8 and 9, not 7 and 8. The lack of batting options on this tour is unfortunate to say the least.

Guest The Phoenix
With humid conditions likely in Durban, England simply must pick Sidebottom and leave out Bell. I’ve long regarded Bell as spineless and would have called time on his international career long before this series. In the longer term, however, England will have to start showing some faith in Luke Wright because the side could do with a genuine all-rounder to provide some balance. Whilst Broad and Swann are useful lower order batsmen, I’d prefer to see them at 8 and 9, not 7 and 8. The lack of batting options on this tour is unfortunate to say the least.

Excellent post.

Totally agree.

Guest The Phoenix
If England are short of batsman then they could do what they normally do and pick some South Africans. Jaques Rudloph must be qualified after his years with Yorkshire, why not give him a go :huh:

He'd be disqualifed for passport irregularities.

His name is Jacobus Andries Rudolph, commonly known as Jacques.