The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Every time I see Australia play ODI or 20/20 these days they have someone I’ve never heard of in their team. The latest one, Clint McKay sounds like a no-win-no-fee lawyer.

Cracking finish yesterday, forgot to catch the highlights as well. Still think 7-game series are a nonsense, even if they are close.

Today in Abu Dhabi, NZ set Pakistan 212 to win and had them 101-9; 111 needed off 101 balls with 1 wicket remaining. Game over, aye?

Well, no. Mohammed Ammer and Saeed Ajmal put on 103 in 16 overs before Oram had Ajmal caught with 5 balls to go. Would have one of the great escapes / chokes of all time if they'd managed it.

Good series win for Oz in India as well with about half a team missing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8356391.stm

Cricket may return to the BBC or at least a free to air channel. ECB concerned about falling revenue.

I must say i hope that it does come back to free to air(i have Sky) but it should not automatically end up at the BBC. They have shown no interest in the sport for a very long time.

Also just how much does the ECB spend on root and branch cricket. I always think these organisations will happily take the money from Sky but keep it in the bank.

Edited by capybara

Should be interesting to see what the Scottish viewer gets out of this with it being the English and Welsh Cricket team. Perhaps get coverage of our national football team on terrestrial tv.

Fair point. I do not think that Broadcasting is devolved, but Scottish Internationals will not be "Crown Jewels" although the Scottish Government has expressed its disappointment that coverage is on Satellite.At the moment cash is king.Maybe it is a question that should also be directed at the sports governing bodies.

Should be interesting to see what the Scottish viewer gets out of this with it being the English and Welsh Cricket team. Perhaps get coverage of our national football team on terrestrial tv.

Well, that would appear to be the case if what the article says is true. Don't know when Sky's contract with the SFA runs out, if it's just expired/ing then it may be as soon as the qualis next year.

England-based Ashes won't be back on free TV until 2017 anyway as Sky has the contract already for the next lot in 2013.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/8356420.stm

Good if slightly fortunate start for England in the 20/20 game an England record score of 202 and a cracking top score of 85 from 45 balls. from Eion Morgan.

South Africa made a great start in chasing the target down,being 97 without loss after only 9 overs,The high altitude helping the ball on its way. Rain intervened and England win by a run under the D/L method.

http://www.cricinfo.com/indvsl2009/engine/...tch/430881.html

A batters paradise.Centurys galore. Over a thousand runs scored in 3 days.

I just cant be doing with pitches like that anymore. I hope SA has some good pitches but that offer the bowler something.

Not been on to post but i watched Eion Morgan knock in the first 20/20 and it was sublime. Some ridiculous shots played. He hits a cricket ball so hard for a little guy.

I just cant be doing with pitches like that anymore. I hope SA has some good pitches but that offer the bowler something.

Not been on to post but i watched Eion Morgan knock in the first 20/20 and it was sublime. Some ridiculous shots played. He hits a cricket ball so hard for a little guy.

I agree,we had a few posts about this after the recent West Indies tour. Wickets should be a decent competition between bat and ball,i watched some of the India game last night,and while there was some spin the batsman dominated,indeed the wickets that did fall were bouncers.

I agree,we had a few posts about this after the recent West Indies tour. Wickets should be a decent competition between bat and ball,i watched some of the India game last night,and while there was some spin the batsman dominated,indeed the wickets that did fall were bouncers.

Game finished with 1598 runs for 21 wickets, which is pretty disgraceful.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the countries are trying to kill Test cricket in favour of T20 by preparing pitches like this which encourage nothing but mountains of runs and no propsect of a result. I always thought that a 5th day pitch on the sub-continent should be turning square and crumbling.

At least the pitches in SA should have a bit of juice in them. Wonder what odds you'll get on the top Test series run scorer being born in England?

India in with a chance of victory over Sri Lanka. A massive 642 by India pointed to another high scoring draw,but Sri Lanka all out for 229 and 574 following on.

Australia are 322/5 at stumps on day 1 against the Windies.

• 2 weeks later...

India go top of the Test rankings after a couple of thrashings doled out to Sri Lanka, NZ and Pakistan are tied 1-1 after 2 tests, and the Windies are actually holding out in the 2nd Test vs the Aussies but I expect a collapse tonight.

The SA- England series starts on the 16th, hopefully get a bit of discussion on this thread.

worst female streaker ever:

111050.jpg

Should be a decent series v SA. Interesting to see how the ream preform in the Test arena. At least this tour has seen a degree of preparation unlike others. Warm up matches a one day series, all be it was curtailed.And i think there are two more warm up matches before the 1st test.