The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The current injuries to Broad & Collingwood (buttock niggles) are unhelpful to those of us who have to contend with workmates who insist cricket is a poofy game. :lol:

Edited by btb

Guest The Phoenix
Maybe not...

NZ 200 for 9 off 50 overs.

Aussies 11/2 off 5 overs, makings of a classic.

Get Watson and we have a real game on our hands. :D

Guest The Phoenix
Too right. Ferguson isnt 100% fit either so NZ have a great chance here.

Two an over during the first power play... the pressure is building.

Meant to post this earlier but England name the squad for SA at noon- would anticipate 4 South African born players in the squad- they could probably name an entire team full of them though!

I’ll have a guess at

Strauss ©

Cook

Trott

Bell

Pietersen

Collingwood

Prior

Davies

Broad

Anderson

Sidebottom

Onions

Rashid

Swann

+ 1 other pace bowler, normally one taken on tour for experience.

Edited by Fuctifano

Test squad:

Andrew Strauss (Middlesex - captain),

Alastair Cook (Essex - vice captain),

James Anderson (Lancashire),

Ian Bell (Warwickshire),

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire),

Paul Collingwood (Durham),

Steven Davies (Surrey),

Graham Onions (Durham),

Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire),

Liam Plunkett (Durham),

Matt Prior (Sussex),

Adil Rashid (Yorkshire),

Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire),

Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire),

Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire),

Luke Wright (Sussex)

Surprised to see Liam Plunkett back in the reckoning and also Luke Wright?????? Never a Test player in my book but good luck to the lad.

Interesting selection. I hadn't seen Wright coming at all, but he'll be there as cover for Broad - his inclusion plus the omission of an extra batsman (Denly was widely tipped to be included) presumably means they're planning to play five bowlers come what may, though that'll be sorely tested if Prior were to get injured again.

I'm less surprised by Plunkett, he was only 21 / 22 when he played for England before, didn't do too well but (like Anderson two or three years back) he's gone back to his county and by all accounts had a pretty good season. He's got everything to prove yet, but without Flintoff, and once they'd decided not to take Harmison, it was a straight choice between Plunkett and Mahmood if they wanted to have some genuine pace in the squad. And you really do want that option, on at least some of the South African pitches.

Hoggard is mightily pissed off with Yorkshire, he started off talking about the Captaincy and instead they have given him the tin tack.

Well if Yorkshire are to be believed, it was only Hoggard himself who was talking about the captaincy.

But still, got to feel he's a bit unlucky. The ECB have introduced the bonus scheme for younger players as well as effectively increasing wage costs by clamping down on the availability of cheap overseas imports; I probably support both moves but Hoggard is at a stage of his career where he's fallen victim to them. Given the slightly tawdry way in which his England career also came to an end I do feel for him a bit. There are plenty of worse players who have at least had the opportunity to finish up on their terms.

(Not that I'm saying he's finished altogether, hopefully he'll get some more cricket somewhere.)