The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Aus backed themselves with another earlyish declaration against Pakistan, setting them 452 to win with plenty of time left. Pakistan are 170/3 at stumps on day four and will be dreaming of glory, unlikely though it is.

Has anyone ever lost a Test after declaring twice? (I'm not counting the infamous Centurion Test of 200, when I believe SA's second innings was technically forfeited rather than declared.)

The West Indies did it under Garry Sobers back in the day, and I'm sure England either did it or came very close to it recently.

2 good wickets from Teh Swannannator, I hope the Saffers crumple in a heap this afternoon as I'm off today but working tomorrow.

Guest The Phoenix
Meanwhile, England eventually declared on 575/9, lead of 232, and Swann has taken two wickets (Prince and Amla) leaving SA 37/2 at tea.

It's looked a flat and easy pitch for the past two days, you've got to think SA shouldn't have much trouble on it, but pressure does funny things.

The TV "Experts" were right then - Swann will determine the outcome of this Test.

It has to be said the Saffers (the ones playing for the home side) are in piss poor form. Currently heading for back to back home test series defeats against their main rivals (Aus and England). Batting is weak and the bowling is powder puff. Feeling before the series was that SA would struggle to take 20 wickets and so it's proving. The one lad who nearly got them there in the first test (De Wiet) was dropped to make way for Ntini who bowled like a club player. England should win this series 2-0.

Guest The Phoenix
It has to be said the Saffers (the ones playing for the home side) are in piss poor form. Currently heading for back to back home test series defeats against their main rivals (Aus and England). Batting is weak and the bowling is powder puff. Feeling before the series was that SA would struggle to take 20 wickets and so it's proving. The one lad who nearly got them there in the first test (De Wiet) was dropped to make way for Ntini who bowled like a club player. England should win this series 2-0.

Didn't De Wet make way for Steyn?

In any event, it was a baffling decision - De Wet bowled superbly in the 1st Test.

Didn't De Wet make way for Steyn?

Could be right, either way he should never have been dropped. Ntini is playing from memory and Steyn is a legend in his own lunchtime. SA need to find some bowlers quick or they will soon be behind both AUS and ENG in the rankings.

"batting is weak" - really? Smith, Prince, Amla, Kallis, deVilliers, Duminy (with the likes of McKenzie and Rudolph unable to get a game). It's a top six to match anyone's. Or at least I thought so until this afternoon, maybe you were right after all.

The bowling lacks the same strength in depth, agreed.

Edited by Yoss

I hope the Saffers crumple in a heap this afternoon as I'm off today but working tomorrow.

I'm away to the shops now, I hope a few of Girls Aloud are waiting for me in various states of undress when I get back as I'm off today but working tomorrow.

(it's worth a try)

I really didn't see that collapse coming, some shocking batting from SA but fair play to Broad and Swann for bowling accurately.

Edited by Fuctifano

Well, I didn't see that coming. The South Africans often crumble under pressure, but it's still a benign track. Some great bowling from Swann and Broad, though. Credit to Ian Bell; it was a stylish innings scored at a decent rate. I have not an earthly why Broad batted so conservatively but with only four wickets left, England should be able to secure an innings victory tomorrow. To save the match, South Africa will have to bat for the best part of another 70 overs, an unlikely prospect to say the least.

On paper South Africa look a strong side. Any side with Kallis and Smith in the batting line-up should be able to win a few test matches. I'm convinced Dale Steyn will come good at some point during this series and if Ntini gets dropped in favour of de Weit then their bowling is pretty decent. I'm not convinced by Harris; he's clearly not in the same league as Swann.

England's narrow victory in the Ashes shows that this side has some bottle and that may make all the difference in this series. One thing's for sure: England will be unchanged for the next test match.