The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Interesting how strong a team they put out in the forthcoming test against Bangladesh. Some players may be rested. Broad and Collingwood it has been reported.

Right, back to the real cricket then, even if it is only Bangladesh.

Collingwood and Broad have indeed been rested, Onions is out for three months , no place for Sidebottom so chances again for Bresnan and Finn. Morgan is in there too - it would be nice if he did well enough for us to be able to leave out Trott later in the summer, but it's probably not going to be direct competition because Morgan isn't going to be a number three any more than any of the others we've tried in the past few years. Don't see them going five bowlers so I'm imagining Shazad will be the player left out.

Squad: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson, Finn, Shahzad.

That one excited the p&b masses then didn't it? Closer Test than the scoreline suggests, there were times during it when I wasn't sure we were going to be able to take twenty wickets. Finn's performance was a real bonus, Bresnan was disappointing but he has shown he can bowl better than that. I think the lesson is that he's not reliable enough to be part of a four man bowling attack, he's a fourth seamer rather than a third.

He's out with a foot injury anyway for the second Test at Old Trafford (starting tomorrow) and it's a stright choice beteen Shahzad and Sidebottom for his replacement. I suppose I'd quite like to have a look at Shahzad - if only because I already know that Sidebottom's medium-fast isn't likely to trouble the Aussies in flat pitches this winter - but I don't know how good he is or which way the decision is likely to go.

• 1 month later...

See Australia are now pulling away in this Test, they lead Pakistan 293 runs with 5 wickets remaining at Lunch on Day 3.

Interesting to see Shane Watson get his first 5for at Lord's. Perhaps.......................

:lol:

There we go - Katich out first over after lunch before Australia score a run!

:lol:

Australia 334 set Pakistan a target of 440 to win. I expect an Australian victory by at least 150 runs.

Australia 253 & 334 v Pakistan 148 & 289

Australia won by 150 runs

Just! :D

Edited by btb

Day one of the 2nd test between the Aussies and the 'stanis. Australia all out for 88 and Pakistan 56-0.

Wish i had been watching this morning, what the hell happened to the Australian innings? I assume the ball was swinging all over the place?

This is what happens when you don't have a circus clown of a captain like Afridi and instead appoint someone with the respect of the players. With regards to the morning itself, it was indeed swinging all over the place and the main strike bowlers of Pakistan wreaked havoc, especially 18 y/o Aamer who was excellent for such a youngster and his deliveries post lunch to Smith and in particular Johnson were beauties.

Edited by Ignoramus

Was at the first 2 days of Aussie v Pakistan (me and about 3 other people!!!!!! - at start of play yesterday there were 7 of us in the entire stand) and the Aussies were honking on day 1 - the batting was lamentable and the bowling was even worse.

Cracking to be there for Ponters 12,000th run in Test cricket and having got sunburnt ears on Wednesday I think I picked up hypothermia yesterday - it was fecking cold and blowing a gale.