The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'd stick with Cook - we've just had two tests on swinging pitches with bowlers well able to exploit those conditions, it was never going to be a time for opening batsmen to make hay. I'm more worried about Pietersen.

True, but both Trott and Strauss made things look reasonably straightforward yesterday. My main gripes with Cook are that he has been struggling with his technique for some time now and he has a paltry average of only 26 or so against the Aussies. I can see the argument for giving Cook the next two tests (and that will happen in any case) to see if he can book his ticket on the plane. If he continues to fail then he should not be taken to Australia as back up if and when Trott moves up to open the batting with Bell at three. It is make or break time for Alastair Cook.

Pieterson scored the 'ugliest' 80 runs I've seen in a while, but he is class and I have no doubt that he'll find some better form soon.

True, but both Trott and Strauss made things look reasonably straightforward yesterday. My main gripes with Cook are that he has been struggling with his technique for some time now and he has a paltry average of only 26 or so against the Aussies. I can see the argument for giving Cook the next two tests (and that will happen in any case) to see if he can book his ticket on the plane. If he continues to fail then he should not be taken to Australia as back up if and when Trott moves up to open the batting with Bell at three. It is make or break time for Alastair Cook.

Pieterson scored the 'ugliest' 80 runs I've seen in a while, but he is class and I have no doubt that he'll find some better form soon.

They did but the ball wasn't swinging although the pitch was taking spin and they were under no real pressure either. They had plenty of time as well to knock off the runs.

Cook does need to deliver in the next couple of tests or he won't be opening the batting for England down under. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Which is probably about 100 more than they need. But it's a decent recovery considering they were 90 odd for 7.

Never judge a pitch till you've seen the second team bowl.

Great fightback - currently 212/7 with 20 overs still to go before the new ball. Hopefully we'll get a closer Test than the last two.

one run later.......................... :lol: 213/8

one run later.......................... :lol: 214/9

233 all out - nice little cameo from Prior at the end. Could've worked out worse for England, they should have 20 overs tonight and then be able to have another go in the morning.

Edited by btb

Well, you say that, but Pakistan are struggling too. 111-4.

One of those was the the nightwatchman who lasted until the over before lunch - nicely poised.

179/5 - Swann's got his 100th wicket in only his 23rd Test, must be England's best spinner since "Deadly" Derek Underwood. At under 2 runs an over (today) Swann is a lot tighter than any of the seamers, might see Pietersen on for a few overs before the new ball.

Statto from cricinfo has just posted figures for bowlers quickest to 100 wicket in Tests and Swann is there beside Underwood & Warne on reaching this figure in his 23rd Test!

80 overs and the new ball due, vital wicket for England in that over, crazy from Pakistan's PoV, with them (236/6) already past England's First Innings total. Time for a well earned rest for Swann and England's seamers to retrieve the situation.

Pakistan 308 all out - 75 ahead. Tricky few overs for England tonight, nothing to gain but losing a wicket would make Pakistan favourites. Alistair Cook :ph34r:

Edited by btb

England 233 & 221/9 (76.2 ov)

Pakistan 308

England lead by 146 runs with 1 wicket remaining

Missed today's play due to work - I had a feeling that if Cook got into double figures he'd go on and make a ton. Unfortunately for England none of their other batsmen could make a significant contribution so they're looking for an exceptional bowling performance from one of their players or for Pakistan to self destruct. Although it's not been a batsman's paradise I think that England have underperformed with the bat and Pakistan should knock off the runs for a few wickets. When batsmen have been in they've not looked in too much trouble but it's maybe the sort of pitch where a tight bowling attack could make it difficult for new batsmen.

Guest The Phoenix

England 233 & 221/9 (76.2 ov)

Pakistan 308

England lead by 146 runs with 1 wicket remaining

Missed today's play due to work - I had a feeling that if Cook got into double figures he'd go on and make a ton. Unfortunately for England none of their other batsmen could make a significant contribution so they're looking for an exceptional bowling performance from one of their players or for Pakistan to self destruct. Although it's not been a batsman's paradise I think that England have underperformed with the bat and Pakistan should knock off the runs for a few wickets. When batsmen have been in they've not looked in too much trouble but it's maybe the sort of pitch where a tight bowling attack could make it difficult for new batsmen.

If Broad and Finn can scrape another 25+ I can see England winning this.

If Broad and Finn can scrape another 25+ I can see England winning this.

It's going to be a terrific day's play. Wouldn't be surprised to see Swann opening the bowling.

Edited to add; just saw how Cook got his hundred; a forward defensive to the bowler which he promptly threw over the wicketkeeper's head. Most amusing.

Edited by Jim Pansy

Despite the loss of an early wicket, Pakistan have made a very positive start to their run chase. The sooner England bring on Swann the better.

Whatever happens in this innings, England's poor batting has been exposed. Admittedly, Cook justified the faith of the selectors with a good century under extreme pressure but England look as if they can be skittled out for a low score most of the time.

Pakistan 115/3 - require 33 more to win.

Test Match cricket as it's been played since the dawn of time - Pakistan siezed the initiative on the first morning and have dominated the Test, England briefly got back into the match but their collapse last night sealed things. I'm away out but if Pakistan don't see this home pretty easily I'll give up pontificating about this sport.

Pakistan 115/3 - require 33 more to win.

Test Match cricket as it's been played since the dawn of time - Pakistan siezed the initiative on the first morning and have dominated the Test, England briefly got back into the match but their collapse last night sealed things. I'm away out but if Pakistan don't see this home pretty easily I'll give up pontificating about this sport.

What's your definition of pretty easily? This a hell of a finish!!!:P:lol:

Although I missed the bulk of the afternoon session (getting back at 143/6) it didn't seem likely that England were ever going to win - even at 132/6 it was more a matter of Pakistan keeping their nerves and seeing off a low target.

Best call of the morning by FC_1919.

Edited by btb

England 47/4 - Déjà vu.

An excellent ball to remove Cook, but Pieterson chasing a wide half volley only has himself to blame. Collingwood received another good delivery, but he was far too tentative and should have been looking to get forward. Morgan has now gone (47/5) getting another great delivery from Amir, similar to that which got rid of Cook. With both Prior and Trott living dangerously, England look like they are going to get skittled out for a sub-100 score.