The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I cannot remember the last time I saw England field quite so badly. It was truly comical at times. The bowling wasn't much better. They will be absolutely smashed when they come up against a good side, starting with India on Sunday.

Guest The Phoenix

Who does everyone want to win the WC?

Personally I'd love to see the West Indies win it. :)

You're going to be in for a disappointment then.

I'd love England to win it.

Suspect I'll be in for a disappointment as well.

I'd like England to win as always, but they have no chance whatsoever. The sides in with a chance are Australia, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka. I suppose Pakistan could do something, but I think their inconsistency will catch up with them. Assuming England don't win, I'd be delighted to see Sri Lanka emerge victorious. However, I suspect India will be the team to beat.

Could someone explain to me what the 'batting powerplay' is all about please? And is this something that happens in all ODI's or is it just in the world cup?

Happen is all ODI's. There's a bowling and batting powerplay, they are basically the same thing though.

Basically the first 10 overs are a the first powerplay. You're only allowed 2 fielders allowed outside the 30 yard, I think that's the distance, marker allowing for more boundaries.

After the initial 10 overs each captain gets to choose a period of the game where the same rules apply as before but for only 5 overs. Basically each team has 5 overs of powerplay to use.

The batting team will wait to take it when it suits them best and the runs are flowing whereas the bowling team will want to get them out the way.

Hopefully that makes sense.

This is exhilarating stuff from Strauss.

Bet you could have named your own price on England after the first Innings. I thought they'd struggle to get 275. Must be favourites to win now.

This is exhilarating stuff from Strauss.

Bet you could have named your own price on England after the first Innings. I thought they'd struggle to get 275. Must be favourites to win now.

Every time I think the one day game is superfluous, games like this turn up. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.