The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I think Clarke has blown it. He should have stuck England back in at 280-300 runs needed. There's no way England would have got it and frankly, in the context of the series, it wouldn't matter a f**k if they had. Australia absolutely HAVE to win this one or thats the ashes gone for them and they should have declared earlier.

Its not been Clarkes style to be too conservative in his captaincy, but this time, I reckon he has been and it will cost him a chance at winning the test. He needed to gamble I reckon.

There is a chance they could knock England over tomorrow, but looking at the weather, it's not likely.

Edited by Reynard

I think Clarke has blown it. He should have stuck England back in at 280-300 runs needed. There's no way England would have got it and frankly, in the context of the series, it wouldn't matter a f**k if they had. Australia absolutely HAVE to win this one or thats the ashes gone for them and they should have declared earlier.

Its not been Clarkes style to be too conservative in his captaincy, but this time, I reckon he has been and it will cost him a chance at winning the test. He needed to gamble I reckon.

There is a chance they could knock England over tomorrow, but looking at the weather, it's not likely.

He bowled Harris to long in the opening session and allowed England to cruise past the follow on.That bit of time and the runs gained were crucial.

It depends on the weather, but 311 from 90 overs is hardly out of the question. It could still go either way.

I'm also presuming we get an overnight declaration, I'd be very surprised if we don't.

I'm factoring in the weather when I say it will almost certainly be a draw. They've got a bit lucky with the rain so far but the forecast for tomorrow is the worst yet. I don't think there will be anywhere near 90 overs played tomorrow. I'll also be surprised if there isn't an overnight declaration, Aussies are in the last chance saloon now and need to take their chances with the lead they have.

I think where he really ballsed it up was his mistake causing Smith to be run out. Smith looked to be well set and was scoring quickly, if he had stayed in they could have had more runs in hand earlier, leading to an earlier declaration.

I concur, but I would've declared at 250 probably.

It us unlike MC, he is considered one of, if not the most, innovative and inventive Captains in Test cricket. He even managed to win a match declaring while behind last year.

Perhaps the ignominy of the whitewash hanging over his head has pushed him to be more conservative?

I think where he really ballsed it up was his mistake causing Smith to be run out. Smith looked to be well set and was scoring quickly, if he had stayed in they could have had more runs in hand earlier, leading to an earlier declaration.

That didn't help, I really thought they'd have gone for a 20-20 type slog before tea if it was runs on the board that they were wanting. They still have enough, more than enough, to win it, but it's down to time and the weather now. It was quite an interesting bit of the match today simply because the draw was LIKELY and that was obviously no use to Australia but they needed to take a risk with the declaration I think and back their bowlers to keep it tight like they have done as well as get the wickets. They may still do it of course, but I think there is a bit less chance now.

I concur, but I would've declared at 250 probably.

It us unlike MC, he is considered one of, if not the most, innovative and inventive Captains in Test cricket. He even managed to win a match declaring while behind last year.

Perhaps the ignominy of the whitewash hanging over his head has pushed him to be more conservative?

I'm sure he weighed it up all the same, but if there was a time to take the risk then it was this afternoon I reckon. Time will tell, but I think 250, although gettable probably wasn't on. I don't think England were looking to do anything other than take a draw out of this after they lost the toss on a total road of a wicket. It certainly played nice for batting for the Aussies. It was a toss they needed to win and from there on it it was simply a case of stacking the runs and hoping the pressure got to England. I think England just about held it together enough. England dont need to make the runs, they need the top three to simply block like f**k tomorrow,

I was surprised they batted on after the rain delay just before tea when they had about 290 in the bank, I don't think England really had any appetite to chase a target and will happily block their way to a draw rather than risk a defeat and it would have been worth a pop at them under the cloud cover.

If the forecast is at all accurate they'll be lucky to get on the field at any point tomorrow mind you, so probably won't have made a difference in the end.

Edited by Fuctifano

Draw probably worst result for those going to Durham, 2-1 with the series in the balance or 3-0 with the whitewash on would be more fun. Still looking forward to it though although Chester le street is a dive and it will be carnage with nearly 20k likely on the piss.

Draw probably worst result for those going to Durham, 2-1 with the series in the balance or 3-0 with the whitewash on would be more fun. Still looking forward to it though although Chester le street is a dive and it will be carnage with nearly 20k likely on the piss.

I wasn't expecting to like him, but Andrew Strauss has been an excellent addition to Sky's team. I've enjoyed the bits he has done in the nets.

Really enjoyed the coaching. He breaks it down well and explains clearly.

Not a huge fan of him on comms though

I guess he's new to it though and will start to sound les boring (bit harsh I know).

Him facing that 90mph stuff today with the camera right behind him. Jeezo that was fast!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Each to their own but I really like Strauss on the mic, hes now my favourite commentator. Bothams honking though like really grim.

Loves himself a bit doesn't he.

My favorite is Athers. Can't beat a bit of bumble either, he's always good for off topic stuff

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Actually, on the subject of pundits/comms, I think the Sky cricket lot are fantastic (as are TMS).

They are very fair on both sides and compliment opposition players regularly.

This series they have been highly complimentary to Clarke, Siddle and Harris.

They will give criticism where required but they don't sound smug about it.

Contrast that to some football pundits/comms especially on the beeb and itv. Lawrenson/Lineker/Chiles etc when England play Argentina or Germany. Sneering and snidey.