The Cricket Thread

bewlay

All 10 English wickets in the second innings were to balls that weren't hitting the stumps. Some very poor shot selections again.

I particularly thought Broad as being poor.

Rain in the area, you just never know. If each partnership could have lasted 90 mins (I know it's a huge ask) and maybe a couple of hours of rain...

I just think launching it to a fielder on the boundary in the first over of the day basically gift wrapped it to the Aussies.

Alistair Cook's form is particularly worrying for England.

Well, the predicted tupping happened although there might be glimmers of hope from the twitching corpse of that England team. Bell is still in reasonable nick, Root played a VERY nice innings in the second effort, I felt he handled himself beautifully and potentiall came of age as a test batsman. He played straight, he ducked and weaved, he clearly got right up Johnsons nose by grinning like a total fool at him after virtually every delivery and he put away the bad ball nicely. Pity he didnt crash on for a deserved ton actually. Prior got runs again for the first time in many innings, he will feel better about that and err, thats about it really.

Cook is in no form at all, Carberry looks relatively unflustered but is he a massive improvement on a boring digger like Compton? Maybe, maybe not. Root will now bat three and did well enough there. Pitersen batted pretty well and with his game head on for once for his fifty. We know he can do it, and he probably will get at least one big score in this series.. Bell looks good. The problems are with Cook, the number six and probably Prior, although he might have batted away a bit of his slump there, time will tell.

The batting has been bad and they are now trundling down from a slow flat wicket to a fast bouncy result pitch that MJ is going to have a raging hard on about bowling on. Thats the wicket that Jeff Thonson bowled a bouncer which went on to hit the sight screen without bouncing... :o Will Swann play there? Or will England have to go for four seamers? If so, does that mean Tremlett reappearing from butlering duties at the Adams family mansion?

Australia have been well worth their wins so far and will now be full of confidence. It will still be massively enjoyable simply to see if England can find some fight here and if so, which players do it.

I would play Bresnan and drop Swann. Apart from that the same eleven that started the 2nd Test.

Cook, Bell and Pietersen are class batsmen whilst Root and Carberry look the part also. The England team were beaten before they took the field as they let the Aussies and in particular, MJ get under their skins and he broke their concentration. Instead of playing their own game and each ball on its merits, they allowed the Aussie bowlers to dictate to them and play loos shots when it was not necessary.

All is not lost and if they can win the toss and get some runs on the board the confidence should return.

Would Australia be tempted to drop Lyons for Faulkner for The WACAs fast pitch and blast England with pace and swing?

A slow bowler can bowl a lot of overs so take a lot of the work load and let the pace attack rest for shorter, faster bursts. A bouncy wicket can assist some spinners and an all pace attack can get a bit samey with batsmen getting used to it.

They might go for Faulkener but I suspect they will rather go with three and someone to take the load.

A slow bowler can bowl a lot of overs so take a lot of the work load and let the pace attack rest for shorter, faster bursts. A bouncy wicket can assist some spinners and an all pace attack can get a bit samey with batsmen getting used to it.

They might go for Faulkener but I suspect they will rather go with three and someone to take the load.

Can't see the Aussies changing tbh, think they will just use Watson to give the others a rest if they need it.

I'd be absolutely raging at the performances if I were an England fan who'd travelled over. Unbelievably poor so far.

Nah, the trip and the experience more than made up for the result (well no it didnt really but I wouldnt have missed it for the world). And the free day meant I got to spend the last hour of the match on Level 5 of the South Stand which even though its miles from the wicket was offering a fantastic view.

Here is the Bradman Pavilion from my day 1 seat,

Monty goes for a stroll on day 2,

approaching the end of day 3,

the souvenir stall takes the piss,

...and its all over.

Mind you 20 hours in planes each way is a bit of a pisser.

post-10864-0-43385600-1386866678_thumb.j

post-10864-0-83820300-1386866727_thumb.j

post-10864-0-48334700-1386866817_thumb.j

post-10864-0-22839700-1386866881_thumb.j

post-10864-0-90070600-1386866977_thumb.j