The Cricket Thread

bewlay

BT sport competing with Sky can only be a positive for the consumer, and the sport. They will have to pay more to secure the rights, but also will have to be a bit more competitive with their pricing if both end up with similar outputs.

We just have to hope they will compete over SPFL rights

I've been half toying with the idea of cancelling sky sports. Only things that are stopping me are the cricket and the Scottish football coverage. If Sky lose the rights to the England home tests then I think I probably would cancel Sky. Buying the Australian rights seems a pretty big message from BT that they want to properly have a stake in cricket. Could be interesting.

How long would BT manage to maintain their current pricing though if they keep shelling out for expensive rights?

BT sport competing with Sky can only be a positive for the consumer, and the sport. They will have to pay more to secure the rights, but also will have to be a bit more competitive with their pricing if both end up with similar outputs.

Yeah, that's happening isn't it? Billionaires love dropping their prices.

The major difference now is that you used to get fleeced once to watch live sport, now you get fleeced twice.

Yeah, that's happening isn't it? Billionaires love dropping their prices.

The major difference now is that you used to get fleeced once to watch live sport, now you get fleeced twice.

Yup.

Also think BT have massively overpaid for this. Something like £80m with the main reason for paying it being five tests that'll be played overnight here.

At least a few will be on while people are off work so they should get a few people staying up late. I can't imagine there will be loads. Hopefully the highlights will be on terrestrial at a reasonable time but I doubt it.

Ideally, someone would start a war in Australia so they have to play their home matches at a neutral venue in a sensible time zone.

I see Aggers was putting out some seriously disconcerting feelers about the BBC losing the radio broadcast rights. That'd be horrendous, because it'd be TalkSport that would take over.

TMS is the best thing on the radio. Would be terrible if true.

Talksport did an England tour of the West Indies a few years back. It wasn't bad but it wasn't TMS.

It doesn't help that their chief cricket correspondent is an insufferable blowhard. The co-commentators were Boycott and other bit part TMS guys as I recall.

It doesn't help that their chief cricket correspondent is an insufferable blowhard. The co-commentators were Boycott and other bit part TMS guys as I recall.

'Watching for talksport its Jack Bannister'

Watching the game on TV from his couch.

Well my view is well known. I think Englands success is largely down to bowling first on two very helpful pitches.

Sorry, hadn't realised England won 3 tests on two pitches?

Was Australia's "success" down to luckily batting first on two pitches?

Your view is indeed well known though. That's why you are point and laugh material during this series.

Edited by H_B

Is that what they actually do? I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to Talksport.

They don't say he is there but just that he is watching the games for talkSPORT. They add some background noise for effect.

I stopped listening when it went 24hr sport so it might be different now.