The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Amazing how similar it is to the first test when they were 286-4 at the close. At least they managed to fit in the full 90 overs.

England took the last 6 wickets for 100 odd and Ali has got out cheaply again. Interesting game on the cards.

The depth of England's batting could be a key feature as their tail is confined to just Wood & Anderson whereas Pakistan have collapsed in all three Innings so far this series - I was prepared to overlook Pakistan's first Innings at Abu Dhabi as them going for quick runs but the subsequent two collapses came with little in the way of mitigating factors.

Edited by btb

Odd fact from the quiz in The Australian. Of Don Bradman's 6,996 test runs he only hit 6 sixes. Did they have longer boundaries in those days?

One day cricket and especially 20/20 have seen a huge rise in the number of 6s. This has very clearly drifted into the test matches too.

I think the nature of the game was different back then. How many 6s did boycott hit? Can't be many.

One day cricket and especially 20/20 have seen a huge rise in the number of 6s. This has very clearly drifted into the test matches too.

I think the nature of the game was different back then. How many 6s did boycott hit? Can't be many.

8 in 8,114 test runs according to ESPNcricinfo. That's in 108 tests against 52 tests for the Don.

That middle order is far too inconsistent.

Buttler must be on thin ice, I'd consider dropping him, giving Bairstow the gloves and bringing in Hales to open with Ali down at 5.

Buttler and Bell must be close to the exit door, since the NZ series Buttler is averaging 14 or so. Bell has still had the odd big score but he is also getting out too cheaply too often. Once Root went it's been an implosion.

Still very much in the balance. If Root goes early tomorrow, England could crumble. We'll see.

Another low score for Bell who could be coming to the end of his Test career....

Crumble it was then.

Buttler drops a catch early on but takes the same player off Anderson soon afterwards.