The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Ali showing loose technique against the new ball once again. My 11 for the next test is

Cook

Hales (in the absence of anyone else)

Taylor

Root

Stokes

Ali

Bairstow

Rashid

Broad

Wood

Anderson

Stokes Ali and Bairstow could interchange if need be. Bell is finished and England took away a strength when they moved Ali. Butler giving way to Bairstow retains the multiple bowling options England are seeking

Ali showing loose technique against the new ball once again. My 11 for the next test is

Cook

Hales (in the absence of anyone else)

Taylor

Root

Stokes

Ali

Bairstow

Rashid

Broad

Wood

Anderson

Stokes Ali and Bairstow could interchange if need be. Bell is finished and England took away a strength when they moved Ali. Butler giving way to Bairstow retains the multiple bowling options England are seeking

Ali won't make an opener imo, just doesn't have enough patience for it. Much better in the middle order with the older ball, as you say he was excellent there and was consistently scoring decent runs. The lack of another opener to partner Cook is causing problems, the usual suspects will be calling for Root to be moved there again, which would be another bad move.

Stokes at five would far too high.

For me, Ali bats at 8 or not at all.

Sweet Baby James is next in line, but I suspect it's at the expense of the wicket keeper, who just looks frazzled.

Hales should be opening if he's going to open in South Africa.

England are 361 runs behind at the close with 7 wickets in hand. Excellent innings from Root, he has to stay there all day tomorrow for England to have a chance. Not really sure that Bairstow can hang about, he was like a rabbit in the headlights at times there.