The Cricket Thread

bewlay

34 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Ton for Gus Atkinson. What a debut summer of test cricket he’s had! He’s looked like a proper batter as well, it hasn’t been a lower order thrash of an innings. 

And to think he’d be batting at 9 or 10 in a full strength line up.   

Sri Lanka opening with their keeper who kept for 100 overs is….interesting. Especially since this is their 3rd keeper used within 2 Tests, and they have another one in the squad. Sri Lanka have about 8 million keepers in all of their squads too, but they manage to find a way to open with one. 

eta - have to say I’ve always liked Olly Stone. He’s always performed well for England despite always being injured. If England can get 3 of Stone, Atkinson, Wood and Archer to Australia they’ll be happy.

Edited by Sir Tarmo

As well as Rocky Flintoff starting to attract headlines, Michael Vaughan's son Archie has taken his first first-class wicket today, I can even remember Vaughan leaving the Pakistan tour for his birth, which does not seem 18 and a bit years ago.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

As well as Rocky Flintoff starting to attract headlines, Michael Vaughan's son Archie has taken his first first-class wicket today, I can even remember Vaughan leaving the Pakistan tour for his birth, which does not seem 18 and a bit years ago.

Could probably play them both in the next test with no discernible impact on the result.  Sri Lanka wilting here. 

And the dreadful Olly Pope fails again.

Nearly 50 tests and averaging less than 35.  The hype about this boy is unreal, possibly one of the worst players of spin I've seen.

He must have the same publicity team as the woeful Bairstow, undoubtedly the luckiest man to ever play 100 test matches.

On a plus point JE Root still looks like a rolls royce and hopefully has a few sublime years left.  He's aging like a fine wine.

The way Root is playing, along with the great new additions of Smith and Atkinson, it doesn’t look likely England lose a Test for the next year. Pakistan away will be a 3-0 the way Pakistan are currently playing. New Zealand away and Zimbabwe at home shouldn’t be a problem either. The home India series and the Ashes are where the next real tests will arrive.

1 hour ago, Arthur Orton said:

And the dreadful Olly Pope fails again.

Nearly 50 tests and averaging less than 35.  The hype about this boy is unreal, possibly one of the worst players of spin I've seen.

I’m not too sold on him as a player but I’m even less sold on him as a captain. Couldn’t think of anyone in the XI that is less ‘captaincy material’ than him.

2 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

The way Root is playing, along with the great new additions of Smith and Atkinson, it doesn’t look likely England lose a Test for the next year. Pakistan away will be a 3-0 the way Pakistan are currently playing. New Zealand away and Zimbabwe at home shouldn’t be a problem either. The home India series and the Ashes are where the next real tests will arrive.

I’m not too sold on him as a player but I’m even less sold on him as a captain. Couldn’t think of anyone in the XI that is less ‘captaincy material’ than him.

Fortunately I can’t think of anyone more obviously captaincy material than Harry Brook.   

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Fortunately I can’t think of anyone more obviously captaincy material than Harry Brook.   

Brook should undoubtedly be the next captain, would be a horrible mistake to go with Pope. Your vice-captain should also be someone you actually would want as captain, not just a token gesture, as you effectively have to go with them if the captain is injured or you look foolish.

On 31/08/2024 at 14:03, Savage Henry said:

On 31/08/2024 at 14:12, Sir Tarmo said:

Brook should undoubtedly be the next captain, would be a horrible mistake to go with Pope. Your vice-captain should also be someone you actually would want as captain, not just a token gesture, as you effectively have to go with them if the captain is injured or you look foolish.

Whilst I fully agree that Brook is a future captain, I think Stokes disappearing will come too early for him (I reckon Stokes plays his final test in the next 12 months). They need to let him settle in and have a few years of test cricket behind him, imo. I’d suggest Duckett as the next captain as a bridge for a couple of years, before Brook takes over around 2026/27. 

11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Whilst I fully agree that Brook is a future captain, I think Stokes disappearing will come too early for him (I reckon Stokes plays his final test in the next 12 months). They need to let him settle in and have a few years of test cricket behind him, imo. I’d suggest Duckett as the next captain as a bridge for a couple of years, before Brook takes over around 2026/27. 

I agree about Stokes, I think his days are numbered. He won’t go past the next Ashes if he even gets there. I don’t disagree that it may too early for Brook, but I think they’d go with Pope in your scenario, rightly or wrongly.

4 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

I agree about Stokes, I think his days are numbered. He won’t go past the next Ashes if he even gets there. I don’t disagree that it may too early for Brook, but I think they’d go with Pope in your scenario, rightly or wrongly.

I think you’re probably right, they’re too stubborn to admit a mistake once they’ve made it, and would give Pope far too much time to prove it the wrong choice. It’s not helped by there not being another obvious candidate on the team. None of the bowlers are guaranteed their spot game to game, Brook I’ve covered, that leaves you with Root and the openers as established and secure in their place in the team at the moment. So you have a choice of Pope, Crawley and Duckett. I’d go Duckett as the older head. 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Seems the logical thing to do.  

I have no real thoughts but it’s certainly interesting since Rob Key previously stated he preferred split red/white-ball coaches and reports that McCullum wanted to continue living in New Zealand. An all format international gig, particularly at one of the ‘big 3’, is almost a 24/7/365 job.