The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A great start for Australia. England must be getting a bit twitchy now. No England bowler has looked anywhere near as dangerous as Ryan Harris and Warner seems intent on taking on Swann. Cook's captaincy will be under intense scrutiny as this match progresses. 299 looks achievable and I don't think anyone could deny Australia deserve a victory somewhere along the line.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

This is the problem we have been saying all along about the lack of a fourth seamer. Bresnan is not good enough to be the first change bowler and even though Finn has been out of form is nowhere near as threatening as him or Tremlett or even Onions.

The England selectors have got themselves in a real muddle over the number six batsman and seamer selection for a bit of a while now and it's coming back to bite them in the arse this time around.

Swann has just taken Rogers and needs to hit top form now to give England a chance of victory.

Eta - Bresnan has taken just 13 wickets in his last 8 test matches.

Edited by Tynieness

Glad England got the first wicket lets hope for more to follow soon.

A little stat from the BBC about the last century opening partnership for Australia in the Ashes was 185 by Langer & Hayden at the Oval in 2005 that's 35 innings without an opening partnership of 100.

120-1 at tea, 179 more needed.

Unless Swann starts ripping through them or Australia start panicking they should get this- the new ball was doing all sorts for Harris this morning (compare the two balls that got Bell and Prior out, one scuttled low and one spat up from more or less the same spot) but England didn't use it anywhere near as well.

A combination of poor bowling by England and Cook's negativity has meant that this is now Australia's test match to lose. Warner has batted very well but the vast majority of his runs have been scored off the back foot. England have just bowled too short and Cook looks clueless.

Bresnan has been clinging on to his spot because of what he offers with the bat - and his knock this morning arguably put England into a winning position. But he falls woefully short as a strike bowler and it leaves a brutal over-reliance on Anderson, who hasn't performed here.

Onions was an obvious pick on his home ground to freshen things up and give the attack a new dimension.

But credit to the Aussies. Their play throughout this series has deserved victory in at least one test.

MJW, do England need saving? I ask because (as other posters know) I'm just at the kindergartine stage re. cricket. My (untutored) take is that it's, to use a technical term, eeksy-peeksy - and all hangs on tomorrow's opening session.

Have I made a chunt of myself here?

No,Jim Maxwell is the Aussie on the TMS team and he was having a wee dig.

Bresnan has been clinging on to his spot because of what he offers with the bat - and his knock this morning arguably put England into a winning position. But he falls woefully short as a strike bowler and it leaves a brutal over-reliance on Anderson, who hasn't performed here.

Onions was an obvious pick on his home ground to freshen things up and give the attack a new dimension.

But credit to the Aussies. Their play throughout this series has deserved victory in at least one test.

You can also argue that Bresnan's knock was only required due to the fact that England don't actually have a proper third seamer therefore allowing the Aussies more runs than they should have gotten.

No,Jim Maxwell is the Aussie on the TMS team and he was having a wee dig.

Ah thanks - I missed that.

Anyway, I logged in to say, "Looking good for The Aussies" However, Warner's just gone so who knows! This is such an enjoyable test, though. I hope Australia nick it though - if for no other reason than to make the match at The Oval more meaningful.

Shane Warne stirring it up a wee bit on Twitter:

- that Cook is having a horror with his captaincy today

- comparing England's coaching from the balcony (to cook on the field) to Under 10s cricket

Chasing 100 with 5 wickets remaining would be v exciting. Aus still have the advantage with 3 down and Clarke still there.