Garden Options

HGG

Peppers in the greenhouse are coming on.

Yep, mine too, slowly but surely.

My chilli plant also has flowers but no sign of fruit yet. I'm wondering if it will have time now???

I've just ordered some bulbs, garlic sets and spring cabbage seeds. I also got a bay tree, I've always wanted one :)

Tomatoes died off when I was away although my Dad was supposed to be watering them :(

I gave the responsibility of watering the tomatoes to the boy. Good job it wasn't the dogs he was minding. I'll still get some, just not as many as usual.

• 4 weeks later...
Right, my tomato plants are huge now, nearly 2 foot. What am I pinching off? I have no idea where to start or even if I have to pinch anything off at all yet!

Nip out the side shoots, between the leafs and main stem. Once you have four or five flower trusses, take the top off.

Once your tomatoes appear, start removing leaves from the bottom, one or two a day. I only keep about 6 leafs on each plant.

My plants are almost finished now, got a good few tomatoes.

Nip out the side shoots, between the leafs and main stem. Once you have four or five flower trusses, take the top off.

Once your tomatoes appear, start removing leaves from the bottom, one or two a day. I only keep about 6 leafs on each plant.

My plants are almost finished now, got a good few tomatoes.

Sorted. Thanks.

Christ, they stink! :lol:

• 5 months later...

Got back in the garden today. Spent a happy afternoon angle grinding the f**k out of most of my garden, doing all the heavy duty pruning that I couldn't do last year due to a lack of time, space and tools. Also dug in fuckloads of compost to raise all the flower beds by a few inches, cleaned out everything dead, bought a range of solar lights for night time ambience, put in some heather that I had sitting, and laid bark chips over a wee isolated flower bed. My wee garden is almost all ready for spring and planting now.8)

Am thinking about buying some sort of wee solar water feature though, anyone had any experience of buying these? The garden is too wee for a proper pond, and I don't want to run an electric water pump.

I dont know much about the solar powered equipment.

Im planning on getting the garden done next week. I have the huge acer that I bought last year to plant (its been in my garage to protect it from frost) and my fiance just bought a rake of plants from B&Q as they were on sale.

Id also like to see about getting some proper garden lights and an automatic waterer for my greenhouse fitted.

We need to lift 80% of the grass and make it into a play area this spring and the other 20% we may lift and put rubber matting down. Even with increased dranage our garden is so wet all year round and with the dogs it just turns to bog.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the Acer in today.That and about 10-15 other plants.

Dug up a lot of the old bamboo roots. Im expecting more through, but should be better this year.

Cleaned out the greenhouse too.

I also weeded out the veg patch in preparation for sewing seeds next month or so.

I cleaned out the greenhouse last week. Ground here in parts still frozen solid. Might tidy up and start pruning back this weekend.

You can only do it when the sun is out though, as soon as it's away, it's too cold to be outside. Brrrrr.

Managed to get the Acer in today.That and about 10-15 other plants.

Dug up a lot of the old bamboo roots. Im expecting more through, but should be better this year.

Cleaned out the greenhouse too.

I also weeded out the veg patch in preparation for sewing seeds next month or so.

I had one that was doing well for five or six years but it took wind damage last year and I had to prune off a lot of dead wood. I've been left with a stumpy piece of bonsai shite now. It's going to be left in this year to see how it does but if it still looks shit it's getting binned. I thought I'd put it in a sheltered spot as well... I really like Jap maples once they are established. Nice looking wee trees.

I had one that was doing well for five or six years but it took wind damage last year and I had to prune off a lot of dead wood. I've been left with a stumpy piece of bonsai shite now. It's going to be left in this year to see how it does but if it still looks shit it's getting binned. I thought I'd put it in a sheltered spot as well... I really like Jap maples once they are established. Nice looking wee trees.

Yeah best to give it until the end of Autumn too see if it can sort itself out.

Acers are probably my favourite garden plant.

We have 2 in the front garden now, and I think about 4 in the back.

They're prone to 'wind burn' so Im not sure how my new ones in the front garden will get on as its more exposed.

I have put conifers in and Im allowing my hedge to grow higher to give them some protection but it will take a few years to get to the height I want.

Ive decided to put up a few pictures.

Itll be nice too look back in a good few months to see the difference the summer will make.

Back garden pics

2010-03-08163704.jpg

General back garden picture. The acer just at the chimnea suffered a bit last year so Im going to have too keep an eye on it too see how it does this year.

2010-03-08163718.jpg

All old weeds/dead plants cleaned out the Greenhouse and ready for seeding soon.

2010-03-08163737.jpg

Veg patch and lower path and garden dug up and removed b*****ding bamboo roots that were causing bamboo to come up through my veg last year. As I say, I dont think Ive got it all out but Ill go back to it in a few weeks and hopefully get the rest cleared out.

2010-03-08163801.jpg

Hopefully this should go all lovely and green over the next few months. Looks awfully bare just now :(

Front Garden

2010-03-08163837.jpg

New acer in and looking good. Some other 'blue' tree and my fiance wanted heathers at the bottom. :)

One of the new conifers is visible at the front right which should hopefully protect the acer once it grows a bit.

2010-03-08163845.jpg

Closer shot of acer and hedge in background. I dont know what the wee blue tree thing that we put in is, but it looked nice when we bought it about 6 months ago :P

2010-03-08163903.jpg

Other acer that was put in just before November if I recall correctly. Hopefully itll be ok.

You can see the hedge in the background that Im trying to grow up to help protect them from windburn.

Edit- Acers might be a bit hard too see as theyre essentuially sticks at the moment . No leaves :P

Edited by MattBairn

Yeah best to give it until the end of Autumn too see if it can sort itself out.

Acers are probably my favourite garden plant.

We have 2 in the front garden now, and I think about 4 in the back.

They're prone to 'wind burn' so Im not sure how my new ones in the front garden will get on as its more exposed.

I have put conifers in and Im allowing my hedge to grow higher to give them some protection but it will take a few years to get to the height I want.

My garden has a high wall right round it and it didn't even seem to help the poor bugger. Probably just bad luck with this one. I'll see how much new growth comes on to it this spring and if it's deemed unnacceptable then it's getting cut for firewood. I'll maybe see if there are any better types for hardiness. I'm sure there must be some that handle the weather better than others.

My garden has a high wall right round it and it didn't even seem to help the poor bugger. Probably just bad luck with this one. I'll see how much new growth comes on to it this spring and if it's deemed unnacceptable then it's getting cut for firewood. I'll maybe see if there are any better types for hardiness. I'm sure there must be some that handle the weather better than others.

On second thoughts, you might need to give it a couple of years to recover. I wouldnt be too hasty in throwing it out.

If you wanted you could move it to a pot (depending on the roots) and see if you can bring it on in that if you didnt want it spoiling the look of your garden.