Garden Options

HGG

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Does anyone use one of those flamethrower-type things for killing weeds?

Bought one in aldi's a few years ago, easier just spraying weedkiller.

Bought one in aldi's a few years ago, easier just spraying weedkiller.

Cheers, I'd imagine the expectation of a mass weed bonfire wouldn't quite match the reality of pissing about with a tiny propane tank.

On 28/05/2017 at 15:20, WeAreElgin said:

Does anyone use one of those flamethrower-type things for killing weeds?

The wee wand ones aren't up to much. There's an old boy on our street that's got a ancient-looking thing that almost looks like a proper flamethower that I'm always dying to ask him for a shot of.

I've never seen anything like it in a shop - either they've since been banned or he brought it home from WW2.

The wee wand ones aren't up to much. There's an old boy on our street that's got a ancient-looking thing that almost looks like a proper flamethower that I'm always dying to ask him for a shot of.
I've never seen anything like it in a shop - either they've since been banned or he brought it home from WW2.

Thanks. I might just tape a lighter and the various Lynx Africa sets together on the end of a stick for the ultimate DIY weed killer.

Just now, WeAreElgin said:

Thanks. I might just tape a lighter and the various Lynx Africa sets together on the end of a stick for the ultimate DIY weed killer.

I make my own out of bleach, salt and any other toxic stuff I can find. For a good instant result boiling water works well.

I make my own out of bleach, salt and any other toxic stuff I can find. For a good instant result boiling water works well.

I like the resourcefulness, kill off those perennial weeds and any snails/cats that happen to come across the affected area.

I'll call it Agent Orange-order.

7 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

I like the resourcefulness, kill off those perennial weeds and any snails/cats that happen to come across the affected area.

I'll call it Agent Orange-order.

I'm  not saying there's no collateral damage, but gardening is a results driven business.

I just got some nice slate chipping stones and laid them in the front garden border today, looks excellent. It's basically just been soil as I'm too lazy to plant anything and I'm just picking weeds out every 2 weeks. I plan on doing the same now with the back garden border however that's massive so may be an idea to get it delivered by tonne. 

Cheers bud. That border that's barked in the front hadn't been touched for years when we moved in. When I cleared it at the start of the month it was brutal to clear. Moss everywhere. Weeds taking over plants.

4996764fbc45c3e791809e0964fee919.jpg

dace90ba73227661a3d62f73c33819e0.jpg

bc34322f1154571473181f960009f9f7.jpg

2 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Cheers bud. That border that's barked in the front hadn't been touched for years when we moved in. When I cleared it at the start of the month it was brutal to clear. Moss everywhere. Weeds taking over plants.

Really neat young DJ - an absolute credit.  The garden seat is a let down.  Did you not think of making one out of pallets and then applying some sort of white wash?  Like this?

bench.JPG.0cbd1e716a844639b0e4d18395593a55.JPG