Garden Options

HGG

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

At my wits end about what to do with this border in my back garden.

I've bought bark and had just planned to put down fresh weed suppressant and cover it over.

However, with it being clay soil, there's no drainage. It also runs west to east with the house on the south side and a 7 ft hedge on the west side. It gets no sun at all. So struggles to dry out.

I turned it at the start of the year and removed all the weeds. But it's compacted again and not draining at all.

Ideal world I'd run a raised bed the full length, but I don't have the budget for that.

Any thoughts?

1940b09b5a3d8f77774a6b1394ea5282.jpg

f0c2a3f2c09e542555127489d407eb8c.jpg

1730b744665156396b65b3815d6f11ca.jpg

30037ee2d47925939b9cb4fb87479bab.jpg

Tell Alan Titchmarch you've only got 6 months to live and he'll fix it.

5 hours ago, dave.j said:

I've bought bark and had just planned to put down fresh weed suppressant and cover it over.

However, with it being clay soil, there's no drainage. It also runs west to east with the house on the south side and a 7 ft hedge on the west side. It gets no sun at all. So struggles to dry out.

I turned it at the start of the year and removed all the weeds. But it's compacted again and not draining at all.

Ideal world I'd run a raised bed the full length, but I don't have the budget for that.

Any thoughts?

Dig a wee drainage ditch so that it will empty into a neighbours garden.

Dig it out as deep as you can afford and fill it with Type B Filter Stone (40mm round). Put the geotextyle weed suppressant back on top of that then bark or gravel. Won't 100% cure it (only a full drain would do that) but it'll drastically up the water capacity in that area reducing the amount of times it gets that flooded.

Dig it out as deep as you can afford and fill it with Type B Filter Stone (40mm round). Put the geotextyle weed suppressant back on top of that then bark or gravel. Won't 100% cure it (only a full drain would do that) but it'll drastically up the water capacity in that area reducing the amount of times it gets that flooded.

Pfffft, what do you know?

9 hours ago, dave.j said:

Any thoughts?

What about a couple of goldfish?

9 hours ago, dave.j said:

Any thoughts?

whatever you do don't fight it as it'll cost too much to fix.

you could create your own marshland with local plants, they'd soon soak up that water and thrive rhere

10 hours ago, dave.j said:

Any thoughts?

Bump soil from the local park.

Spent all day cutting down trees and hedges in my garden, looking over at it from the kitchen window I really haven't scratched the surface. I have an almighty pile of wood and leaves, will need to invest in a fire pit to get shot of them. Beginning to think I've made a terrible mistake starting this on my week off, it's going to consume my life.

I'm the least green fingered person on the planet, but I'm about to hand over the keys to my dad's house to the new owners at the end of the month and I'd like to take cuttings from his rose bushes and try to get them to root so I can plant them in my garden somewhere.

Is this an easy thing to do?  How does one go about it?

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm the least green fingered person on the planet, but I'm about to hand over the keys to my dad's house to the new owners at the end of the month and I'd like to take cuttings from his rose bushes and try to get them to root so I can plant them in my garden somewhere.

Is this an easy thing to do?  How does one go about it?

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think you need rooting hormone that you dip the cut stems in.
Also the cut must be clean with a sharp secateurs.
I'd go to a garden centre for advice because you might be picking up that rooting stuff anyway.

^^This.

PLus, rose cuttings can be an absolute nightmare depending on the type of rose. So don't knock yourself out if they don't take and you lose them.

Do you know the name of the rose?

On 03/08/2017 at 21:30, TAJ said:

whatever you do don't fight it as it'll cost too much to fix.

you could create your own marshland with local plants, they'd soon soak up that water and thrive rhere

People roundabout you will have the same problem, not in the same place though.....you could ask them what plants they used or what they did to solve the problem.

If there's 1 thing gardeners love doing, its talking about their garden and they really don't mind if you ask for a cutting of a plant you like.

People roundabout you will have the same problem, not in the same place though.....you could ask them what plants they used or what they did to solve the problem.
If there's 1 thing gardeners love doing, its talking about their garden and they really don't mind if you ask for a cutting of a plant you like.

I've no bloody idea where I'm heading. In fact I've got loads of ideas, just can't decide which one.

Added to the fact there's an 8 ft wide run of stones beside it!

Money no object it gets paved and the grass brought in to meet the paving. But it would need dug up, drained, re soiled etc

I can tend and add to borders no bother. Learning every day. But anything that gets close to landscaping and I'm putting up my keys. Demonstrated by the fact we have 3 rusty clothes poles... and 3 new ones have been in the garage for 12 months.

11 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think you need rooting hormone that you dip the cut stems in.
Also the cut must be clean with a sharp secateurs.
I'd go to a garden centre for advice because you might be picking up that rooting stuff anyway.

10 hours ago, TAJ said:

^^This.

PLus, rose cuttings can be an absolute nightmare depending on the type of rose. So don't knock yourself out if they don't take and you lose them.

Do you know the name of the rose?

Cheers.  One of the boys in the work suggested cutting it back and digging up the whole plant and transplanting it, which sounds a bit easier than trying to get cuttings to take.

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Cheers.  One of the boys in the work suggested cutting it back and digging up the whole plant and transplanting it, which sounds a bit easier than trying to get cuttings to take.

Yip, that's the way to go.

Just remember to dig a deep hole and fill it with a lot of manure.

*The similarities between this advice and Ibrokes is merely coincidental. :lol: