Garden Options

HGG

Not me personally but we've hired a company to just turn the dump out the back into a grass area for the wee one to play in and some decking for us. They just started laying the decking today. They estimate they've taken away around 21 tonnes of concrete and the first layer of top soil was around 10. So I reckon I've made the right call not doing it myself. Not done yet but it's coming along nicely:-

IMG-20180802-WA0003.jpg.759b84ac8ca707d3d86e92de987e6375.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0008.thumb.jpg.8ff4ad302b2d67cbd119b96ad58f48ff.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0006.thumb.jpg.b2d7baeb1cab84bfbf9fd806bfef5c70.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0007.thumb.jpg.abd709f6adaf407dacf0f0bf53284b79.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0004.jpg.5b2b1205cf982eacacd77fa3bc646359.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0002.jpg.89825cba74dbd5bf891834bc20dc0151.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0005.jpg.b9db53e438eadf6cd699b6e40aa3a6cf.jpg
Good call getting a company in.
My next project is my back garden. Its an absolute uneven mess. I've had a quote of £800 for a company to come in and dig it out onto 2 levels and remove the spoil, estimated about 16-18 tonnes.
I'll then do the retaining walls myself with they big railway sleepers and add decking to the top layer (with a small artificial putting green, wife doesnt know that yet) and slab the bottom tier with a wee seating bit and outside lights along the retaining wall.
I've got a great idea in my head for it but the digging outs the main bit I can't do myself.
More or less finished the front, again that was an even grassy mess I dug out myself, built raised flower beds and a small wall and re-tarred the path and finished it off with some buff pebbles. Its nothing magnificent but at least I know I done it myselfDSC_0042.JPGDSC_0043.JPG

Not me personally but we've hired a company to just turn the dump out the back into a grass area for the wee one to play in and some decking for us. They just started laying the decking today. They estimate they've taken away around 21 tonnes of concrete and the first layer of top soil was around 10. So I reckon I've made the right call not doing it myself. Not done yet but it's coming along nicely:-

IMG-20180802-WA0003.jpg.759b84ac8ca707d3d86e92de987e6375.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0008.thumb.jpg.8ff4ad302b2d67cbd119b96ad58f48ff.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0006.thumb.jpg.b2d7baeb1cab84bfbf9fd806bfef5c70.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0007.thumb.jpg.abd709f6adaf407dacf0f0bf53284b79.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0004.jpg.5b2b1205cf982eacacd77fa3bc646359.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0002.jpg.89825cba74dbd5bf891834bc20dc0151.jpgIMG-20180802-WA0005.jpg.b9db53e438eadf6cd699b6e40aa3a6cf.jpg

Fair skelp of gairden you got [emoji106]

Good call getting a company in.
My next project is my back garden. Its an absolute uneven mess. I've had a quote of £800 for a company to come in and dig it out onto 2 levels and remove the spoil, estimated about 16-18 tonnes.
I'll then do the retaining walls myself with they big railway sleepers and add decking to the top layer (with a small artificial putting green, wife doesnt know that yet) and slab the bottom tier with a wee seating bit and outside lights along the retaining wall.
I've got a great idea in my head for it but the digging outs the main bit I can't do myself.
More or less finished the front, again that was an even grassy mess I dug out myself, built raised flower beds and a small wall and re-tarred the path and finished it off with some buff pebbles. Its nothing magnificent but at least I know I done it myselfDSC_0042.JPG.c3f87bce0f531e4a157f760874ed144f.JPGDSC_0043.JPG.05163e12cda7bb9ef77f0f6823f1d3ca.JPG
The concrete is what drove up the price in ours obviously. You've done more than I'm ever likely to do. I just don't get any pleasure from gardening and have no idea how those guys can do it for a living. I imagine you get a sense of achievement when you're finished but unless it was my own garden I wouldn't be that arsed [emoji38]

Fair skelp of gairden you got [emoji106]

It's not bad tbf. Think he measured it 18ft x 18ft. Plenty of room for the decking and lots for the wee one to play with. Hoping for a decent size/quality Wendy house/play house and some room for a trampoline. Then when she's left the house I'll get a proper man cave built or possibly an extension [emoji38]

It's not bad tbf. Think he measured it 18ft x 18ft. Plenty of room for the decking and lots for the wee one to play with. Hoping for a decent size/quality Wendy house/play house and some room for a trampoline. Then when she's left the house I'll get a proper man cave built or possibly an extension [emoji38]

And a goal for the wee one (you)!!

I quite like pottering about my garden. Only takes around an hour to cut hedge grass and a tidy up. Looks good when all done. Fancy some decking as well in the future. Gardening/landscaping for a job though? Nae chance. Too much hard work

Trying to do my garden as cheaply as possible as we're renting and the landlord is a nice guy but there's no point enriching someone else too much.

This is it not long after I started. When I moved in the weeds still shown there on the left were covering the whole of the garden.

And then the second pic is it a few days ago. Chicken coop built for free from pallets, paid a few bob for seeds for potatoes in the veg garden, and the wood burner cost £20 at Lidl. Other than it's been free. 

Unlike QOS1919, I love it. This is my wee patch of planet Earth and I'm making it enjoyable to be in and good for the animals.

bdo_Ua3_V_d.jpg

IMG_20180728_134918611_HDR.jpg

Even found and dugout a sort of patio area...

IMG_20180210_124441948.jpg

IMG_20180802_192719397.jpg

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

When I first glanced at that second imagine, the first thought that came to my head was The Last of Us game for some reason [emoji38]

We rented for about 6 years before having the money for a deposit. I had even less notion to do anything. We hardly had a garden anyway but even so I didn't want to do anything. We have the front garden to do as well but it has a tree trunk in there so that'll need to be a pro as well as I'm again too lazy. That can get done down the line as it'll give us room for the cars.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I’d have been gagging to do that myself 20 years ago, but couldn’t do it now, some graft in there like. Done a wee bit to tidy up this year, as all the work was done last year. Just thought f**k it,  bought a hot tub and sat and enjoyed it this summer. Started pressure washing the front driveway and can’t be arsed to even finish that

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Am thinking about a new driveway but getting the fear about engaging contractors.

Anybody got any stories of good/bad experiences (fnarr I know) or recommendations in the Stirling/Alloa area?

Pm if needs be, ta.

Don't f**k about with cowboys. You'll just get a piss-poor job and won't be able to tell until 3-4 years down the line. If you're going for blacktop go safe and try Tillicoultry, Tarmac or Breedon. Tillicoultry first IMO.

Edit: It's worth pointing out the names above not only lay the stuff, but are the actual producers too. The cowboys buy their stuff from them, so if they're offering you a cheaper price it's because they're cutting corners somewhere (normally in the ground prep or not giving an adequate depth of material).

Edited by Spain

Don't f**k about with cowboys. You'll just get a piss-poor job and won't be able to tell until 3-4 years down the line. If you're going for blacktop go safe and try Tillicoultry, Tarmac or Breedon. Tillicoultry first IMO.
Edit: It's worth pointing out the names above not only lay the stuff, but are the actual producers too. The cowboys buy their stuff from them, so if they're offering you a cheaper price it's because they're cutting corners somewhere (normally in the ground prep or not giving an adequate depth of material).
I can wholeheartedly concur with this.

We got our driveway and path re-tarred in October last year through a "family friend", £2000 which was a great price.....
Unfortunately there is now weeds breaking through the tarmac on the driveway and it looks horrendous, still waiting on the p***k coming to fix it.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Got the bathroom done a couple of years ago by a local chap who was cheaper than everyone else. Lets just say, fair and square, I got what I paid for; hence the fear. If I'm doing this I want to do it once and not think about it again for 20/30 years.

It'll not be tarmac, with the heat this year and the ground that's under it, the cars would've almost certainly have left big dents in it - think it'll be some sort of blockwork. Its not a big area and therefore not a huge job.   

Watch out for traveller men chapping at door. BEAWARE
Shared, Airdrie x

Back to garden matters....
Normally every year I just plant "normal" summer bright flowers and then they all die off and I rip them all out in October time leaving all the flower beds empty over winter.
My question is.....
Is there any plants I can have at points in the garden that I can leave in all year, even if they don't flower, they still maybe stay green and shrub like? I've seen a few in other gardens but don't know the names of any?
Does anyone here get cuttings or wee plugs from anywhere in particular they would recommend?

The grass seed is down now. Anyone have any tips to stop the b*****d birds from eating it?

[emoji379][emoji379]. I’ve put seed down in the past and the birds will eat some but don’t think there’s much you can do. Good luck though

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The grass seed is down now. Anyone have any tips to stop the b*****d birds from eating it?

Offer them a choice of Indian, Chinese or whatever.

They'll fly off in disgust at the last option. 

Spoiler

Not a lot you can do as Ylf says.  If you can cover parts with raised netting it might help a bit but your more likely to catch a stray cat or seagull. 

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Run around the garden every so often waving your arms shouting "Wooooooo".