Top 5 Games

Stu

A thread for the part timers amongst us :D

What are your top five games that you weren't at, but followed with Soccer Saturday or Teletext or the net and really made your day?

1. Raith Rovers 1-2 St.Mirren, 2000 - A strange one, went from despair of losing a goal after 85 minutes with the Dung winning to unbridled joy when Junior popped in the winner :)

2. Raith Rovers 0-6 St.Mirren, 1999 - Every time I dialed up Teletext or popped it onto Soccer Saturday there had been another goal. Brilliant :D

3. Alloa 2-3 St.Mirren, December 2002 - Was in my digs in Edinburgh, usually go into Uni to follow the scores on a vidiprinter but couldn't be arsed. Was pissed off when I got a text telling me it was 1-0 Alloa at half time, and then whilst watching The Goal Rush (oo er) it went to 2-0. Suddenly it all changed, and it started flashing through every few minutes with a St.Mirren goal, and I ran around like a loony when Cammy put is 3-2 up :lol:

4. Airdrie 2-3 St.Mirren, January 2002 - Midweek game, Airdrie had been ahead twice, and I was still recovering from the guy on Radio Scotland saying that Brian McGinty had scored, not because of the fact we'd scored but because of the scorer, when he notched another one. Much slagging of an Airdrie fan followed at full time :lol:

5. Livingston 1-2 St.Mirren, April 2000 - Not much fun this one, was listening to Radio Scotland they said Livvytic were 2-1 ahead, then a few minutes later said big Yards had put us 2-1 in front! Radio went off and din't come back on until half time, as I was shaking with nerves. How sad :lol:

5. St. Johnstone 0 Falkirk 1 last year - the game that all but clinched it. was in forbes bar in sydney. got a text to say Taylor had scored. jumped out my seat , fist in the air and then realised no one else cared.

4. Celtic 1 Falkirk 2 years and years ago. jimmy gilmours last minute winner was relayed via the radio. our hall cupboard wall has the result painted on it so it will be there forever.

3. Falkirk 4 Arbroath 1. in a bar in Sydney staring at my phone willing text messages to come through with our score and St J. got drunk and had a random chat with crawford B and Lee Miller

2. Falkirk 2 Inverness 3. text messages again but it was the last match at brockville. :bairn

1. Falkirk 4 Hearts 0. sydney pub, drink, text messages you get the picture. it's still too difficult to talk about... :(:bairn

I presume you mean in your own lifetime, otherwise I'd put in our Cup Final win over the **** in 1922.

OK - here goes.

1. Morton 6 Motherwell 0 (1979). My dad wouldn't take me (midweek school day) and still raves about it. He now regrets not taking me.

2. C*lt*c 3 Morton 1 (1980). The game where Dom Sullivan famously put in a cross (which was turned in) after stepping off the park and back on. The **** went 2-1 up, we lost our rag (and later, Jim Holmes), half the team was booked for protesting and this knocked us off the top spot in the Premier League. We never recovered from this travesty of a result and finished 6th in the league. I didn't go to away games in those days.

3. Aberdeen 2 Morton 2 (1978). Scottish Cup. Trailing 2-0 to Premier League Aberdeen, we score two late, late, late goals and force a replay (which we lost 2-1). Many Ton fans did not leave Aberdeen for another 2 hours after the final whistle. Some did not leave at all.

4. Morton 3 St. Mirren 0 (1977). St.Mirren already promoted to the Premier League, we avenge a 6-3 defeat in which our keeper is sent off at 2-0 to Morton. Seemingly, 3-0 was kind to them.

5. R*ng*rs 0 Morton 1 (1980). Our only away Premier League win over one of the OF. The Govan stand is a shell of metal, and Jim Tolmie scores at the Copeland Road end after we scorn loads of chances. The papers said it ought to have been 3-0 at least.

Fortunately, I have it on tape. :D

AT

Would liked to have seen St. Mirren's first game in the 1st Division after relegation from the Premier League, but I was bust watching Morton. Any Raith fans catch that one?

4. Morton 3 St. Mirren 0 (1977). St.Mirren already promoted to the Premier League, we avenge a 6-3 defeat in which our keeper is sent off at 2-0 to Morton.

We also had a player sent off in the 6-3 game.

Don't forget the 5-1 win for Saïnts at Love St earlier that season :D

5. Brazil 2 Scotland 1 - 10 Jun 1998

4. Accies 4 Montrose 0 - 5 May 2001

3. Accies 6 Morton 1 - 10 Apr 2004

2. Scotland 1 Holland 0 - 15 Nov 2003

1. Rangers 0 Accies 1 - 31 Jan 1987

1. Airdrie 1 Morton 6 (2003/04) - Checking the score on my wee crap mobile during an Ultimate Frisbee tournament in Edinburgh, watching my side go 3-0 up by halftime certainly lent more joy to the evening's festivities :D

Will add more later.

Rangers 4-1 Falkirk - Purely for the fact Kevin James scored a 45 yard thunderblaster past Goram that put us 1 up :lol: Phoned home from Canada at the time and just about pished myself with laughter when i heard :D

St Johnstone 0 - 1 Falkirk - Was in Orlando last year and missed the final 2 months of the season. Missed the Stuart Taylor / John Henry winner :angry:

Falkirk 4 - 1 Arbroath - See above, Coyle hat-trick sealed the almost perfect season as a Bairn :ph34r:

Being a diehard i cant think of any more big games i've missed B) :P

1. Raith Rovers 1-2 St.Mirren, 2000 - A strange one, went from despair of losing a goal after 85 minutes with the Dung winning to unbridled joy when Junior popped in the winner :)

I was there too! :lol::lol:

That was fantastic.

Mine would be

1) Gretna 2-3 East Fife

2-0 down after 60 minutes, 2-1 down after 90 minutes, a goal in the 92nd and 93rd minutes. :D:D:D

2) Albion Rovers 1-5 East Fife

I was working and some absolute c**t told me Rovers had won 2-1. When my dad picked me up I said, "It was 2-1 wasn't it." He said "No....we won 5-1" I was rather happy.

3) Clydebank 0-4 East Fife

We got our 2nd win of the season on the last day. We absolutely nailed the Bankies and Gilbert Allan apparently scored an absolute belter.

4) Berwick 0-1 East Fife

We looked totally out of the promotion race but our fantastic come back continued to deny the English promotion on their own patch, still lost out though.

5) East Fife 4-2 Kilmarnock

I'm picking one from befrore I was born, the Scottish Cup final of 1938. We were a 2nd division club and still the only one to win the Cup, we did the doublt that year too. Not many clubs outside Glasgow will be able to say they've won a double! :D:D:D:P

p.s. Over 100,000 people there aswell, on a midweek replay.

The only two I can think of are:-

Celtic 0 St Johnstone 1 - actually went to get tickets on the monday but the office closed early as it was a bank holiday, so I bought some beer instead.

Hearts 2 St Johnstone 4 - League cup game a few years ago, 2-0 down to 4-2 win.

Celtic 0 St Johnstone 1 - actually went to get tickets on the monday but the office closed early as it was a bank holiday, so I bought some beer instead.

Was only about 50 of us there, Steve. Probably the best performance from St.Mirren that season.

I'm confused, what were st mirren doing at a st johnstone v celtic game?

Bear in mind i've not read any of the thread other than your post and may have missed something...

Guest Saint Geezer

Celtic 0-1 St Johnstone - Playing football.

St Johnstone 3-1 Rangers - As part of my punishment for a crime I didnt commit, watched it on the telly though.

St Johnstone 3-0 Hearts - League cup semi

St Johnstone 1-2 Newcastle - Was playing football again

Was only about 50 of us there, Steve. Probably the best performance from St.Mirren that season.

Bear in mind i've not read any of the thread other than your post and may have missed something...

It's Pieman's f'kin joke. Everytime someone types S.aints, it comes up St.Mirren :angry::rolleyes:

Guest Saint Geezer
You should stop going to games! That's three of our best results in recent years and you weren't there! Jinx! ;):P

When we were in the SPL every four or five games a goal for SJFC would be scored when I went to the toilet without fail it got to the stage where the old guy who sat infront of me all season was telling me to go to the toilet :lol:

I've just stopped playing football so I shall be at all the games :)

It's Pieman's f'kin joke. Everytime someone types S.aints, it comes up St.Mirren :angry::rolleyes:

Ah, that makes sense. I must've not read that part of the monthly moderators memo! My fault.

Archived