Eriksson For The Off?

ICTChris

FA set for Eriksson meeting

The Football Association is expected to call an emergency meeting to discuss the future of under-fire England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Dave Henson, a member of the FA executive board, believes the meeting will be within the next seven days.

He told BBC Sport there is "widespread concern" following revelations about Eriksson's private life.

The FA initially denied reports of the Swede having an affair with a member of their staff but later said it was true.

And some members of the board are said to be embarrassed by the episode.

The board have a 26 August meeting but it could be brought forward and Henson earlier told the Guardian: "We are left looking like mugs."

And he added: "That can't be right. We have been left high and dry.

"There's so many questions to answer and we will be expecting those to be answered this week."

And an FA Council member also said: "I don't think people are very impressed by what has gone on recently.

"Things don't appear to have been handled particularly well and I'm sure questions will be asked and explanations sought."

The situation has been further complicated by the revelation that FA chief executive Mark Palios also had a brief affair with the same secretary.

Palios had been expected to hold a news conference at Soho Square on Tuesday to outline the FA's new disciplinary strategy.

However, it was then revealed that he would not be attending the event and that Brendan Batson, who was hired to manage the review of the disciplinary regulations, would stand in for him.

There have been calls for Eriksson to be sacked, among them from former England international George Cohen.

"It is not behaviour of an England team manager," said Cohen.

"Eriksson should be setting the standards and example for everyone but he isn't."

The FA's director of football Trevor Brooking further increased the pressure on Eriksson by criticising England's performances during Euro 2004.

"Against Portugal we scored an early goal but did we sit back too much?" said Brooking, who is currently preparing a technical report on England's campaign in Portugal.

"We didn't pass the ball well enough or keep possession and when you're ahead that's an important element."

Eriksson's contract has only recently been extended until 2008 and with the FA thought to be paying the Swede in the region of £4m a year, sacking him could prove costly.

However, there is speculation that if the FA can prove that Eriksson deliberately misled his employers, he could be in breach of contract and therefore would not be entitled to a pay-off.

Former England boss Graham Taylor told BBC Radio Five Live that Eriksson should keep his job.

But he said: "When these situations arise, there is obviously great public interest.

"It is very difficult from a publicity point of view if you are found not to have given the correct answers.

"So I'm sure there will be some embarrassment in certain quarters at the FA."

To be honest, England, or more specifically their media, are reaping what the sow. The pomposity of the media's horror at this is unreal - Erikkson is a football manager, not the feckin' Archbishop of Cantebury. To say "an England manager shouldn't behave like this" is ridiculous. It's indicative of the bullshit we all heard during the Euros about "the nation" from Tydlesley et al, it's as if the England managers job is more important than the Prime Minister and Monarch combined!

I personally think Erikkson will resign, having had enough of his private life being splurged all over the tabloids. Any prospective England managers will surely think twice about taking the job given the level of hysteria that is attached to the position.

Playing devil's advocate i think the difference here is that it is a member of staff he is having an affair with therefore it could perhaps legitimately be questioned whether he is devoting his full attentions to his job.

Guest SurreySaint
Playing devil's advocate i think the difference here is that it is a member of staff he is having an affair with therefore it could perhaps legitimately be questioned whether he is devoting his full attentions to his job.

Not like he is humping her on his desk ! What he does after work is his own business :)

Guest SurreySaint
how do you know he isn't???

Well if he was then he should be disciplined. There is no indication he was humping her in Soho Square :)

Okay, he got caught shagging a bird other than his current partner.

How many times does this happen in offices and workplaces up and down the country. Lets face it, would you expect to be sacked because you got caught, having an affair with another member of staff. I think not.

Eriksson should not be sacked for this

true, he should not be sacked for this.

however, he should be sacked for being a waste of money and a complete flop (sorry). he motivated david beckham to have the most disappointin major tournament in recent history and played paul scholes so far out of position that i hardly noticed he was playin. england were beaten by a poor france side, beat switzerland thanks to a dodgy refs decision and croatia were awful. portugal were there for the beatin, some of that eriksson (the highest paid football manager in history) has to be responsible for.

true, he should not be sacked for this.

however, he should be sacked for being a waste of money and a complete flop (sorry). he motivated david beckham to have the most disappointin major tournament in recent history and played paul scholes so far out of position that i hardly noticed he was playin. england were beaten by a poor france side, beat switzerland thanks to a dodgy refs decision and croatia were awful. portugal were there for the beatin, some of that eriksson (the highest paid football manager in history) has to be responsible for.

I was only quoting on the topic title, nothing else.

As an England supporter I was very surprised about the appointment by the FA. But I think time has come on his reign. He has achieved no more the previous England managers.

He is too negative in his style of play. Lets face it the defence at the mo is shite, so why put the empahsis on defence when 1-0 up. The team must play up to its strengths and in Englands case, controlling the game in Midfield is king. England have star qualities in this department, so its about time they used it.

I know Im biased, but England looked far more comfortable in Midfield with the odd going forward than all out defence.

Why shouldn't infidelity/having an affair being punishable by disciplinary action?.Maybe if companies did this then there would be far less of it going on in the world!

If Errikkson is fired then the one main for the job,in the eyes of the FA, will be Charlton manager Alan Curbishley.Hope the FA do appoint him and finally England can progress under his managership..

Steven

The Trainbairn

Why shouldn't infidelity/having an affair being punishable by disciplinary action?.Maybe if companies did this then there would be far less of it going on in the world!

Eh? If you sacked everyone who had shagged a burd in their office most offices would be half empty!

Ruggy would be offski for that fumble in the broom cupboard with Joan Burnie for one! ;):P

The demanding of fidelity from a partner is a very strange concept. More to do with ego than anything else, I suspect.

I think people should come to recognise infidelity as par for the course.

As for Mr Eriksson, I don't think he's very good, and should probably go for that reason. However from reading today's Guardian, it seems there is a big tide of thought that believes he'll go.

The demanding of fidelity from a partner is a very strange concept. More to do with ego than anything else, I suspect.

I think people should come to recognise infidelity as par for the course.

Did your last burd sh@g your best mate or something Jim?* ;):P

* If she actually did sorry mate! :ph34r:

I wouldnt sack him for this, same as i wouldnt change my views on anyone for having an affair. WHo cares what they do in their PRIVATE lives, as long as it doesnt affect me people can do what they want.

Personally however id never even think of sleeping with someone else. :) Got the only one at home now doing my laundry :D

Got the only one at home now doing my laundry :D

Could you lend me her.

Just asked the wife where my Berwick shirt was for tomorrow, to which she replied in the wash.

Bloody hell 18 hours away from the start of a new season and its dirty. Had to hand wash it, took me back to my bedsit days :D

Guest Bhoys67

They should leave the man alone he's has done DICK all to have to go through

what is a basic waste of time. Let him stay England manager and he will win them

the World Cup in Germany :lol:

Archived