Football Kits Rip Off

Good post and well done for the home-work.

Stuart "I've eaten too many cakes" Dickson the above is an example of how to get your fact’s right. Something you really should take onboard as nearly every thread you start is full of made up stories and lies.

I just bought Saints new away top. Very nice indeed. I put No 7 on it and St Mirren FC. It ended up well over £50.00.

My choice and it is nice to know that some of that money goes to my beloved club.

Did you read Football Nations post?

Look it's a well thought out response from a man who makes a living selling the said football shirts. Ofcourse he wants to protect his business against any kind of shirt boycott. :rolleyes: He does make good points but he also admits to one thing - that sportwear companies have a low margin on these kits and that clubs put a high mark up on them as it is a major revenue provider for every club.

Not that it's worth pointing that out to you are you are clearly too stupid to understand having blown £50 on a shite piece of material that would retail unbadged at less than a quarter of what you paid for it. :rolleyes:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you read Football Nations post?

Look it's a well thought out response from a man who makes a living selling the said football shirts. Ofcourse he wants to protect his business against any kind of shirt boycott. :rolleyes: He does make good points but he also admits to one thing - that sportwear companies have a low margin on these kits and that clubs put a high mark up on them as it is a major revenue provider for every club.

Not that it's worth pointing that out to you are you are clearly too stupid to understand having blown £50 on a shite piece of material that would retail unbadged at less than a quarter of what you paid for it. :rolleyes:

Did someone force you to buy a football shirt? I haven't owned one since "the bib" in '87. Nobody forces anyone to buy them. If you don't like the price then exercise your right as a consumer to not buy it.

They went into administration because Boyle didn't want to pay his players the agreed wage anymore.

Boyle is a complete helmet. I wouldn't use that w**k as any sort of example of how to run a football club.

Neither would I. It was Lochwinnoch Saint who wanted to use his club as an example - completely in the wrong context ofcourse given that they never did run a discounted admission scheme for a complete season.... :rolleyes:

Fact is though if you look at Motherwell's experiment of reducing gate prices, it certainly has an effect of boosting the gates at those specific matches, sometimes by upwards of 50%. That's 50% more people who might get hooked into watching your club on a more permanent basis. Reduced gate prices do attract more punters in, increased gate prices drive them away. It's simple really. The more football clubs rip off the average punter, the more fans they drive back into their sofa watching football on telly.

As for these prices for football strips Europe wide, it's certainly not my experience. Indeed the Barca web shop does indeed show a complete Barca kit with prices from 35.11 Euro's - thats £27.80 for the latest home top, shorts AND socks. :rolleyes:

Did someone force you to buy a football shirt? I haven't owned one since "the bib" in '87. Nobody forces anyone to buy them. If you don't like the price then exercise your right as a consumer to not buy it.

Ofcourse no-one forced me, but I, like many other parents have kids who like to wear football strips. My two are happy with their good quality Adidas MLS acquisitions and I'm fortunate in this regard, but how often do we read on here people complaining about kids not wearing their local clubs tops? Is it any wonder considering the rip off prices being charged!

Indeed the Barca web shop does indeed show a complete Barca kit with prices from 35.11 Euro's - thats £27.80 for the latest home top, shorts AND socks. :rolleyes:

In infants sizes, unless I'm mistaken. Getting the home top in my size with my name and a two digit number would be over £50.

Ofcourse no-one forced me, but I, like many other parents have kids who like to wear football strips. My two are happy with their good quality Adidas MLS acquisitions and I'm fortunate in this regard, but how often do we read on here people complaining about kids not wearing their local clubs tops? Is it any wonder considering the rip off prices being charged!

Going by the MLS site you'd have paid the same, if not more, for an MLS shirt :rolleyes:

No it's not.

Get them a scarf and make sure they are grateful. :lol:

Going by the MLS site you'd have paid the same, if not more, for an MLS shirt :rolleyes:

Stu, I have my receipt here from the United World Soccer store at Festival Bay mall. Two Columbus Crew tops, home and away $30.00 each. An FC Dallas top $30.00. Home and Away Coronado Rapids tops, adult medium size £35.00 each. Chicago Fire tops, home and away $30.00 each. Real Salt Lake home and away tops $30.00 each. New England Revolution home top, adult medium size $32.00.

We could have added printing to the back for a further $20 but that seemed like a pointless waste of money however compared to UK prices again that is substancially cheaper.

No it's not.

Get them a scarf and make sure they are grateful. :lol:

Scarfs are a rip off too. £8 for a scarf....£10 for baseball cap. :rolleyes: I got an official Florida Marlins baseball cap while in Florida as had to protect my baldy head. It cost $6 and my kids told me I'd been ripped off. :rolleyes:

I'm just back from a trip to Florida which included two days at the beautiful and exclusive Disney Resort at Vero Beach. There we spent a small part of the evening in the Green Cabin Room chatting away to a couple from New York where the lady is a senior executive for Adidas in the US. Very quickly the conversation turned round to how expensive it was in the UK and how cheap everything is in the US. We gave some comparisions like petrol, $3.85 per gallon in the US, compared to the UK equivelent at £1.20 per litre or $9 per US gallon - or like the cost of a box of Pringles - £1.20 per packet in the UK, while Walmart sell them at $1 per box, or 51p in sterling - or like the cost of a football shirt - £40.00 for a Hummel St Mirren shirt this season, compared to $30 (£15.38) for the latest Adidas MLS tops in the Festival Bay shopping mall in Orlando.

She latched on to the last example. "US prices are so cheap on soccer shirts because clubs want their fans to wear them. It's great advertising for the club, and it's great marketing for the shirt sponsor if they have one. Infact shirt sales are seen as one of the deciding factors as to whether or not an MLS club will get a shirt sponsor at all. However in the UK clubs use profit mark ups of up to 150%. The base cost of the shirt is actually cheaper in the UK but the clubs themselves use ridiculous price increases when they badge up the same material."

I'm not saying I was surprised at this news however I did think that the reason for such a large price difference might be at least down to the fact that Adidas, all MLS tops are made by Adidas, were selling the base shirts at a reduced price, however it seems this isn't the case at all. UK clubs get larger discounts, however the greedy b*****ds running these clubs use the blind stupidity of their support to rip them off for a ridiculous pile of profit.

Isn't it time we stopped this stupid "loyal supporter" crap that we have in this country and that we use our consumerism to force football clubs in Scotland to offer football fans a much fairer deal in comparision with that of other clubs in Europe, or indeed in America. The SPL boasts that it's sold TV rights to Setanta for a record breaking price. Good! So I expect that we can see price reductions at the turnstyle.....or more quality on the pitch. :rolleyes: Will we f**k! :angry:

You cannot compare prices like for like with the dollar and the pound Stuart, its a fluctuating market, and while at the moment it is cheaper to buy there, it obviously depends on what the rate is. In the times ive been to the US, the lowest the dollar was was $1.20, the highest $2.00.

US prices also dont include sales tax which has to be added, and british VAT is a lot higher than these taxes, take into account the market is huge in comparison to the relatively small UK market and its easy to see why things are cheaper.

Its simple economics.

Scarfs are a rip off too. £8 for a scarf....£10 for baseball cap. :rolleyes: I got an official Florida Marlins baseball cap while in Florida as had to protect my baldy head. It cost $6 and my kids told me I'd been ripped off. :rolleyes:

And your kids are the arbiters of consumer goods pricing in foreign lands, yes?

My mum knits mine. And a nice jumper to match.

And your kids are the arbiters of consumer goods pricing in foreign lands, yes?

The high ranking Adidas executive gave them that role to carry out research for the company. Duh.

Check the website - I did.... :rolleyes:

Its £39.99 or £51.98 with a number, or £62.97 with name and number at the official barca webstore.

A shirts a shirt, saints shirt costs the same as a Barca shirt, even though Barca will shift a huge number and saints a relatively small number.

In a sense though, i do agree with Stuart on the pricing.

I bought last years top, but only as my mother in law and sister in law gave me cash in an envelope to spend, and my birthday co-incided with the release of the home top, i find them over the top for something i wear once a fortnight.

I went into Provan sports last week to see about getting a full strip for my nephew, he's 6 and got right into football at the world cup, he's looking forward to coming to the games, so i thought id buy him the strip. Its £58 for a full strip for a 6 year old. I do want to indoctronate him into a life of Buddism, but at £58, ill let him make his own choice.

I got him a scarf instead :D

I bought last years top, but only as my mother in law and sister in law gave me cash in an envelope to spend, and my birthday co-incided with the release of the home top, i find them over the top for something i wear once a fortnight.

I went into Provan sports last week to see about getting a full strip for my nephew, he's 6 and got right into football at the world cup, he's looking forward to coming to the games, so i thought id buy him the strip. Its £58 for a full strip for a 6 year old. I do want to indoctronate him into a life of Buddism, but at £58, ill let him make his own choice.

Did you knit it?

You cannot compare prices like for like with the dollar and the pound Stuart, its a fluctuating market, and while at the moment it is cheaper to buy there, it obviously depends on what the rate is. In the times ive been to the US, the lowest the dollar was was $1.20, the highest $2.00.

US prices also dont include sales tax which has to be added, and british VAT is a lot higher than these taxes, take into account the market is huge in comparison to the relatively small UK market and its easy to see why things are cheaper.

Its simple economics.

Hmm, except kids clothing in the UK is VAT free. You are right about sales tax which needed to be added - in this case Florida's is 6%.

It is a fluctuating market, however the cost of producing the shirts is the same worldwide and the base price of each Adidas shirt is the same worldwide as well. A club in the MLS will pay the same base price per shirt as a club in Scotland or a club in Nigeria, or a club in the Faroes. The only difference applied to the price will be in regard to volume sales discounts. What is very different is the retail price of the same shirts once a club badge is placed on them. That is because football clubs have a massive mark up on the prices of official merchandising - in the UK this will often equate to over 150% according to this Adidas Executive.

If you bought him the Barca strip from their official outlet you'd have got the shirt, socks and shorts for 39.01 Euros - or £30.89 in Sterling. Check the website, it's all there.

You're right though, how can we expect kids to walk round the streets of Motherwell or Paisley wearing their local club colours when clubs mark up their official kits so heavily. At least Rangers and Celtic kits can be bought more cheaply if you shop around, there is nowhere else to shop if you want a St Mirren or a Motherwell kit.

Like I said it's no wonder so many kids have strips from other countries these days. I guess like my family we find Scottish Footballs rip off prices a massive leap too far. :angry:

Guest bernie

I think that in reality the strips I have bought for my lad has always been good value. It is worn many times and washed , worn and washed and lasts for ages.

In comparison to a jumper or t shirt of the same price, I think it holds up .

Archived