Official P&b Cycling Thread

With our system, cyclescheme.co.uk, it has to be spent in one retailer. If you're spending £500 on a bike don't spend it at Halfords have a look at Paul's cycles as they sell last year's models at big discounts.

The received wisdom appears to be avoid Halfords. And the supermarkets. Decathlon better, but if you need advice to help make a choice a good LBS is best, IMHO.

I am looking for a cheap road bike. Any suggestions?

1) Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand carbon bike off - say - Ebay. Too risky IMO.

2) I think there's a lot of marketing pish talked about bikes. 105, Ultegra, SRAM, Di2 etc - how much difference is there really, for most folk - again IMO - f**k all or at least not enough to justify an extra £4K of my money.

I've been riding with the same guys for years. Most have got bikes that cost 2-4 times as much as mine but if I do a little bit more training than them I drop them and vice versa.

I'd just set a budget and spend a day hunting through Wiggle, Chain Reactions, Evans etc till I saw something that I fancied and go for it.

Sorry I'm not being more prescriptive but I feel you end up loving your bike whatever.

I am looking for a cheap road bike. Any suggestions?

I haven't personally been on one of their road bikes but I think that the Carrerra bikes from Halfords are pretty good.  I know Halfords gets slated a lot but I bought my Carrera hybrid from there and also my Boardman road bike and have never had any hassle with them.

The Boardman Road Comp is about £700 but the Carrerra road bike is down to £300.  If its anything like the quality of their hybrid then it will be a good buy at this price http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-road-bike-2015?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bikes-_-Road+Bikes-_-685697&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:685697&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=wrqwppxra&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344520484|agid:24344217364|tid:pla-211145759284|crid:83789280484|nw:g|rnd:10324583034095176572|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CKfJ_LuJvssCFXEz0wodDqIHxg

I feel you end up loving your bike whatever.

This - unless you've had a better quality bike previously then you should find any road bike will feel pretty good due to the light weight of it.

I haven't personally been on one of their road bikes but I think that the Carrerra bikes from Halfords are pretty good. I know Halfords gets slated a lot but I bought my Carrera hybrid from there and also my Boardman road bike and have never had any hassle with them.

The Boardman Road Comp is about £700 but the Carrerra road bike is down to £300. If its anything like the quality of their hybrid then it will be a good buy at this price http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-road-bike-2015?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bikes-_-Road+Bikes-_-685697&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:685697&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=wrqwppxra&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344520484|agid:24344217364|tid:pla-211145759284|crid:83789280484|nw:g|rnd:10324583034095176572|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CKfJ_LuJvssCFXEz0wodDqIHxg

I would only stay away from Halfords for repairs and such. I bought a few mountain bikes off them. All was well there too.

I would only stay away from Halfords for repairs and such. I bought a few mountain bikes off them. All was well there too.

Yep I'm quite lucky that I have a good local place for repairs etc.

1) Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand carbon bike off - say - Ebay. Too risky IMO.

2) I think there's a lot of marketing pish talked about bikes. 105, Ultegra, SRAM, Di2 etc - how much difference is there really, for most folk - again IMO - f**k all or at least not enough to justify an extra £4K of my money.

I've been riding with the same guys for years. Most have got bikes that cost 2-4 times as much as mine but if I do a little bit more training than them I drop them and vice versa.

I'd just set a budget and spend a day hunting through Wiggle, Chain Reactions, Evans etc till I saw something that I fancied and go for it.

Sorry I'm not being more prescriptive but I feel you end up loving your bike whatever.

This.

Personally I would say try and avoid buying second hand unless you know the owner and its been looked after well.

A bike may look OK, but replacing worn cassettes,chain rings, bearings,brackets, etc can be quite expensive

First proper(ish) ride since my crash yesterday.

Although I'd managed to keep up a certain level of fitness by going to the gym, it just cant be compared to actually getting out on the bike. 

Only did 40 miles, but was totally knackered after it.

Also made 2 fundamental errors.

1. Thought it was warm enough to wear shorts..it wasn't!

2. Deceided to take on two cyclists who were out when going along the side of Carron Resevoir and got well gubbed!

Great to be back out though

First proper(ish) ride since my crash yesterday.

Although I'd managed to keep up a certain level of fitness by going to the gym, it just cant be compared to actually getting out on the bike.

Only did 40 miles, but was totally knackered after it.

Also made 2 fundamental errors.

1. Thought it was warm enough to wear shorts..it wasn't!

2. Deceided to take on two cyclists who were out when going along the side of Carron Resevoir and got well gubbed!

Great to be back out though

Funnily enough I had my first ride (fnarr) since my crash last year on Sunday too. Went out with my buddy who did all 3 legs of the Haute Route last Autumn. Like you I was skimpily dressed but trying to hang on to him for the duration meant I didn't feel the cold! It was very warm when we left the house and I was actually thinking these sealskin gloves are overkill my hands are going to sweat like f**k. 2 hours later I was so glad of them. I must just say again 'dress for the 5th mile'! Talking about kit, gloves are such a vital thing, if your hands and feet are warm you can cope. The sealskin gloves I got in one of those flash sales on Sports Pursuit and they are excellent. Good gloves and neoprene overshoes are the way forward.

Anyhow 45.1 miles at a pedestrian 14.1 mph. The long climb from Crail to Peat Inn had me breathing out my arse and I was close to dropping into my 30 front ring.

Surprisingly I don't feel too bad today and am raring to get back out again.

One last thing when I raked my bike out the shed on Saturday I discovered I'd given it a damn good clean and a wee service when I put it away last Autumn. Worked like clockwork and thus proved a wise decision.

This.

Personally I would say try and avoid buying second hand unless you know the owner and its been looked after well.

A bike may look OK, but replacing worn cassettes,chain rings, bearings,brackets, etc can be quite expensive

Great point about front rings and cassettes. Bottom brackets as well.

I upgraded from 105 to Ultegra a couple of years ago and it seems like the only discernible difference is the Ultegra wears quicker!

Funnily enough I had my first ride (fnarr) since my crash last year on Sunday too. Went out with my buddy who did all 3 legs of the Haute Route last Autumn. Like you I was skimpily dressed but trying to hang on to him for the duration meant I didn't feel the cold! It was very warm when we left the house and I was actually thinking these sealskin gloves are overkill my hands are going to sweat like f**k. 2 hours later I was so glad of them. I must just say again 'dress for the 5th mile'! Talking about kit, gloves are such a vital thing, if your hands and feet are warm you can cope. The sealskin gloves I got in one of those flash sales on Sports Pursuit and they are excellent. Good gloves and neoprene overshoes are the way forward.

Anyhow 45.1 miles at a pedestrian 14.1 mph. The long climb from Crail to Peat Inn had me breathing out my arse and I was close to dropping into my 30 front ring.

One last thing when I raked my bike out the shed on Saturday I discovered I'd given it a damn good clean and a wee service when I put it away last Autumn. Worked like clockwork and thus proved a wise decision.

Glad to hear you're back out mate.

I never put my bike away without cleaning it (regardless of weather conditions) wiping it all down with GT85 and cleaning and gently oiling the chain.

Its a pain in the arse sometimes, but well worth it.

Too often when I go out on club runs, the majority of mechanicals happen to those who don't take good enough basic care of their bikes

Glad to hear you're back out mate.

I never put my bike away without cleaning it (regardless of weather conditions) wiping it all down with GT85 and cleaning and gently oiling the chain.

Its a pain in the arse sometimes, but well worth it.

Too often when I go out on club runs, the majority of mechanicals happen to those who don't take good enough basic care of their bikes

Cheers UTN. For a quick clean I use Swarfega wipes. Brilliant for taking off lube splashes and I run the chain through them. Takes off all the gunk.

I had a couple of outings over the weekend. 26.8 miles on Saturday morning and 11.6 miles yesterday morning.

I had hoped to make it over a steep wee climb yesterday (Dunichen Hill for those that know it) without having to stop but alas even with the 34/30 gear I had to submit for a 'pit stop'.. :P

Averaged 13.4 mph over the two rides but a long way from reaching your 'pedestrian 14.1' though... :(

The run into work on the MTB was pretty decent this morning, I'll be blowing oot ma backside going home no doubt. :lol:

Edited by broon-loon