Official P&b Cycling Thread

Out on road bike for first time in a while yesterday

Took a bit of a tumble

Broken thumb, two cracked ribs and a bit cut up and badly bruised

Probably need to get thumb pinned , but on a bright note , bikes ok

Not visited this thread in a while, get well soon.

Flying out to Tenerife tomorrow for five nights. Staying in Puerto de la Cruz and hiring a road bike. Going to stick to flattish coastal roads (rather than attempt Mount Teide :o ). Can't wait.. :)

Hope your arm is on the mend now!

For anyone out in Gran Canaria, I'd recommend this: http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/mountain-biking-gran-canaria/mountain-bike-touring-gran-canaria/

They took 4 of us up in a van to the highest point in the Island. - just under 2000m, and we cycled back via mountain tracks/ minor roads back down to Las Palmas city - took half a day to get up and down for a bargain 39 euro each all in - including the hire of some good quality bikes/ guide and lift to the top. Ok getting a lift to the top is cheating a bit, but there were enough uphill bits to exercise to give an unfit 51 year old a good workout, and the weather was perfect - 15 degrees at the top, and 25 back down at sea level

For you guys who are part of team PNB on strava or use strava. If you google strava free trial it brings up a link to 60 days free trial of premium. I know strava splits the masses i'm not endorsing it just letting you all know anything free is worth it. just accept the trial and instantly cancel it

http://promo.strava.com/britishcycling/

What are the best websites to buy your cycling gear from? I have used Wiggle in the past but stuff seems quite expensive.

i'd say amazon, frankly. I actually question the need for lots of special cycling gear eg clothes. Seems to. Me once you call it a cycling jacket it doubles the price.

i'd say amazon, frankly. I actually question the need for lots of special cycling gear eg clothes. Seems to. Me once you call it a cycling jacket it doubles the price.

Agreed, Amazon third party sellers can be a goldmine for kit. I got a pair of Pearl Izumi baggies and full finger gloves for about $35 all in.

That's me broken through the first hundred miles for 2016. Not bad going considering the weather.

If anyone fancies sponsoring me to raise money for Ayrshire Hospice let me know (I will rattle this drum all year).

What are the best websites to buy your cycling gear from? I have used Wiggle in the past but stuff seems quite expensive.

Stick what you want into google and select Shop, that will pull up most of the shops with the same item and you usually get a good deal.

For example

And

Chain Reaction, Ribble, Trendz among many others have delivered what was ordered on time.

Wiggle, CycleSurgery, Evans generally tend to be most expensive but you can get some deals form them if your lucky.

Edited by dorlomin

First ride of the year for me today. Went on my hilly route on the minor roads and it turns out that someone stole a section of road and replaced it with a mud / shit bath. Spent 30 minutes cleaning my bike when I got home. :angry:

First cycle to work of 2016. On the way home I somehow mangled the rear derailleur, 6 miles from home and a 2 mile walk to the nearest tube station.

Raging.

A couple of things can cause this, if your derailleur has been knocked by someone or the bike had been laid on the ground with the derailleur taking some weight then these can bend it. If the wheel has a buckle the buckle can be enough to catch the derailleur.

The give away is listening for clicking when you are the lowest (biggest at the rear) gear, this is when its ready to catch.

Not so much for commuting but I try to take a power link and a chain breaker with me in case this happens on a long ride, you can break the chain and ride it to the next town (or further) as a single speed. Also works for snapped chains. (Not that I always take them and have had a long walk in the past).

I cycled to and from work on Tuesday and Thursday this week which is roughly 46 miles combined. The wind chill on Tuesday's return around 17.00 and the initial 10 minutes at 07.15 yesterday was probably the coldest I have been on a bike?

I may just be getting soft with age in truth.... :(