Official P&b Cycling Thread

I can never understand cyclists who insist on cycling on dual carriageways,risking life and limb with vehicles hurtling past them at 70mph+ on the Dundee to Arbroath A92 when their is a perfectly good and largely empty cycle path running adjacent to the road the whole way,bonkers.

I don't know that cycle path, keptie, but the usual reason for cyclists preferring the apparently dangerous road is that the cycle path is in poor repair,littered with debris, thorns, glass, and overgrown by trees with branches at face height.

I don't know that cycle path, keptie, but the usual reason for cyclists preferring the apparently dangerous road is that the cycle path is in poor repair,littered with debris, thorns, glass, and overgrown by trees with branches at face height.

Yeah BR i can understand that if the path is poorly maintained but the one next to the A92 is well looked after apart from a couple of wee spots that flood after heavy rain,the council keep it in good nick,you wouldn't catch me cycling on that race track road but i have seen quite a few cyclists on it lately,they must be mad

Somehow I missed the debate on Pedal for Scotland two weeks ago. It's mostly been said but another noticeable downgrade was the absence of Scotmid snowballs and empire biscuits at Kirkliston. Still a great day though. That was my fourth and the weather has varied between good and perfect!

Yeah BR i can understand that if the path is poorly maintained but the one next to the A92 is well looked after apart from a couple of wee spots that flood after heavy rain,the council keep it in good nick,you wouldn't catch me cycling on that race track road but i have seen quite a few cyclists on it lately,they must be mad

I'm willing to bet those who cycle on the road fall into two broad camps - the "I'm allowed to use the road, therefore I will" lot, and the "I don't want slowed down on a shared path" lot (with some overlap).

But I agree with what you say. I'm barely comfortable cycling on 40mph roads, never mind 70.

I'm willing to bet those who cycle on the road fall into two broad camps - the "I'm allowed to use the road, therefore I will" lot, and the "I don't want slowed down on a shared path" lot (with some overlap).

^^^ this

Although they have made this one deliberately a bit windy and you are constantly slowed by joggers with headphones oblivious to guys trying to set pb's on Strava segments.

Equally annoying are those who cycle along Riverside when there is a cycle path immediately adjacent.

I saw someone cycling on the dualler between Perth and Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

Fûcking madness.

Roads are far better maintained, you dont have to doge all the ruts and furniture, dont have to stop to get on the "cycle path" when it appears and dont have to stop to get off when it randomly disappears, dont have endless signs saying "cyclists dismount now", are not sharing it with vulnerable road users like young children and the elderly pedestrians, are far more able to select an appropriate lane and road position for negotiating round abouts and junctions, can maintain 17mph plus with problems unlike gutters marked as cycle lanes, impede virtually no motorised traffic and run a lower risk of punctures.

Roads are far better maintained, you dont have to doge all the ruts and furniture, dont have to stop to get on the "cycle path" when it appears and dont have to stop to get off when it randomly disappears, dont have endless signs saying "cyclists dismount now", are not sharing it with vulnerable road users like young children and the elderly pedestrians, are far more able to select an appropriate lane and road position for negotiating round abouts and junctions, can maintain 17mph plus with problems unlike gutters marked as cycle lanes, impede virtually no motorised traffic and run a lower risk of punctures.

The path adjacent to the A92 is well maintained and is easily accessed from both ends.

Sure, there's the occasional need to overtake pedestrians but I'd rather be the one overtaking at 10mph, than assuming that motorists will properly overtake me at 70mph.

The path adjacent to the A92 is well maintained and is easily accessed from both ends.

Sure, there's the occasional need to overtake pedestrians but I'd rather be the one overtaking at 10mph, than assuming that motorists will properly overtake me at 70mph.

If you pish yourself at motorists over taking at 70mph. Dont leave the urban 30mph world. Leave the rural roads to those who can handle them without crapping themselves including old grannies.

Looking for some help here P&B, maybe one of you has had something similar happen.

Someone has chained their bike to the same railing as me and in doing so has chained my bike to the railing with their lock so I can't move my bike. Just noticed it this morning and had to walk to work so I'm hoping the offending bike is away when I finish work later on.

Don't know what to do if it's still there though. Any advice? Should also add, anyone planning to lock their bike up at Buchanan bus station: be a wear!

If it's a combination lock, you could try this:

Alternatively, a sturdy pair of bolt cutters should get through most cheap locks (I'm assuming anyone so lackadaisical with locking their bike hasn't spent a fortune on said lock).

Looking for some help here P&B, maybe one of you has had something similar happen.

Someone has chained their bike to the same railing as me and in doing so has chained my bike to the railing with their lock so I can't move my bike. Just noticed it this morning and had to walk to work so I'm hoping the offending bike is away when I finish work later on.

Don't know what to do if it's still there though. Any advice? Should also add, anyone planning to lock their bike up at Buchanan bus station: be a wear!

I got the bus there last week. Could have been me,

There was a spell of chancers doing that to bikes. They watch to see you try to pick your bike up, scratch your head and then walk off to work. Then they come back and hacksaw your padlock off - if anyone asks what they are doing they just say someone has mistakenly padlocked their bike - then they piss off with your bike. Probably not in this case.......

Very much depends on the path, I don't use the pavement on the Abbotsinch Road along the Glasgow Airport boundary. Narrow, bumpy and busy with peds, so stick to the 60mph road, which is quiet enough and straight enough for people to pass. Others I would jump onto the cycleway easily.

I once saw someone cycling round the A77 Kilmarnock Bypass. If they didn't get killed they were damn lucky.

I also see many cycle clubs who don't use the segregated cycleway on the A77 despite it being wide and fast.

You can't go fast in a group on the a77 path, plus it can be busy. That's why they use the road - its quiet enough anyway.

Fair enough. But cyclists complain for safer facilities- a good one is provided and it isn't used, instead people mix with traffic. It's like groups of runners using the road not the pavement as it is faster.

Coincidence all this talk about bike security as I've just bought one of these and an approved Sold Secure chain to go with it

http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

Anyone who's got a decent bike, its not cheap but worth it , as many insurance companies wont pay out if it isn't a sold secure approved lock and chain if your bike gets nicked