Official P&b Cycling Thread

After lots of research and deliberation, I eventually invested in a town a tow bar mounted Thule Euroride bike carrier for my car.

After assembling it I decided to try it out and take my mountain bike out to a nearby location.

Ironically , when lifting the rack onto the tow bar, I pulled a fucking muscle in my back.

Now off the bike for a wee while !

Alright lads, I've started cycling to work (from Fife into Edinburgh) - on a Hybrid.

A lot of folk out on Roadbikes, who all seem to pass me, I'm telling myself because of the bike rather than my fitness!

Does a road bike make a big difference to your speed, and are they generally suitable for the cycle path (few potholes etc)?

Cheers

A road bike will make a difference to your speed - they're lighter and your position is more aerodynamic. They can handle cyclepaths no problem, but watch out for potholes as it's easy to pinchflat your tyre on them.

Alright lads, I've started cycling to work (from Fife into Edinburgh) - on a Hybrid.

A lot of folk out on Roadbikes, who all seem to pass me, I'm telling myself because of the bike rather than my fitness!

Does a road bike make a big difference to your speed, and are they generally suitable for the cycle path (few potholes etc)?

Cheers

Much the same as Papad says, as many cycle paths are actually in better condition than most of the roads.

However, I'd suggest you stick with what you have for the time being and only move to a road bike if you want to get a bit more serious about cycling.

If your hybrid had chunky tyres, changing them to road tyres or half and half will make a difference and rather than make the jump from hybrid to road bike, a cyclo cross bike might be a better option, as they're suitable for some types of off-road cycling and certainly more than capable of cycle paths etc.

eta. Its not always about going fast, its about enjoying and being comfortable

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Good luck, Juan, and welcome to our wee community. Following UtN's post: I bought a cyclocross last winter as an upgrade on my old hybrid. Light and looks like a road bike. But with 32mm tyres and a bit more damage resistance.

My brother has floated the idea of doing lands end to John o'groats some time next year. How much training does it take for such an effort? And what sort of bike would be the best for it? If I do it I'll need to invest in a new one has my mountain bike certainly isn't suitable.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

My brother has floated the idea of doing lands end to John o'groats some time next year. How much training does it take for such an effort? And what sort of bike would be the best for it? If I do it I'll need to invest in a new one has my mountain bike certainly isn't suitable.

I looked into this a wee while ago, but as yet it hasn't happened :mellow:.

Anyway, CTC members did have access to a LE to JOG information booklet/webpage which is excellent if still available..?

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

ETA. I also had a good look at this..

http://www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/

Edited by broon-loon

Just to bore regular readers of this thread - but I've just completed LEJOG.

There's a few questions you need to work out answers to before you do any training.

Are you going to be supported or will you carry all your gear in panniers? If supported you get the lightest road bike you can afford and crack on. (We were supported by a mate of mine driving my crew cab pick up but you can just pay to go on an organised trip which is actually not a bad option imo) If you are carrying your own gear you obviously want some sort of sturdy touring set up. Unsupported usually means it takes longer as you can't go as far each day. As for training - depends if you start from the couch or are pretty fit already. You need to be able to ride 100 miles, over hills quite comfortably in a day. Doesn't need to be quick - we averaged 14 mph - but 1000 miles is a hell of a long way to ride and your arse needs to be pretty battle hardened.

Out on the mountain bike yesterday up and around Aberfoyle and Kinlochard.

A nice wee change from the road bike and at a more leisurely pace.

I cycled on roads I've done lots of times and noticed things I'd never seen before.

Makes a difference when your heads not down chewing the bars and your legs are screaming

Eta. Used this for the first time yesterday. If anyone is thinking about buying a tow bar mounted, 2 bike rack, I can thoroughly recommend it .

post-25568-0-16925200-1437383956_thumb.j

Not been doing any cycling of any note for the last 9 months or so, lack of time coupled with lack of commitment.

That being said - off to cycle round Arran (56 miles) on Thursday and looking forward to it. :)

Getting a weird creaking noise when I'm pedaling. :unsure:

Thought it might be the chain but I've cleaned and lubed and it still seems to be there. Doesn't seem to be affecting performance, it's more annoying than anything, just worried it's something getting ready to snap.

Getting a weird creaking noise when I'm pedaling. :unsure:

Thought it might be the chain but I've cleaned and lubed and it still seems to be there. Doesn't seem to be affecting performance, it's more annoying than anything, just worried it's something getting ready to snap.

Assuming its not your knees, it's most likely to be the bottom bracket or the pedals

Assuming its not your knees, it's most likely to be the bottom bracket or the pedals

I agree re bottom bracket but it can be bloody difficult to ascertain where these creaks come from.

It might sound daft but check the wheels haven't come loose (most likely the front) and it can also be the front chain rings have come loose. Easy to tighten with an Allen key.

I agree re bottom bracket but it can be bloody difficult to ascertain where these creaks come from.

It might sound daft but check the wheels haven't come loose (most likely the front) and it can also be the front chain rings have come loose. Easy to tighten with an Allen key.

Totally agree

I had a noise which was driving me daft

and convinced it was the bottom bracket so I changed it, but it was still there .

Checked pedals, cranks, wheels the lot, but couldn't get rid of it .

It was there for weeks and driving me mad.

I was talking to a guy about that and he suggested I take out my seat post and clean it and also inside the frame , as it may be a bit grit .

I thought he was taking the piss, but he said that carbon frames can act like amplifiers and the sound can be intensified usually around the bottom bracket area.

I decided to give it a go and to my amazement , after cleaning as suggested the noise disappeared