Official P&b Cycling Thread

I had a couple of outings over the weekend. 26.8 miles on Saturday morning and 11.6 miles yesterday morning.

I had hoped to make it over a steep wee climb yesterday (Dunichen Hill for those that know it) without having to stop but alas even with the 34/30 gear I had to submit for a 'pit stop'.. :P

Averaged 13.4 mph over the two rides but a long way from reaching your 'pedestrian 14.1' though... :(

The run into work on the MTB was pretty decent this morning, I'll be blowing oot ma backside going home no doubt. :lol:

It actually didn't feel pedestrian to me either and without my buddy towing me I'd have been slower.

Never been over Dunnichen Hill, just looking at the map you cut over from Dunnichen Church and come out on the Forfar Friock road? Right - that's on the list.

Itching to down tools and head towards the bike shed. Probs not a good idea cos I can feel the fatigue in my legs but it's amazing how a wee bit of exercise improves how you feel.

Tomorrow pm is in the diary though.

Never been over Dunnichen Hill, just looking at the map you cut over from Dunnichen Church and come out on the Forfar Friock road? Right - that's on the list.

It is indeed, although I cut back towards Forfar Golf Course @ Burnside (rather than go to the Arbroath/Friockheim road) as it's a much quieter road.

I made it up to the summit of Carrot Hill last week from the Letham side without a 'pit stop'. Nearly killed me mind.. :lol:

It is indeed, although I cut back towards Forfar Golf Course @ Burnside (rather than go to the Arbroath/Friockheim road) as it's a much quieter road.

That sounds like a good plan. If the weather is good I'm heading up there next weekend. A lot of good cycling in Angus although us Fifers tend to stick to our side of the bridge. My missus works in Forfar so I do on occasion head up there to meet her finishing, over Lour Hill. It's amazing how quickly you can cycle from Forfar to the Dobbies at Monifieth given that its predominantly downhill.

All booked up to go to Majorca for a weeks cycling in May with the bike club.

A bit out of shape, as haven't been on the bike for 7 weeks due to my crash, so have to get the finger out.

Last time I was there ( 3 years ago), we did just over 620 miles in 7 days with some serious climbs. 

Toughest day was these 3 major climbs in the same day ( 2 x Cat1 and 1 x Cat 2) with 126 miles /.

Hopefully we'll split them up this time :unsure:  

http://mallorcacycling.co.uk/mallorca-cycle-climbs/puig-major/

http://mallorcacycling.co.uk/tag/category-1/

http://mallorcacycling.co.uk/mallorca-cycle-climbs/coll-de-soller/

Looking forward to it in a "bricking it" kind of way

That sounds like a good plan. If the weather is good I'm heading up there next weekend. A lot of good cycling in Angus although us Fifers tend to stick to our side of the bridge. My missus works in Forfar so I do on occasion head up there to meet her finishing, over Lour Hill. It's amazing how quickly you can cycle from Forfar to the Dobbies at Monifieth given that its predominantly downhill.

That's nuts. I did that on Saturday (from Letham not Forfar) and then back up through Newbigging. Quick stop at Mickey D's for a bacon roll and hot chocolate en route..

A bit out of shape, as haven't been on the bike for 7 weeks due to my crash, so have to get the finger out.

Last time I was there ( 3 years ago), we did just over 620 miles in 7 days with some serious climbs.

Toughest day was these 3 major climbs in the same day ( 2 x Cat1 and 1 x Cat 2) with 126 miles /.

Looks brilliant buddy. That feeling though on the first day on the 'start' line and you haven't slept a wink shitting it about what's in front of you.

At least the climbs are fairly constant although there seems to be a wee kicker just after 3 clicks on the Coll de Soller. I

Don't see UTN on the Strava leaderboard???

Lucky booger. Never been cycling in Majorca. 126 miles with 3 Cat 1/2's is tough. We had that in the Pyrenees.

For another year you guys should look at the Corsican Raid, another great weeks cycling.

Last time I was there ( 3 years ago), we did just over 620 miles in 7 days with some serious climbs. 

Enjoy your trip UTN.. ;)

Looks brilliant buddy. That feeling though on the first day on the 'start' line and you haven't slept a wink shitting it about what's in front of you.

At least the climbs are fairly constant although there seems to be a wee kicker just after 3 clicks on the Coll de Soller. I

Don't see UTN on the Strava leaderboard???

Lucky booger. Never been cycling in Majorca. 126 miles with 3 Cat 1/2's is tough. We had that in the Pyrenees.

For another year you guys should look at the Corsican Raid, another great weeks cycling.

Sa Colabra and Soller are tough but iconic climbs.

The Puig is a total b*****d though as it just seems to grind on for ages and I was almost throwing my bike over the edge of the cliffs the last time .

I don't have Strava, Garmin or any of that  stuff tbh, just a basic wee bike computer to measure speed and distance.

Don't want you guys seeing how shite I am ;)

Italy sound a good shout, but the clubs being going to Majorca for years as we know the cycle routes and après routes well!! :rolleyes:

eta. You should try and get out there, absolute cycling heaven 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

It doesn't need to, and shouldn't, be your last question, Central. I love the chat in this thread. I was in your position 18 months ago and UtN who, clearly knows his bikes, commended the Specialized Crosstrail. In fact, I think he had one and oozed about it. In fact I went for a Giant, but the Cyclocross Anyroad which was a good bit dearer. Do you need the front suspension? It does add a bit of weight to the bike. I'm not sure what terrain demands it, but I haven't found any need for it on country roads, canal paths etc.

Cheers BR. I don't have a clue to be honest, hence all the questions. I think the difference between the two using the CTWS is only £10 a month anyway so I'd rather just get whichever is the best all rounder regardless of price, if it's really not needed then fair enough.

I'll be cycling 16 miles per day 4 times a week along the canal at the bare minimum. Anything other than that will be along the canal too or on roads. I probably don't need it when I come to think of it.

Hydraulic disc brakes make both of those bikes good value IMO.

Unless you intend serious uphill climbing the 26 front sprocket is unlikely to be used much, however both bikes seem good value.

Enjoy shopping around and as BR has mentioned earlier this doesn't need to be your last question..

Cheers BR. I don't have a clue to be honest, hence all the questions. I think the difference between the two using the CTWS is only £10 a month anyway so I'd rather just get whichever is the best all rounder regardless of price, if it's really not needed then fair enough.

I'll be cycling 16 miles per day 4 times a week along the canal at the bare minimum. Anything other than that will be along the canal too or on roads. I probably don't need it when I come to think of it.

I think you've come to the correct answer Central. If you find you want to get into MTB'ing you can get a pwoper MTB on your next round of the CTWS!

I have recently bought a road bike, could anyone recommend some clipless pedals to start out with.

I have always used flat pedals on my hybrid bike, but reading reviews online, clipless pedals sound like a must for road biking.

I have recently bought a road bike, could anyone recommend some clipless pedals to start out with.

I have always used flat pedals on my hybrid bike, but reading reviews online, clipless pedals sound like a must for road biking.

Was on a ride yesterday with this old guy - even older than me - who dislocated a shoulder in a tumble last year. He couldn't release his foot quickly enough. The fear of that puts me off the shoe-pedal systems, but I don't race and am quite happy being slow!

I was scared of clipless pedals and a friend recommended getting some SPDs for MTB instead. I've got them set to the loosest setting and it's very easy to get my feet in and out. Wouldn't go back now, makes climbing much easier.