Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

In all seriousness, instead of using an exercise bike buy a turbo trainer with feedback and subscribe to Zwift or BKool. That way you can cycle against other people on different courses and get information on speed and power. It’s much more interesting than an exercise bike and your cycling stroke will be more efficient for exercise and muscle building.

Why would I want to cycle against other people on different courses?    Next, you'll be telling me Chris Hoy's a role model and someone to aspire too.   

I plug in my headphones, listen to the Waterboys, and rotate pedals in a clockwise manner for about 4 mins.     I use it only as a brief warm-up before kettlebells. 

11 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Nice gif you posted there nade. :lol:

Thanks mate.

To be honest though your sad little trolling visits in and out of this thread are becoming a wee bit embarrassing and cringeworthy 

At least PB can sometimes be a bit entertaining , whereas your feeble attempts as a PB wannabe , make you look like a bit of a bellend.

Continue by all means though :)

Just back from a wonderful 95-mile circular.   

The weather was looking cool, but bright so I wore my Galvin Green golf suit, Hugo glasses and navy bomber jacket from Asda George.    Roads were looking slippy and so I was planning on being out for a while so I took my Trek bike "Natasha", running on 15s with the Nukeproofs and the fitted wicker basket for lunch.     

Top tip would be to wear a bomber style jacket back to front whilst cycling downwind.   Kinda acts like a sail and I must have covered the Braco- Port of Menteith section in about 25 mins.    The weather closed in, so I stopped on a slippy embarkment outside Aberfoyle for luncheon.    Unfortunately, the Baguette I was carrying in my fitted wicker was soaked to a soggy mess.   So for lunch, I ended up eating just a £1.90 block of Edam.   Made my way into Aberfoyle and discarded the remains of my cheese, tup of Lurpak, and a stainless steel bread knife in the bin. 

Started heading from Aberfoyle to Strathyre up a road which is bendy, uphill and would be best avoided by everyone.   Dismounting my bike to push, I managed to tare my waterproof trousers on the wheel spokes, after a solid 30 mins pushing I decided I would remount "Natasha".    The next bits of the ride where enjoyable left and right turn travelling downhill and I started enjoying myself until I misjudged a left-hander with an adverse camber and ended up sliding across the road, down a brachan clad embankment before resting beside a stream.   After washing my heavily blooded knee in the stream I realised my bike has a puncture and the chain wasn't on.     Thankfully I have a membership with the RAC who agreed to get me up and biking again.    

By the time I reached Strathyre light was falling and I didn't have any reflective clothing or lighting.   So I thought f**k it, and launched my bike over a stone dyke and called a Taxi to take my back to Western Perthshire.      

Previously, I was sceptical about the appeal of road cycling.   All I say is give it a go.   I had a great day.   

Just back from a wonderful 95-mile circular.   
The weather was looking cool, but bright so I wore my Galvin Green golf suit, Hugo glasses and navy bomber jacket from Asda George.    Roads were looking slippy and so I was planning on being out for a while so I took my Trek bike "Natasha", running on 15s with the Nukeproofs and the fitted wicker basket for lunch.     

Top tip would be to wear a bomber style jacket back to front whilst cycling downwind.   Kinda acts like a sail and I must have covered the Braco- Port of Menteith section in about 25 mins.    The weather closed in, so I stopped on a slippy embarkment outside Aberfoyle for luncheon.    Unfortunately, the Baguette I was carrying in my fitted wicker was soaked to a soggy mess.   So for lunch, I ended up eating just a £1.90 block of Edam.   Made my way into Aberfoyle and discarded the remains of my cheese, tup of Lurpak, and a stainless steel bread knife in the bin. 
Started heading from Aberfoyle to Strathyre up a road which is bendy, uphill and would be best avoided by everyone.   Dismounting my bike to push, I managed to tare my waterproof trousers on the wheel spokes, after a solid 30 mins pushing I decided I would remount "Natasha".    The next bits of the ride where enjoyable left and right turn travelling downhill and I started enjoying myself until I misjudged a left-hander with an adverse camber and ended up sliding across the road, down a brachan clad embankment before resting beside a stream.   After washing my heavily blooded knee in the stream I realised my bike has a puncture and the chain wasn't on.     Thankfully I have a membership with the RAC who agreed to get me up and biking again.    
By the time I reached Strathyre light was falling and I didn't have any reflective clothing or lighting.   So I thought f**k it, and launched my bike over a stone dyke and called a Taxi to take my back to Western Perthshire.      
Previously, I was sceptical about the appeal of road cycling.   All I say is give it a go.   I had a great day.   

Aye?

Need some advice and accept my apologies in advance about being a clueless twat and who also does not know the technical terms.
Anyway when i am cycling along and the chain is in the third or fourth biggest sprocket it keeps julping from one to another.
Any suggestions as how to remedy this or should i just go and visit the local bicycle repair place?

14 minutes ago, Kmeister said:

Need some advice and accept my apologies in advance about being a clueless twat and who also does not know the technical terms.
Anyway when i am cycling along and the chain is in the third or fourth biggest sprocket it keeps julping from one to another.
Any suggestions as how to remedy this or should i just go and visit the local bicycle repair place?

Turn the bike upside down, select the gear which is jumping and crank the pedals, find where the cable attaches to the rear mechanism (gear changing thingy), there is an adjuster on the cable which you need to turn 1/2 a turn (either way to start, but note where you started).  Keep cranking the pedals and adjust until the jumping stops and then make sure all the other gears select and don't make too much of a whirring noise.

You could avoid this of course and visit the Bike Shop instead.. ;)

Turn the bike upside down, select the gear which is jumping and crank the pedals, find where the cable attaches to the rear mechanism (gear changing thingy), there is an adjuster on the cable which you need to turn 1/2 a turn (either way to start, but note where you started).  Keep cranking the pedals and adjust until the jumping stops and then make sure all the other gears select and don't make too much of a whirring noise.
You could avoid this of course and visit the Bike Shop instead.. [emoji6]

Cheers.
I shall give it a go.

2 hours ago, broon-loon said:

You could avoid this of course and visit the Bike Shop instead.. ;)

This ^^

Or you simply might need a new chain as if the one you have has been on the bike for a while , it may have stretched 

ETA it may also be that the teeth on these gears on your rear cassette may be worn , hence the reason for it jumping out 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

6 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Has anyone done the Ochil Hills event before? Toying with the idea of doing the longer one.

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/ochil-hills-100-sportive/

Have done all of this but not in a oner

Looks a good route but why not just do it without having to pay £40 for a non- closed road route ?