Official P&b Cycling Thread

If you don't mind me asking, who are you doing that through? I did it last year and I think this is my last month of paying for the bike so I should be told how much I need to pay to keep it or if I get to keep it at all!

I received my letter this week, having come to the end of my 'hire' period (for my folder).

The Govt changes to the system are shite, and just complicate a facility that was assisting thousands of people in getting out of their cars, and onto a bike.

The way my employer is getting round the change is to effectively extend my hire period for a further 5 years for a one-off additional payment of £20. So, in effect, they are loaning me the bike until it's resale value is negligible, at which point they will give me it for hee haw.

Under the old system, I'd be paying my £20 now and could decide to do what I want with the bike. Under the new scheme, if I decide to sell the bike (or make any significant modifications to it), I'll have to stump up a one-off payment to meet the fair market valuation. To do this, would pretty much null and void any financial benefit gained from inclusion in the scheme. As people often want to upgrade their bike, though, being tied in for another 5 years isn't ideal either (albeit I wouldn't be upgrading the folder, and will hang onto it for convenience in any event).

It is now down to employers to find a way round the new system in order that it remains attractive. It seems to me that this is a bit convoluted, and could put many employers off, especially smaller businesses, who could do without the additional beaurocracy.

The changes were one of the reasons I opted not to use the scheme to buy my road bike. Instead, I'm purchasing over 2 years with 0% credit. I'm paying the full ticket price, but I wasn't limited in terms of choice. Many retailers also seem reluctant to sell bikes through the scheme that are discounted, or possibly the previous year's model. Again, this limits choice.

One of the big benefits of the scheme that will remain in place is the fact that the money is taken at source, so you don't feel the hit quite the same as you might with a one-off payment or direct debit.

Took the MTB to the LBS to have the rear brake fixed.... seems fine now after a bit of decontamination work. A tenner well spent, but I'll be out another 50 quid as the bottom bracket is goosed. You can see the play in the cranks, so its only a matter of time.

This cycling malarkey can be an expensive business.

ETA: update - brake still quite noisy but I can live with it. It acts as a less than subtle bell in any event :P

Further to my previous moans about adjusting to the MTB, I'm already settling back into it. Maybe that old adage about learning to ride a bike extends to different types of bike, too.

I invested in a new pair of SPD (as oppsed to SPD-SL) compatible shoes from Cyclestore - one of my favourite online outlets. Pearl Izumi All Road (an odd name for what are, essentially, MTB/trail shoes). Anyhoo, they were a snip at £35 which is half the retail of £70, and having worn them this morning, I can say they are absolutely spot-on for that money.

Again this is just a thought and an indication of how mean I have become, but if i'ts only the crank bearings that are worn you can often pick these up really cheap instead of purchasing the whole bracket kit...!

The link below is just an example - These are the bearings for some of the hollowtech2 cranks. I took mine out last year just for a look and TBH it wasn't that difficult (although I did have to buy a tool in Halfords). dry.gif

If I was you I would do some homework ie trawl the net for info' and to see if its a possible DIY job...?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item439da17bc1

As regards the grease on brake pads, it's actually copper grease which is an anti sieze compound and not strictly a lubricant. it's std practice to apply to the back of pads in the Auto Industry. It has a high melting point and as long as you don't get any on the pad material or disc there shouldn't be any negative effects in terms of braking efficiency.

Again this is just a thought and an indication of how mean I have become, but if i'ts only the crank bearings that are worn you can often pick these up really cheap instead of purchasing the whole bracket kit...!

The link below is just an example - These are the bearings for some of the hollowtech2 cranks. I took mine out last year just for a look and TBH it wasn't that difficult (although I did have to buy a tool in Halfords). dry.gif

If I was you I would do some homework ie trawl the net for info' and to see if its a possible DIY job...?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item439da17bc1

As regards the grease on brake pads, it's actually copper grease which is an anti sieze compound and not strictly a lubricant. it's std practice to apply to the back of pads in the Auto Industry. It has a high melting point and as long as you don't get any on the pad material or disc there shouldn't be any negative effects in terms of braking efficiency.

Cheers for the advice, and I will look into this.

One issue I do have with attempting DIY repairs is that I need the bike to get to and from work, so can't really afford for it to be off the road while I tinker about and source parts etc.

I've been there before a couple of times, and while I usually manage to botch something together, it can take time, and I'm never that confident that the repair will endure. Don't get me wrong, I carry out most routine repairs myself, and will generally always have a go before conceding defeat and visting the LBS, so I'll certainly explore the option you suggest.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you doing that through? I did it last year and I think this is my last month of paying for the bike so I should be told how much I need to pay to keep it or if I get to keep it at all!

It is administered through Edenred and Halfords.

Have to admit I have been very guilty of late of not having trained at all.

Been on holiday (decent excuse) but really need to get back in the saddle either on the road or on the turbo trainer.

I don't think there's any harm in having a wee break off the bike.

I'm sticking at it in case we have an enforced break such as that brought about by the Siberian conditions last December. That said, I'm just commuting nowadays, and if I wasn't, I'm not sure how disciplined I'd be in getting out on the bike otherwise.

The wind wasn't as bad as forecast so I stuck with the bike, albeit in pissing rain.

The only real problem was being stuck in traffic because I don't like filtering round a corner (no idea how much space there is further on) and it took ages to clear it. Got going pretty quickly once I did, though.

Edited by The Master

Just been in the Decathlon store at the Glasgow Fort. Bloody hell , it's like a whole online store in a building . Loads of stuff, no staff breathing over you , room to ride any bike you like and pretty good prices.

Decathlon is excellent, where my road bike comes from and some of the stuff is excellent for the money. The staff actually know a decent amount and can maintain bikes fairly well. Only problem is I spend a bit too much but I have £9 in vouchers from the loyalty card.

Decathlon is excellent, where my road bike comes from and some of the stuff is excellent for the money. The staff actually know a decent amount and can maintain bikes fairly well. Only problem is I spend a bit too much but I have £9 in vouchers from the loyalty card.

I think there's one of these just opened at Hermiston Gait retail park, if anyone's interested.

Having been away the last few weeks,got back on the bike at the weekend and last night.

Did the two bridges on Sunday and was absolutely goosed after it.

Bit of a strong headwind all the way through Grangemoth and Boness etc,but also shows how quickly you can loose some of your fitness,as it took me 3 hours.:(

Went out last night with a few guys from the bike club and went up "The Braes" to Slamannan ,Avonbridge and Shieldhill.

Bit of a climb but once up there wasn't too bad and a really nice dry crisp night.

Quickly discovering the double ring on my Allez doest give me as low a gear as I'd like for some of these climbs

I'm determined to go out as much as I can in the dark nights as sitting in the garage on an exercise bike is boring as f**k

My rear disc brake is honking like a distressed goose again, but I'm getting used to it now :D

If the pads are symmetrical .. try swapping the pads side to side ..........If that makes sense...?

It might work for a wee while ?

Otherwise, hire yourself out for at weekend..........the shooting parties are keen on lures........ :P

Finally got my Boardman Hybrid last night and just been out for a quick spin. Jeezus frig, what a difference from the old dual suspension mountain bike which you feel like you're constantly fighting against. Light as a feather and even allowing for my complete lack of fitness I was fair flying along the prom

Finally got my Boardman Hybrid last night and just been out for a quick spin. Jeezus frig, what a difference from the old dual suspension mountain bike which you feel like you're constantly fighting against. Light as a feather and even allowing for my complete lack of fitness I was fair flying along the prom

Sounds good.

I took a day off today and got up early to take the road bike out for a blast before it is mothballed, and what a difference. So light and responsive in comparison to the MTB but I felt every road imperfection.

The gearing on the road bike isn't great just now, and that is my fault for meddling when I don't really know what I'm doing. I've let my better half know that I'd like a workstand for Xmas, as I'm determined to learn how to fix up the bike myself.

Out with the club this morning and cycled through places,I've never heard of.

Out through Bonnybridge to Cumbernauld,then up past Palacerigg,Riggend and Stand and up to Airdrie.

Turned left through Plains (what a shithole) then along through Caldercruix to Limerigg and down through Slamannan to Falkirk and back to Larbert.

Total of 44 miles with some strong headwinds and toughish climbs.

Steep descent back down through Slamannan and I lost it a bit on a right hander and ended up ploughing into the grass embankment..

Thankfully didnt come off and no harm done

What's the point of advisory cycle lanes?

I just went for a wee ride to Monifieth and back, taking the coast path there and the normal roads back. One of the roads has such a path, but has cars parked in it at irregular intervals. Normally I'd just stay in the primary position when I know there's more cars to come, but when there's a lane marked at the side of the road, motorists think I should be using it and get a bit more irate than normal.

So really, unless someone can give a valid reason for having these lanes, I'd rather they just got rid of them.

Edited by The Master