Drooper

Unleash The Nade

broon-loon

Newborn Bairn

Sarge Bullman

Monkeyblair

Wisbit

Rank Badjin

Sorry to learn of your accident Drew, hopefully you are on the road to recovery, just make sure there's no ligament damage.

Anyway, count me in on this venture when hopefully, I'll be a whole lot fitter ! :P

Good to see you signing up bud!

My sair knee will be but a distant memory when we are racking up that 100 in our Team P&B ride next year!

Is 100 yards a bit ambitious at this stage?

But you'll be about for a Team P&B ride or two surely? Get your name down!

My mummy warned me about meeting strangers off the Internet :P

But in all seriousness, I probably won't. I'm in the final year of my PhD so time isn't on my side I'm afraid; ask me again next October!

Spent one of the toughest mornings out on my bike this morning.

Left Larbert and headed out through Grangemouth.Went up beside Polmont ski slope then climbed up the back of Boness past West Lothian Golf Club.

Out to Blackness,then past House of Binns towards Linlithgow.

Climbed up a fucking killer hill which too us up the back of Beecraigs Park in Linlithgow,then another climb up Cairn Papal (these climbs were blooody tough and closest I've come to throwing up through effort)

Bathgate,Whitburn,Armadale, involving a few more wee climbs,then down through Shieldhill to Falkirk.

45 mile run,legs are still gowpin!!

Probably been discussed previously, but without me having to trawl through every post in here, I was considering getting a turbo trainer and make some kinda effort this winter. I see there are magnetic and fluid types and a huge variation in prices, so your input (as in are they worthwhile?) and recommendations on type/make would be very much appreciated.

I'm taking my bike in for a service tomorrow and have the choice of three levels:

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/workshop.asp

I've decided that I'll be going for at least the £35 one, but I'm not sure whether the next level up is worth the extra £30. The prospect of my bike coming out "as new" is tempting, but is the additional stuff (stripping and re-greasing bearings, truing wheels and the transmission washed) worth it do you think?

Edited by The Master

Cleaning and re-greasing the bearings is a good shout, well worth doing at the start and end of winter. So, £30 well spent in my eyes.

I'd agree with this.

Think of it as the equivalent of an oil and filter change on the car, as opposed to simply checking the brakes and tyre pressures etc.

I reckon £65 for this level of service seems pretty reasonable.

Spent one of the toughest mornings out on my bike this morning.

Left Larbert and headed out through Grangemouth.Went up beside Polmont ski slope then climbed up the back of Boness past West Lothian Golf Club.

Out to Blackness,then past House of Binns towards Linlithgow.

Climbed up a fucking killer hill which too us up the back of Beecraigs Park in Linlithgow,then another climb up Cairn Papal (these climbs were blooody tough and closest I've come to throwing up through effort)

Bathgate,Whitburn,Armadale, involving a few more wee climbs,then down through Shieldhill to Falkirk.

45 mile run,legs are still gowpin!!

Those climbs to Beecraigs and Cairnpapple (for the educated :D) are beauties!

Probably been discussed previously, but without me having to trawl through every post in here, I was considering getting a turbo trainer and make some kinda effort this winter. I see there are magnetic and fluid types and a huge variation in prices, so your input (as in are they worthwhile?) and recommendations on type/make would be very much appreciated.

Broon, I love my turbo trainer, I have got a Cyclops Magna + I think (will check the box when I get out the bath!). I reckon it is probably basic (cost me about £130 on E Bay new) but it works superb.

I have my hybrid bike connected to it (it only takes 10 seconds to take it off) in the garage and have subscribed to Sky Go so can watch the footie on my laptop in front of me when training.

Further advices to follow....

Edit. Yep defo a CycleOps Mag +

Edited by monkeyblair

Just been out on the road for the first time in ages and had to acquaint myself which which gear lever did what!!

22 miles, 1 hour 12 minutes - end of Linlithgow and back via Kirkliston.

Good to be back. :D

Michty..........that's kinda oot o my league, so advice on the turbo trainer is definately in order.......:huh:

Michty..........that's kinda oot o my league, so advice on the turbo trainer is definately in order.......:huh:

For me a turbo is likely to be the only way to keep my fitness up over the winter as I don't like to cycle in the dark (puts going after work out) and the weekends tend to get taken up with family / football / golf.

The good thing about them is that it is your own bike you use (unlike an exercise bike) and you can use the gears to determine your workout programme - I tend to start off on easy gears and work my way through, unbelievably if you are watching footie the time flies!!

You can also buy what they call a riser block http://www.tredz.co.uk/.CycleOps-Riser-Block_4276.htm , what this does is allow you to adjust the height your front wheel is off the ground to stimulate hill climbing.

Link to my turbo trainer - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.CycleOps-Mag-Trainer-With-Shifter_4272.htm

That's my bike in for a service and I should have it back before the end of the week. Itching to get on it now, though!

I think I'll put some effort in to teach myself how to fix it up. Will save a wee bit of cash every few months and means I'm not without my bike while it's being done.

Broon, I love my turbo trainer, I have got a Cyclops Magna + I think (will check the box when I get out the bath!). I reckon it is probably basic (cost me about £130 on E Bay new) but it works superb.

I have my hybrid bike connected to it (it only takes 10 seconds to take it off) in the garage and have subscribed to Sky Go so can watch the footie on my laptop in front of me when training.

Further advices to follow....

Edit. Yep defo a CycleOps Mag +

I'm actually the opposite, Monkey. I hate the boredom of the turbo so I stick the lights on and get outside. Yeah winter weather is poor but with some decent lights and winter clothing you actually get on ok,