Official P&b Cycling Thread

That's a nightmare, mate. Sorry to hear that. I hope your insurance covers it.

Cheers bud, I got in touch with the cops and they've given me a ref. number. Might not bother to be honest, it has just sickened me. The trouble is I don't have enough space to keep it in the flat so have to keep it in the stairwell, so I bought a decent lock. Turn's out a decent lock isn't much use when they saw through the metal bannister to remove bike, lock and all. There's nothing to stop it happening again, so I'm not sure I'll bother.

Cheers bud, I got in touch with the cops and they've given me a ref. number. Might not bother to be honest, it has just sickened me. The trouble is I don't have enough space to keep it in the flat so have to keep it in the stairwell, so I bought a decent lock. Turn's out a decent lock isn't much use when they saw through the metal bannister to remove bike, lock and all. There's nothing to stop it happening again, so I'm not sure I'll bother.

Total fucking wankers!

Sorry to hear this mate.

Worth investing in an old cheap second hand one for a tenner,chaining it to the bannister again,but wiring up the bannister to the electric mains!

Dundee Uni have just posted a Facebook message advising "cyclists" to use lights and not wear dark clothing.

That made me wonder: is there a difference between a "cyclist" and "a person who uses a bike"? My view is that most people on this thread are the former -- we wear appropriate clothing, use lights, use roads, don't jump red lights etc., whereas the latter are those who give "cyclists" a bad name by doing the exact opposite.

I know that by definition anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist, but I think there's a distinction to be made.

Dundee Uni have just posted a Facebook message advising "cyclists" to use lights and not wear dark clothing.

That made me wonder: is there a difference between a "cyclist" and "a person who uses a bike"? My view is that most people on this thread are the former -- we wear appropriate clothing, use lights, use roads, don't jump red lights etc., whereas the latter are those who give "cyclists" a bad name by doing the exact opposite.

I know that by definition anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist, but I think there's a distinction to be made.

I was in Glasgow last night in the car. A guy was cycling up Maryhill Road, weaving in and out of traffic on hid bike with no lights or even reflectors and full black clothing. Absolute clown. If a car hit him, its not only the guy himself who would suffer. Very, very selfish.

Must admit,when I go out on my bike at night,I'm like a bloody Xmas tree.

As well as wearing reflective clothing.,I've got two lights on the front of my bike,one flashing,one fixed beam,a flashing rear light on my bike, a flashing red light on the back of my jacket and a flashing red light on the back of my cycle helmet.

I also wear two flashing armbands.

Just cant understand fannies who go out at night with little or no lighting,as they're just asking for trouble

I cycled over 150 miles over the weekend and topped out a 41mph. Was awesome.

how does endieinreekie's bike ride then laugh.gif

Edit- Sorry to hear about your loss mate, I locked my girlfriend to the banister but she was still there in the morning I was gutted ph34r.gif

Edited by JohnJohn

Out this morning and did the two bridges,plus a few back roads bolted on to give a total of 52 miles.

Brilliant cycling conditions,with just a slight easterly breeze.

Ironic that this is the fittest I've felt since I started cycling and it'll become more & more difficult to get out on decent runs and maintain this :(

I'd like some advice on buying a bike.

I haven't owned one for a while. My last one (a Raleigh Grifter which was great) had three gears, so I'd be looking for at least 3 gears. None of this pissing about with levers, a 5 gear bike where you could change gears up near the handlebars would be awesome.

It also has to be sturdy. I dont want to be pulling a wheelie and have the front wheel fall of - I've had that ball-buster happen before.

Edited by Polomoney

I'd like some advice on buying a bike.

I haven't owned one for a while. My last one (a Raleigh Grifter which was great) had three gears, so I'd be looking for at least 3 gears. None of this pissing about with levers, a 5 gear bike where you could change gears up near the handlebars would be awesome.

It also has to be sturdy. I dont want to be pulling a wheelie and have the front wheel fall of - I've had that ball-buster happen before.

Noting where you are located rules out a suggestion of where to buy for sure...... ;)

TBH there are so many different styles of bike these days it's a case of looking at what's out there, trying a demo (if possible) and haggling a price or at least trying to get some extras chucked in if the price is fixed.

I bought an Orange P7 pro MTB 18 months ago and it gets some great reviews. I was lucky and had a decent voucher to save some cash otherwise I could never justify it.

It's great fun looking at the shiny kit though...........:P

Must admit,when I go out on my bike at night,I'm like a bloody Xmas tree.

As well as wearing reflective clothing.,I've got two lights on the front of my bike,one flashing,one fixed beam,a flashing rear light on my bike, a flashing red light on the back of my jacket and a flashing red light on the back of my cycle helmet.

I also wear two flashing armbands.

Just cant understand fannies who go out at night with little or no lighting,as they're just asking for trouble

I pretty much swear by it. Keep it on my rucksack so it is eye level with drivers.

Bought lights out of Aldi when they had their special on. Bought the 3M Velco lights you wrap round legs, arms or whatever which are excellent and also the led front and rear. However came into the garage the other day to find both front and rear lights on the deck broken, the rubber snapped in the front one, and the plastic in the rear. Need to see about replacements, all long gone out of Aldi so might e-mail them if I can find receipt. Shame their stuff it usually decent.

I'm thinking of giving it until the end of this week then stopping cycle-commuting for the year. It's starting to get to the stage where I'm arriving at work in no mood to do any work thanks to either being knackered from a headwind, or having parts of me boiling and other parts freezing.

I might still head out at weekends, though, just to keep my joints going.