Official P&b Cycling Thread

Is it all road bike chat on the thread? Anyone mountain biking?

I done 50kms today on my mountain bike with a few lads up the mountains. shattered after it but well worth it.

Ive been doing some off roading too recently which is scary as hell but the tracks have been made specifically for bikes but what a rush

I was scoffed at very early in this thread for saying i managed 56 mph coming downhill on my racer a couple of years ago and wonder now if anyone else has done it.

Edited by Nkomo-A-Gogo

I done 50kms today on my mountain bike with a few lads up the mountains. shattered after it but well worth it.

Ive been doing some off roading too recently which is scary as hell but the tracks have been made specifically for bikes but what a rush

I was scoffed at very early in this thread for saying i managed 56 mph coming downhill on my racer a couple of years ago and wonder now if anyone else has done it.

The thread is for any kind of cycling really

Haven't managed to hit the downhill 56 mph , as the wee Sherpa had trouble carrying my bike to the top of Everest!

One phrase comes to mind here.

MAN UP, FFS! :P

:lol:

We should have made UTN post our alternative what happened on the day.... It went something like "We all cycled the 40 mile route in just over an hour to be greeted very warmly by hoards of semi clad female Swedish Cheerleaders"............;)

This was more like the scene to be fair..

a_snowman_on_top_of_a_bicycle_at_rackles_hill_phot_1593243593.jpeg

I nearly soiled myself at 42mph, so.....no.

I nearly soiled myself at 42mph, so.....no.

What is the top speed other cyclists have managed,the best i have managed is 38mph and even that was downhill with a wind at my back.

What is the top speed other cyclists have managed,the best i have managed is 38mph and even that was downhill with a wind at my back.

114 mph on the flat at Strathclyde Park during Hurricane Bawbag . This was confirmed by two traffic polis who were parked at the Bothwell side of the park as I rocketed past ! :lol:

Btw, wee Cavendish got a sore wan at the finish of today's Giro stage . :(

114 mph on the flat at Strathclyde Park during Hurricane Bawbag . This was confirmed by two traffic polis who were parked at the Bothwell side of the park as I rocketed past ! :lol:

Btw, wee Cavendish got a sore wan at the finish of today's Giro stage . :(

He didn't half, but managed to carry his bike over the finish line, so hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

This could be a tough season for Cav given the weight of expectation on him (not least placed there by himself I suspect).

He didn't half, but managed to carry his bike over the finish line, so hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

This could be a tough season for Cav given the weight of expectation on him (not least placed there by himself I suspect).

I think that the wee man's new team mates will be good enough to ensure that he keeps his sprint crown though . , , Although it's very early days, it looks to me that the guy who will lose out is Renshaw, who had hoped to challenge Cav in the sprints .

I've managed to hit 30mph on a flat, straight road with a slight tailwind. Perfect for picking up speed 8)

Anyone got any advice for fixing a problem with gears? My gears seem to be jumping a bit. When I change up a gear it occasionally jumps up 2 gears and I then have to change down one to get to the right gear. Occasionally, when I press the shifter the gear doesn't change at all and then have to press it again to actually get it to change. Anyone got any suggestions? Is this an easily fixable problem (for someone who hasn't got a clue how bikes work) or is it going to have to go to the shop?

In addition, the bike doesn't seem to be going as smoothly as it normally does, it seems to require more effort to get it to move, especially in the higher gears. Could just be my legs of course!! Any suggestions?

Anyone got any advice for fixing a problem with gears? My gears seem to be jumping a bit. When I change up a gear it occasionally jumps up 2 gears and I then have to change down one to get to the right gear. Occasionally, when I press the shifter the gear doesn't change at all and then have to press it again to actually get it to change. Anyone got any suggestions? Is this an easily fixable problem (for someone who hasn't got a clue how bikes work) or is it going to have to go to the shop?

In addition, the bike doesn't seem to be going as smoothly as it normally does, it seems to require more effort to get it to move, especially in the higher gears. Could just be my legs of course!! Any suggestions?

The rear mech (gear changing thingy) regularly needs adjusting to allow for cable stretch.

If you follow the cable down to the rear mech there is usually an adjuster there.

Note it's position and turn it one turn (probably anti-clockwise) and see if it helps. Try one more turn if it doesnt?

You can always go back to the start position if you note it first.

I've attached an image to locate the adjuster.

post-22072-0-88642700-1336559501_thumb.j

The rear mech (gear changing thingy) regularly needs adjusting to allow for cable stretch.

If you follow the cable down to the rear mech there is usually an adjuster there.

Note it's position and turn it one turn (probably anti-clockwise) and see if it helps. Try one more turn if it doesnt?

You can always go back to the start position if you note it first.

I've attached an image to locate the adjuster.

Thanks muchly my fellow Angusian, I shall give it a try.

Ps Anyone got any advice for tightening disk brakes? I'm having to fairly pull down hard on the rear brake lever to get any response from the brakes, and don't want to rely too much on front brakes.

Sorry to be so annoying about the basics, but as mentioned above I am not too familiar with bike maintenance.

Edited by endieinreekie

Out with club last night and posted my best training night time.

27 miles in 1 hour 17 minutes,which was an average of just over 21 mph,no bad considering a bit gusty and a few wee climbs.

Must have been Broon-Loons bridie that gave me added energy :lol:

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Out with club last night and posted my best training night time.

27 miles in 1 hour 17 minutes,which was an average of just over 21 mph,no bad considering a bit gusty and a few wee climbs.

Must have been Broon-Loons bridie that gave me added energy :lol:

Wind Power................? ;)

Impressive time BTW......!

Anyone got any recommendations on places for a decent bike service in the Glasgow and Paisley area.

Nothing too dramatic, just want wheels trueing and everything cleaned up / tightened and oiled before the summer comes (I hope). Could do it myself but can't be bothered with the wheel trueing I always find it to be a major PITA so if someone is willing to do it for a couple of notes I'd chuck it there.

Anyone got any recommendations on places for a decent bike service in the Glasgow and Paisley area.

Nothing too dramatic, just want wheels trueing and everything cleaned up / tightened and oiled before the summer comes (I hope). Could do it myself but can't be bothered with the wheel trueing I always find it to be a major PITA so if someone is willing to do it for a couple of notes I'd chuck it there.

Have you tried Dooleys on Moss St?

Thanks muchly my fellow Angusian, I shall give it a try.

Ps Anyone got any advice for tightening disk brakes? I'm having to fairly pull down hard on the rear brake lever to get any response from the brakes, and don't want to rely too much on front brakes.

Sorry to be so annoying about the basics, but as mentioned above I am not too familiar with bike maintenance.

Mechanical or hydraulic discs?

If you have hydraulic brakes you might have some air in the hose or caliper so might have to bleed them. it's a pretty straightforward exercise, but you might need to buy some spare fluid in case you lose some or need to top up.

If the brakes are mechanical, I'd imagine you'll need to adjust the cable tension. I'm not sure how this is done, TBH. Presumably it isn't that different from adjusting other cable operated brakes.

I enjoyed a wee 20 mile blast tonight, though I didn't let my tea settle sufficiently so felt a bit rough at first. Local lanes for the first section of the journey with some poor surfaces, but almost no traffic, and a busier return leg, with a wee prick of a boy racer blasting his horn as he passed me <_<

Shite weather tomorrow and into Friday by all accounts but improving for Saturday, so that looks like the best day for a decent run-out.

Edited by Drooper

I tend to use Evans as that's where i have got my bikes from cant complain about the service but as Drooper posted about dooleys i may try there next as the took my bike after my crash and checked it over for free

I do downhill, well I did, been sitting in the house for 3 weeks now with a suspected broken foot, still it's better than being a roadie :P

ps reading this thread are you all loaded and have no mechanical sense? Bikes are really really simple to fix.....

Edited by stevenc1991

My gears seem to be jumping a bit. When I change up a gear it occasionally jumps up 2 gears and I then have to change down one to get to the right gear. Occasionally, when I press the shifter the gear doesn't change at all and then have to press it again to actually get it to change.

Did you manage to get this fixed?