Official P&b Cycling Thread

If I lived closer by and wasn't suffering from some horrendous gastro bug, I'd have been up for it.

Mrs B has been struggling with a 'tummy bug' since Friday. Anyone else suffering the dreaded "Lurgy"....?

At least you'll no blame the Bridies though Drooper Sir....;)

Just back, it was a good event and some decent kit on show. Had to leave before the end as I had the kids with me. I believe there are highlights on itv4.....

Tomorrow I think.....?

I take it the kit was "bike related"...................?;)

Mrs B has been struggling with a 'tummy bug' since Friday. Anyone else suffering the dreaded "Lurgy"....?

At least you'll no blame the Bridies though Drooper Sir....;)

Aye, I've not actually barfed but I've got the constitution of an ox when it comes to keeping things down (this isn't always a good thing). Instead it has been a lingering sense of nausea and listlessness, much like the feeling I get when I look in the mirror most mornings.

Grr to the guy who nearly knocked me off tonight. If you were confused why I was pointing and angry as I cycled past it was because you drove like a cock.

Came up the inside of traffic queue and the light changed so, moved over in front of him as the cars ahead pulled off. This was road with 2 lanes, in town and traffic was fairly light. Even so I was keeping up with the car infront. Never the less he overtook me and whilst going round a bend, changed lanes to pull back into that one before the next set of lights and squeezed me between the railings and his car. Must have been 3 inches between my handbars and his car and my foot hit the kerb on the otherside. Very thankful I didn't come off at that point, or get clipped by his car.

Was livid so just did with pointing and a what was that gesture as no way I could bite my tongue and he had kids in the car. Didn't seem to realise what he'd done. By far the worst moment I've had and closest to an accident in a long, long time. Can see why commuters get cameras.

I've had three bus drivers try to kill me in less than a week.

One pulled out of a stop in front of me (after letting cars go past), one overtook then went to pull into a stop and another today overtook then tried to pull back in to undertake a right-turning car. I ended up slapping the side (that's how close he was) as a way of saying "f**k off". I think he was kind of pissed off that I'd managed to stay ahead of him for near enough the entire 2 miles or so we were on the same road.

Had another bump this morning.

The car I was behind braked suddenly because the one in front of him did likewise and even though I pulled on my brakes, the wet road surface took me into the back of him. It was at low speed, but I still went tumbling and cracked my chin off his boot. Bike is fine, and all I've got is a lump on my chin and a bit of a sore jaw. On the plus side, the guy hit was a doctor so I was able to get an immediate check-up :lol: There was no damage to his car either, and he completely understood what happened.

Edited by The Master

I've not been able to get out at all this week due to this man flu/gastro virus thing that has floored me.

Not the best preparation for the Skye Mor a week tomorrow. 95 miles in christ only knows what conditions.

I'm still feeling like shit, so the earliest I reckon I'll get out is mid-week for a quick hurl. Bloody typical.

Airbag helmet.........! Really not sure about that. And how would it work small little falls when helmets are at their most useful. Helmets are great for anything below 20mph, but above something like 27mph rapidly cease to be much help.

Actually reworking this to be additional protection to the helmet might be a great idea.

The other great bugbear of helmets is spinal injuries, they are alleged to increase the risk of rotational damage due to getting caught on the ground as the body rolls. This seems to be less of an issue with the airbag.

Airbag helmet.........! Really not sure about that. And how would it work small little falls when helmets are at their most useful. Helmets are great for anything below 20mph, but above something like 27mph rapidly cease to be much help.

Actually reworking this to be additional protection to the helmet might be a great idea.

The other great bugbear of helmets is spinal injuries, they are alleged to increase the risk of rotational damage due to getting caught on the ground as the body rolls. This seems to be less of an issue with the airbag.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. My fear would be that it would inflate if I coughed :ph34r:

The first one is in Halfords, therefore it's a heap of shite.

Sorry, not very helpful :ph34r:

Carrera bikes are generally well reviewed, to be fair. Halfords service and after-sales is pretty shite, but the bike is probably decent for that money.

What are you buying them for? Offroading or just street commuting?

Neither are awful, but you will be getting a cheap bike with cheap parts that will tend to wear quickly. That said if you are just doing 5-10 miles a day then they should not be too bad.

If you are not going to be doing a lot of off roading you may want to look more at a hybrid that will have a larger wheel and thinner tyres so take less effort to keep moving. The downside is off road the wheels are not quite so good at going through soft terrain.