Official P&b Cycling Thread

Given your height, you could wait forever before picking up a second-hand bike that fits you perfectly.

My advice would be to set a realistic budget and do some online research. Modern aluminium frames are extremely strong, so that shouldn't be an issue even if you're a big guy. You should be able to pick up a decent bike from 2011 or even 2010 ranges with significant discounts given that you'll be looking for a XL frame, and these won't sell as quickly as standard bikes. Check the likes of Evans, Chainreaction, Cycles and Wiggle (they have massive stock), but don't forget the other, smaller outlets.

It's also worth dropping into a high street bike shop so you can suss out the size you need. Avoid BSOs (bike-shaped objects) from Argos etc., as they are a false economy.

You should be able to get something pretty decent for around £300 - £350 (perhaps discounted from the original price by up to 40%, so it would have decent kit).

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice. I actually managed to pick up a circa 1989 Rayleigh Equipe. It has a 60cm frame which with the seat up is just about right. It had just been serviced and the frame was in good shape. £90 from gumtree

Thanks for the advice. I actually managed to pick up a circa 1989 Rayleigh Equipe. It has a 60cm frame which with the seat up is just about right. It had just been serviced and the frame was in good shape. £90 from gumtree

Good stuff mate, happy cycling ! :D

My mate and I are cycling around Arran on Sunday 15th.

It's the longest cycle we will have done - think it's 5 miles longer than Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Anyway, any pointers etc what to do, what not to do, places to stop for food etc.

All advice greatly received :thumsup2

It's the longest cycle we will have done - think it's 5 miles longer than Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Anyway, any pointers etc what to do, what not to do, places to stop for food etc.

Only stop if you have a cafe etc to go inside to eat, 'cause if the damp humid weather continues, you'll get eaten alive by midges if you stop outside

Coffee Pot in Whiting Bay does the best bacon rolls in Scotland.

I've entered the "pedal for Scotland" Glasgow to Edinburgh charity ride in September (the 50 mile one) to get more into cycling and get fitter. Really just started using a road bike this year.

Got the train into Glasgow and cycled the route back to Falkirk via Avonbridge. 36 miles in total and completely f*cked at the end. Made even trickier as one of the screws came off my cleats and I couldn't get my shoe off the pedal clip without taking it off. <_<

Made stopping at junctions tricky! :D

Left my bike at Drumgelloch Railway station, came back to find the tyres let down, el-cheapo pannier bag taken, lights stripped off the bike and they had buckled the back wheel. So much for CCTV being a deterrent. :angry::angry:

Cycled to work today for the first time since moving house. Kirknewton to Ratho and then along the canal path to Sighthill Industrial estate, not sure how far it was but took about 40 mins (looking to cut this down to under 30 minutes). It was a nice ride along the canal, very peaceful, not looking forward to the return trip which is mostly uphill from the canal to Kirknewton. Good to get back on the saddle again and hopefully can do it at least twice a week (need to drop wean off at nursery the other 3 days).