Official P&b Cycling Thread

I did around 3 hours of off-road cycling on Tuesday and another 3 hours today. Due to it being off-road I don't cover anywhere near the distances many folk on here do.

For the last 45 minutes on Tuesday the heavens opened and we got SOAKED. It was great :)

Anyway for anyone from the Falkirk area who doest know, Callendar Estate has some terrific new Cycle paths. Not very challenging but great fun and if you include them in your cycle they can give you a decent fun workout.

Info can be found here for anyone interested

http://www.callendarestate.co.uk/

:)

So...looking for some advice.

We are about to set off on a wee bit of a charity cycle. Starting on Saturday, three of us are going to cover 500 miles in the saddle from Mull of Galloway to John O'Groats. In 5 days straight.

Anyway, I rolled the bike out this morning for a wee photoshoot for the local paper (famous and ahin!). Tried to pedal - nothing. Thought the chain was off, but it wasn't. Eventually it clicked into place and started working.

Think the pawls in the freehub just got a bit stuck but just thought I'd ask the guys on here who are in the know if you've seen that before and if so, did it become a recurring issue? Basically...Can I just ignore it if it's working again?!

I've had the bike since March and covered just over 2,000 miles on it without a hint of an issue, sods fucking law that two days before we set off I start having mechanical problems!

TBH, if you're using the bike for a long ride over several days, it might be worth biting the bullet and getting your local shop to have a look at it. You might be right about the freehub seizing a bit, but it could be your bottom bracket (though that's less likely, as you'd have noticed that it was packing in with excess play/grinding etc).

I'm less informed than many on here, but would think that something as fundamental as your cranking powering the bike is worth getting checked out before embarking on a big ride.

ETA: best of luck on the ride - sounds a belter!

I think your spot on with the freewheel issue, but you never know, there may be other gremlins somewhere?

Best get your LBS to have a wee look before you set off, or (if possible), borrow a compatible rear wheel...?

Best of luck on the venture BTW.......;)

TBH, if you're using the bike for a long ride over several days, it might be worth biting the bullet and getting your local shop to have a look at it. You might be right about the freehub seizing a bit, but it could be your bottom bracket (though that's less likely, as you'd have noticed that it was packing in with excess play/grinding etc).

I'm less informed than many on here, but would think that something as fundamental as your cranking powering the bike is worth getting checked out before embarking on a big ride.

ETA: best of luck on the ride - sounds a belter!

I think your spot on with the freewheel issue, but you never know, there may be other gremlins somewhere?

Best get your LBS to have a wee look before you set off, or (if possible), borrow a compatible rear wheel...?

Best of luck on the venture BTW.......;)

Cheers guys, going to take it along to LBS (Spokes) to have a look. You've read my mind broon - have borrowed my colleague's spare wheel (handmade and still in it's box so I don't want to use it unless I really need to).

The rear wheel sounds a bit 'crusty' when freewheeling, suggests to me it's full of dirt. If it wasn't so close to the event, I would have had a go at overhauling it but don't fancy doing any work on the bike myself at this stage so LBS it is.

Cheers for the messages of support chaps as well, it's going to be the hardest thing i've ever done but looking forward to it. Particularly looking forward to riding some of the roads out on the west coast, if we get even a few hours of good weather then I think we are in for a proper treat! I set out to raise £500 for Cystic Fibrosis Trust - hoping now that I can take that up to £750+ so not bad.

My Rear wheel has broken off. the bolt thing snapped completley and I lost all my ball bearings and a shit load of the wee fiddley things like washers and such.

Is It worth getting it fixed or should i just get a new one?

also I only know of shite like halfords about my way who fix bikes am I best looking up a Local shop? I take it i am

Recently started cycling because running just ends up with me in pain.

While me and my dad have been sorting out the Claud Butler I've been using his good bike. Which is a made-to-measure Terry Dolan number (thankfully we're the same height.)

I experienced my first wind-ruined ride earlier today. I done 11 miles the other day and felt absolutely fine. Today I was fucked after 5 miles straight into a headwind. I have impressed myself by going 45 mph downhill.

Overall, it's a pleasant way of keeping fit. :)

My Rear wheel has broken off. the bolt thing snapped completley and I lost all my ball bearings and a shit load of the wee fiddley things like washers and such.

Is It worth getting it fixed or should i just get a new one?

also I only know of shite like halfords about my way who fix bikes am I best looking up a Local shop? I take it i am

I've used Pro-Am cycles in Wellgate St., Larkhall. It's a small shop owned by a guy who is a cyclist.....he knows his stuff and I've found his prices to be reasonable .

:)

Finally got around to installing my clipless pedals. Can't say I've noticed much difference although I knew when I was testing them after I installed them that the set up was wrong and I could feel it in my left knee. Went home and spent ages getting all the foot positions and tensions right so hopefully that will be better.

I've also got lazy in changing gears, which another cyclist pointed out to me that I was in too high a gear as he passed by. laugh.gif

Brothers, this has probably been asked hundreds of times but can anyone recommend a, reasonably priced, bike?

Living in Edinburgh, it's the best (only) way to get about quickly at the moment, I don't know where to start with what I should be looking for though.

Cheers.

Depends what you want out of it. Just a simple hybrid bike for commuting or road bike for more serious riding? Budget? New or second hand?

Can do worse than looking in Local Bike shops and speaking about what you require. Decathlon are good as cheap chain stores go.

Had a look at my bike and it is completely fucked. In general. So i am just going to get a new one.

Can anyone recommend a decent bike. It'll be used on roads, pavements and dirtpaths, red ash etc.

Thanks

Had a look at my bike and it is completely fucked. In general. So i am just going to get a new one.

Can anyone recommend a decent bike. It'll be used on roads, pavements and dirtpaths, red ash etc.

Thanks

The fact you have added dirt paths has thrown me here..!

Without the dirt paths, I would've suggested a Hybrid with road wheels and sturdy tyres was your answer.. however it may be that a hard tail MTB is what you need?

Work out your budget, go shopping both on-line and at your LBS. If I was you, I would hang off until late October or even later and try to pick up a bargain as they want to get rid of this years models to make room for new stock.. ;)

Desperately looking at buying a new push iron as this running crap is so boring and you can't admire the sites as much especially along the costal routes and up over the hills, I had a specialized that I bought from Leslie bike shop and it got pinched by some fucking w****r in my army barracks chained up the lot so £600 down the drain and was waiting to insure it with my other home insurance. So I'm looking at bikes seen a few on eBay, gumtree etc and have my mind set on an orange sub 3 but if I do I'm buying a motorbike padlock and it's getting chained up all the time. Chain reaction cycles have a sale on at present for any of those who are interested?

Edited by lovetheRaith

ratrace.co.uk are doing a london to edinburgh cycle over 4 days (or two if you are up to speed on EPO Doping laugh.gif) looks pretty decent, Me and a couple of mates are considering it only draw back is getting the bike to the start line, not sure whether to plane or train it down

Thanks

You could do worse than look at a cyclocross. That's what I'm seriously considering at the moment.

Starting to cycle in to work from this week onwards. Training towards my third triathlon next year. Need to get the work shirt and shoes in with me though. Could any P+Bers recommend a decent quality, reasonably priced pannier for a road bike? Budget £50-100.

I get bored of running and hitting the gym, so I decided to splash a few quid on a mountain bike. Plumped for this one. Aye it was cheap, but it is a pretty good bike as far as I can tell, does everything I need. I took it out for the first time this morning and covered about 22 miles to get used to it (and because I was blowing about my arse after about 10ph34r.gif). The objective now is to up the fitness, leg strength and the miles I cover every Sunday. I felt decent when I got done, stepped off the bike and was walking like pished tramp. My legs were like rubber......still enjoyed it mind you.

I get bored of running and hitting the gym, so I decided to splash a few quid on a mountain bike. Plumped for this one. Aye it was cheap, but it is a pretty good bike as far as I can tell, does everything I need. I took it out for the first time this morning and covered about 22 miles to get used to it (and because I was blowing about my arse after about 10ph34r.gif). The objective now is to up the fitness, leg strength and the miles I cover every Sunday. I felt decent when I got done, stepped off the bike and was walking like pished tramp. My legs were like rubber......still enjoyed it mind you.

Och just you wait, you'll be looking at road bikes before you know it biggrin.gif

By ra way, have we all signed up for the Pedal for Scotland event again?

Too fucking right!!! I nearly collapsed off the couch when I saw the cheapest one I had my eye on was £369.99. The dearest was well over £1,500.ohmy.gif

They get even more expensive than that.

My road bike was £600 but sadly this shitty weather over the summer, not to mention the wife being heavily pregnant, put the kaibosh on me heading out too much. Still got a few 30+ milers under my belt. Really enjoy it and planning on cycling to work most of the time, when it's dry (I love running in the rain but hate cycling in the rain).