Official P&b Cycling Thread

Finally took the plunge and upgraded my crumbling, rusty, two ton, ten speed mountain bike, for a sleek and sexy steel framed track bike. As this means it is probably going to be a more substantial target for theives any advice on tagging, RFID chips, GPS trackers, or whatever would be nice.

Is it worthwhile putting any sort of chip in my frame, is it really going to deter a thief any more than an extra U-Lock?

I don't think a chip will deter thieves, but they will help you get it back (and/or kick seven bells out of the scroat) - http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp

£97.50 + VAT.

Finally took the plunge and upgraded my crumbling, rusty, two ton, ten speed mountain bike, for a sleek and sexy steel framed track bike. As this means it is probably going to be a more substantial target for theives any advice on tagging, RFID chips, GPS trackers, or whatever would be nice.

Is it worthwhile putting any sort of chip in my frame, is it really going to deter a thief any more than an extra U-Lock?

Personally I go with this....

The Abus Granit

The lock. Heavy but built like a fortress.

I use that through the frame and one wheel onto the bike stand and a little mini D Lock through the other wheel to keep that locked to the frame. Locks are only as good as what you chain them too.

Here in London the police do free marking of bikes. Might be worth checking if a similar scheme is running near you. Wont deter people but helps to get it back if you do recover it.

I'm currently looking for a gps/cycle computer going by google Garmin seems to be the one. I've been using my phone to track my rides with a standard cycle computer also etc any recommendations on a good bit of equipment

I bit the bullet earlier this year and bought a Garmin edge 200.

Garmin were offering £30 cash back (although I haven't got that yet..)

It's a decent bit of kit, basic, but that suited me. You download the stored information to 'garmin connect' for analysis. It uses a usb cable to do this and it charges when connected to the PC.

The more expensive Garmin machines have detailed maps on display and some I believe use bluetooth to connect to the PC, but the 200 just gives you the basic information such as speed, time, average etc when you ride.

I'm very happy with it..

My Daughter has recently taken to meeting up with a local running club and she uses the garmin to monitor her progress. She just carries it in her hand, but its small enough to fit in a wee pocket.

I bought mine in Halfords on a promo weekend and saved some cash as well :D

http://www.halfords....rid:15364118404

I thought about buying a GPS next year at some point, but have since decided that I want a new bike to put it on first!

Now, I deliberately say that I want a new bike. I don't need one, nor am I 100% confident that this time next year I will have one, either.

I have to acknowledge that my desire for a new bike is a bit irrational. My current bike is more than adequate for my purposes, and I've only had it for 18 months. If I'm being brutally honest, I don't want a new bike, I want another bike. I have no intention of getting rid of the Cube - I love it. It would be my winter/commute bike.

Can I justify this in any way, shape, or form? Probably not. Does that matter? Probably not.

Perhaps I should just buy a GPS after all, but.... :ph34r:

Yup and was on the outing.

Tragic events as Tom was truly one of lifes real gentlemen and a phenominal cyclist

So sorry to hear that.

I read the news story at the weekend, but didn't guess it might be your club.

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to have been there. Truly awful, mate. My thoughts are with his family and the rest of his mates in the club.

So sorry to hear that.

I read the news story at the weekend, but didn't guess it might be your club.

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to have been there. Truly awful, mate. My thoughts are with his family and the rest of his mates in the club.

Cheers Drooper,much appreciated

I've had better weekends

http://www.scotsman....-bike-1-2556994

Totally gutted by this

Really sorry to hear of this.Like Drooper I had heard of this but didn't make the connection...couldn't have been easy being there UTN.

Condolences to his family. and all who were close to him..

Edited by chuckles

Cracking day to get out on the bike. I'm about to set off for a wee hurl over the Glen Fruin, back through Helensburgh and over the back road to Balloch and then home. Only about 35 miles in all, but I'm looking forward to getting out for a decent ride for the first time in a while.